The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Opposing players stay backcourt (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60481-opposing-players-stay-backcourt.html)

OnePutt Thu Jan 13, 2011 09:49pm

Opposing players stay backcourt

GV tonight. Team A has a hot-shot who has made everything she looked at for three quarters. For the fourth quarter, Team B puts a defender in her shorts full court and is shutting her down. You know the routine: Hot-shot gets frustrated and commits a couple of pushing fouls trying to get open. Things are getting chippy, so she and the defender are being watched closely. Next time up the court for Team A, Hot-shot and defender-in-shorts stay in the backcourt. Ball is in frontcourt and I'm Trail trying to referee my primary AND watch these two knuckleheads in the backcourt. Should I merely open up and try to referee both?

26 Year Gap Thu Jan 13, 2011 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnePutt (Post 715615)
GV tonight. Team A has a hot-shot who has made everything she looked at for three quarters. For the fourth quarter, Team B puts a defender in her shorts full court and is shutting her down. You know the routine: Hot-shot gets frustrated and commits a couple of pushing fouls trying to get open. Things are getting chippy, so she and the defender are being watched closely. Next time up the court for Team A, Hot-shot and defender-in-shorts stay in the backcourt. Ball is in frontcourt and I'm Trail trying to referee my primary AND watch these two knuckleheads in the backcourt. Should I merely open up and try to referee both?

Unfortunately, it would appear that you might miss a double foul if you don't.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03pm

Quote:

Three person? Stay in the backcourt.

Two person? You've got to do the best you can.

RobbyinTN Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 715632)
Three person? Stay in the backcourt.

Two person? You've got to do the best you can.

Exactly. It puts more pressure on your Lead but if you turn your back on those two players you will probably look back to see something bad taking place. Maybe position yourself parallel to the sideline so that you can try to see your PCA plus these players.

Robby

TimTaylor Fri Jan 14, 2011 02:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 715616)
Unfortunately, it would appear that you might miss a double foul if you don't.

Or worse. Had something like this in a BJV game once. Hot shot traveled due to defensive pressure and was clearly upset and frustrated....instead of hustling back down court on defense, he held back....gut feel told me something bad was about to happen so I hung back a little - caught the hot shot trying to throw a deliberate elbow to the other one's head/neck area...earned himself a flagrant T for that one.

jeffpea Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:54am

Quote:

Should I merely open up and try to referee both?

whenever you have identified a troublemaker(s), you MUST watch them at all times. easier said than done in a 2-person game, but you CANNOT take your eyes off of them...let your partner officiate the other 8 players as best he/she can....

i guess the question i would ask myself is: "which will cause more problems in this game - a missed travel/foul by the 8 players OR a missed elbow to the back of the head by a troublemaker?"

bob jenkins Fri Jan 14, 2011 01:24pm

One possibility, expecially if A is not directly attacking the basket, is to blow your whistle and loudly tell A1 and B1 to knock it off, or tell your partner that you will stay back to watch, or someother way get the message to the players / coaches. Good coaches will help you with the players (either by talking to them, or taking them out of the game).

bob jenkins Fri Jan 14, 2011 01:25pm

One possibility, expecially if A is not directly attacking the basket, is to blow your whistle and loudly tell A1 and B1 to knock it off, or tell your partner that you will stay back to watch, or someother way get the message to the players / coaches. Good coaches will help you with the players (either by talking to them, or taking them out of the game).

tref Fri Jan 14, 2011 02:43pm

2 or 3 person I've found the "put em on blast" method to be quite effective. In your sitch prior to the FT being administered, "partner, I've got WHITE 14 & BLUE 11 in the backcourt."
They know you're watching, their coaches know & the fans know. Unless they are a couple of knuckleheads they generally knock it off.
If not, we all know where to send knuckleheads. :D