The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Holding the second horn (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60433-holding-second-horn.html)

Indianaref Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:59am

Holding the second horn

Was the R the other night and when talking with the timer before the game he asked me if I wanted him to hold the second warning horn on replacing a disqualified player. He told me that he would sound the first horn then nod at me or my partners when the 20 seconds had elapsed. He would sound the horn only if I nodded or pointed back to him. Thoughts?

26 Year Gap Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 714060)
Was the R the other night and when talking with the timer before the game he asked me if I wanted him to hold the second warning horn on replacing a disqualified player. He told me that he would sound the first horn then nod at me or my partners when the 20 seconds had elapsed. He would sound the horn only if I nodded or pointed back to him. Thoughts?

What if you assessed a T on the nod and then the coach said the second horn had not sounded?

tref Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:01pm

I'll take all my horns please. Unless of course, both teams come out of the t/o early or the dq'd player is replaced immediately.

Terrapins Fan Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:07pm

Why would you hold the 2nd horn?

Encourage the coach to get your sub. The goal is not to "T" him up, get the player.

BTW, No "T's" for me yet....it's a record!

Have I gotten soft?

26 Year Gap Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 714064)
Why would you hold the 2nd horn?

Encourage the coach to get your sub. The goal is not to "T" him up, get the player.

BTW, No "T's" for me yet....it's a record!

Have I gotten soft?

You've gotten overconfident.

GoodwillRef Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:09pm

Not a good idea IMO!

bob jenkins Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 714061)
What if you assessed a T on the nod and then the coach said the second horn had not sounded?

Is the horn required to assess the T?

The timer's plan *can* be used to avoid the overly-officious ruling of assessing the T if the sub is on his/her way to the table and just hasn't made it quite all the way to the X before the 20-seconds elapses. The opposing coach could have a claim that the T should be issued.

26 Year Gap Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 714075)

The timer's plan *can* be used to avoid the overly-officious ruling of assessing the T if the sub is on his/her way to the table and just hasn't made it quite all the way to the X before the 20-seconds elapses. The opposing coach could have a claim that the T should be issued.

If the player is on the way to the table as the second horn is sounding, the official can always beckon. If the player has not been selected by the coach, and the nod has been given but not seen by the coach, it is opening a can of worms. I have never come close to the 20 seconds. The coach usually knows when it is 5 fouls and usually has more than 20 seconds. I have only seen 1 T issued for not having a sub ready. And this coach was a frequent tea drinker.

JRutledge Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:39pm

Quote:

That sounds like the reasoning of this official.

Peace

Rich Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:44pm

Quote:

These are my instructions to the timer when I'm the R on a game. I want to control that second horn because that horn will likely result in a T if there isn't a sub at least close to the table. There are times when we do *not* want that, no matter what the rules say. For example: Team's getting waxed by 30 with 30 seconds left in the game and the weary coach is a bit slow getting the sub to me. I'm more than happy to step in and ask for the sub shortly after the warning horn, but I'm not worried if he takes a few extra seconds and no sane coach on the other bench would be either.

Of course, I'm lucky (no matter how often I reiterate this) to get the first horn at 5 seconds.

Indianaref Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 714061)

Sorry if I didn't make it clear. He would only sound the 2nd horn on my or my P's signal. Then we take care of bizness.

just another ref Mon Jan 10, 2011 01:58pm

Am I the only one who is overwhelmed at the thought of having a timer who knew without being told that there is a certain procedure involved in replacing a disqualified player?

26 Year Gap Mon Jan 10, 2011 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 714148)
Am I the only one who is overwhelmed at the thought of having a timer who knew without being told that there is a certain procedure involved in replacing a disqualified player?

maybe someone else at the table is whispering into the timer's ear

Back In The Saddle Mon Jan 10, 2011 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 714157)
maybe someone else at the table is whispering into the timer's ear

Oh wonderful :o Just what I need, yet another distraction at the table. There is no need to whisper, just put it in a text.

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 10, 2011 04:04pm

I think you should tell game management you need a hornier timer. :p