The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 05:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Frank-N-Furter, Dr. Frank-N-Furter ...

F-r-a-n-k-n-f-u-r-t-e-r
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 06, 2011 at 05:28pm.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 06:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Midway through the first quarter, if not sooner, you could have said something like, "Coach, if you have a specific question, I'll be happy to answer it when I have time. But I can't allow you to continue the running commentary." Say it quietly, and say it early before tempers get inflamed.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie_g2001 View Post
We worked the game and one of the coaches team was losing and the coach complained, a lot through out the game. In the 3rd period,...
Probably let it go too far. Hard to turn it around if you let it go so long.

Quote:
Told the book to put an Official Warning in the book and told my partner, This coach has been warned.
For what? I'd make sure my partner(s) knew the coach was warned so they could take appropriate action if needed, but there is support to write a warning for unsportsmanlike conduct in the book.

Quote:
We finished the game and to my bad luck, my locker room was locked and it was right by the team that just lost. This Coach saw me in the hall way and looked at me talking to somene else and said, "I WANT HIS NAME". Out of character, I said my name is....And Spelled it for him.
I'd file a report on game management not being available to let you into your room. We should not have to run around the gym in our uniform after a game to find them. Things like this happen then.

Quote:
When I went out to leave, I saw the coach. I guess he had calmed down and I did. I went over to him and said,...
Mistake on your part. No reason to initiate contact. A lot of things could happen, very few of which are positive. What if it went south from there? It looks like you baited him. Get in, get done, get out. Of course, this is just my opinion...
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Irrational Coach...Complains about everyTHING

The more I think about this thread, the more I think it mirrors my life!
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 10:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
The more I think about this thread, the more I think it mirrors my life!
The difference is you chose to be with her "til death doeth thou parteth."
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

I am of the opinion that you dont wait until the thir quarter.

If they are whining on every call, I normally tell a coach they have to pick and choose their battles. They usually get it. If they dont then tell them youve heard enough.

it is interesting that when you look at the psychology of the game, when coaches actaully focus on their team and coaching that their teams do better. I believe that when they whine about every call their kids are listening to and they start to think they are being screwed and dont focus on the plays and execution of the plays.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
freddie_g... you promote what you permit. if you allow specific behaviors to continue, then you are, in essence, saying that those behvaviors are acceptable....
I have to agree with this. Back in my younger days I would allow coaches to do things like this because I didn't want to interrupt the game, draw attentions to myself, yada, yada, yada. All it got me was more a$$ chewin's. I don't put up with it anymore, and the coaches whose games I work know this from the get-go. If they have a question, politely and professionally ask. If there is a complaint, share it, politely and professionally. If a coach raises their voice to yell at me or my co-officials, that is IMMEDIATELY addressed. It may different for others, but I don't have much "stuff" from coaches anymore. And, for what it's worth, I give fewer technical fouls now than at any point in my career. Just sayin' . . .
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Smile Irrational Coach.....

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice. Honestly, It was totally out of my character to respond like I did, but It is what it is. I will learn from it and ensure to address the coach earlier if I feel he is starting to effect my concentration. Of course,,,,,It is so easy to say "I'd do this or I'd do that.....until your in the situation. I will sure attempt to keep my cool in the future should a situaion arise......Thanks to all that have responded. I hope you all get to work as the Referee in the NCAA Championship Game.....lol
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 11:50am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
I'd like to thank everyone for their advice. Honestly, It was totally out of my character to respond like I did, but It is what it is. I will learn from it and ensure to address the coach earlier if I feel he is starting to effect my concentration. Of course,,,,,It is so easy to say "I'd do this or I'd do that.....until your in the situation. I will sure attempt to keep my cool in the future should a situaion arise......Thanks to all that have responded. I hope you all get to work as the Referee in the NCAA Championship Game.....lol
I doubt very many of us want to get scrutinized on National TV.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 06:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I hate just being on the local cable access channel.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 06:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Game O' The Month ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Our local board has come up with a new idea. A "Game of the Month" where all those officials not working that night would be invited to sit in the bleachers with our interpreter crew and observe the game, with the interpreters providing rule, and mechanics, "play by play" critique.

This was presented to us at our local meeting on Sunday. Those sitting around me, all top notch officials, asked about the proposed date, so that they could block it out on Arbiter.

Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Midway through the first quarter, if not sooner, you could have said something like, "Coach, if you have a specific question, I'll be happy to answer it when I have time. But I can't allow you to continue the running commentary." Say it quietly, and say it early before tempers get inflamed.
I like that...EXCEPT, shorten it a little:

"Specific Question...Yes...Running Commentary...No!"

...so you're not "that guy".
Richland, WA
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 07:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
I like that...EXCEPT, shorten it a little:

"Specific Question...Yes...Running Commentary...No!"

...so you're not "that guy".
Black line, all the way around!
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 07:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Didn't Check To See If He Was Wearing A Belt ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Black line, all the way around!
Actually had a partner say that this past weekend. Well, he actually said, "yellow line", but that was close enough. Seriously. It really happened.

Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 09:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I would have

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Actually had a partner say that this past weekend. Well, he actually said, "yellow line", but that was close enough. Seriously. It really happened.
Did you laugh at him?