The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   lane violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60478-lane-violation.html)

KenL.nation Thu Jan 13, 2011 04:00pm

lane violation

I was officiating a youth game and whistled a step in by Team B, I awarded the shooter another free throw. After the game I was informed by the awaiting officials of the next game, that there wasn't a lane violation due to the fact that the ball never touched the rim. I looked throughout the rules and could not find a ruling that pertains to this.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 13, 2011 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenL.nation (Post 715479)
I was officiating a youth game and whistled a step in by Team B, I awarded the shooter another free throw. After the game I was informed by the awaiting officials of the next game, that there wasn't a lane violation due to the fact that the ball never touched the rim. I looked throughout the rules and could not find a ruling that pertains to this.

Double violation. See 9-1 Penalty 3 and 4 (4 refers you back to 3)

Freddy Thu Jan 13, 2011 04:11pm

Linking Things

See 9-1 PENALTIES 2.b.
The lane violation by the free thrower's opponent is a delayed violation withheld until the free throw ends.
4-20-3 stipulates when the free throw ends.
Seems that another free throw is merited.
9-1 PENALTIES 4c. might give the easy way out, if you think the violation by the free thrower's opponent constituted disconcertion.

Then again, I might be incorrect. Cf. further responses for confirmation one way or the other.

Freddy Thu Jan 13, 2011 04:13pm

To Quick to the Draw

It already looks like Bob's reply is better than mine.

tjones1 Thu Jan 13, 2011 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 715485)
It already looks like Bob's reply is better than mine.

I agree. ;)

TimTaylor Thu Jan 13, 2011 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 715480)
Double violation. See 9-1 Penalty 3 and 4 (4 refers you back to 3)

Agree - penalty 4b specifically ......which as you said refers you back to 3.

Zoochy Thu Jan 13, 2011 05:40pm

If Team B stepped into the lane before A1 released the ball, then you may say that Team B disconcerted the shooter. Thus only penalize the lane violation.
If A1 releases the ball, then Team B commits a lane violation. Double violation. AP throw-in

TimTaylor Thu Jan 13, 2011 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 715538)
If Team B stepped into the lane before A1 released the ball, then you may say that Team B disconcerted the shooter. Thus only penalize the lane violation.
If A1 releases the ball, then Team B commits a lane violation. Double violation. AP throw-in

Maybe if it was egregious enough and clearly affected the shooter, but the OP didn't say anything about that.....

Adam Thu Jan 13, 2011 06:38pm

I think in most cases, B1 would have to do more than just step into the lane early to disconcert the shooter.

BktBallRef Thu Jan 13, 2011 06:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimTaylor (Post 715544)
Maybe if it was egregious enough and clearly affected the shooter, but the OP didn't say anything about that.....

He also didn't know what the rule was so it's very possible he could have omitted a very important fact. Certainly nothing wrong with addressing the possibility since that would greatly change the ruling.