The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Home V playing against neighboring C-Squad

Went & watched a game last night where the Home GV was playing against a neighboring school's C-Squad.

Overall the game was closely contested with the score at the final being H: 40- V: 35.

Some questions from the observations:

What would you do if the timer failed to sound the warning horn 1 minute before game/end of halftime?

Would you call a jump ball whenever the defender ties up the ball yet lets go before the whistle?

What would you do if the timer started marking the fouls on the board before reporting them to the table?
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 05:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
1. What would you do if the timer failed to sound the warning horn 1 minute before game/end of halftime?

2. Would you call a jump ball whenever the defender ties up the ball yet lets go before the whistle?

3. What would you do if the timer started marking the fouls on the board before reporting them to the table?
1. Nothing.
2. No.
3. Nothing.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

What is a C-squad?
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 06:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
What is a C-squad?
Typically, it's the freshman games. Around here, the two terms are interchangeable.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What would you do if the timer failed to sound the warning horn 1 minute before game/end of halftime?

Would you call a jump ball whenever the defender ties up the ball yet lets go before the whistle?

What would you do if the timer started marking the fouls on the board before reporting them to the table?
Nothing. Where's the requirement for that?

If I judged it to be held, then it's held, even if the defender lets go before I blow the whistle.

Nothing.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 06:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
The timer reports fouls to the table?
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Girls Varsity plays against a freshman squad?
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 07:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Not unusual when the Freshman squad is from a large school and the GV is a small school.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2011, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

The varsity squad is from a school that cannot participate in postseason in the WIAA 1B Classification. The C-Squad was from a 1A Classification school. Basically it was an additional game for the C-Squad to meet their season limit.

The 2 teams will play again at the 1A School on the 20th, as several of our normal games against 1A Schools have no C-Squads. This way they can get in some games instead of sitting.

Quote:
Old Sat Jan 08, 2011, 04:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Went & watched a game last night where the Home GV was playing against a neighboring school's C-Squad.

Overall the game was closely contested with the score at the final being H: 40- V: 35.

Some questions from the observations:

Warning horns are at 3:00 and :15 seconds.

I wouldn't call it unless it was on a try and the defender tied up the shooter

I wouldn't say a thing as long as the fouls are correct. How long do you wait before you put points up on the board even though they could still be canceled by BI or a PC foul? My guess is as soon as the ball is in the bucket you're pressing some buttons.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2011, 04:17am
Official Forum Member

chseagle I have noticed that a lot of your questions are of a rather, how do i say it, nit picky, pointless nature. some of these decisions seem like they are very simple and you should be able to make without always asking. I could be out of line here but just something i noticed.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2011, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Concerning counting pts. before whistle/foul, I look for the "count the basket" signal before posting on the board, as I want to make sure the points do count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Warning horns are at 3:00 and :15 seconds.

I wouldn't call it unless it was on a try and the defender tied up the shooter

I wouldn't say a thing as long as the fouls are correct. How long do you wait before you put points up on the board even though they could still be canceled by BI or a PC foul? My guess is as soon as the ball is in the bucket you're pressing some buttons.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2011, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Concerning counting pts. before whistle/foul, I look for the "count the basket" signal before posting on the board, as I want to make sure the points do count.

no comment about the warning horn times? I thought that would be right up your alley!
Old Sat Jan 08, 2011, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
chseagle I have noticed that a lot of your questions are of a rather, how do i say it, nit picky, pointless nature. some of these decisions seem like they are very simple and you should be able to make without always asking. I could be out of line here but just something i noticed.

+1

whatever the hell you wanna call it- well said
Old Sat Jan 08, 2011, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

The only time I've heard of sounding the horn :15 secs. before the end is on TOs & replacements, not for pregame or halftime.

That would be a long period on the bench for the teams if the horn sounded 3 minutes before the game/halftime ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
no comment about the warning horn times? I thought that would be right up your alley!