The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kgeorge0263
Shot made at wrong basket

Bizzare play that you may only get once in your life. Had a JUCO women's game.. 2nd half a defensive home team player gets a rebound in a close game and take the ball up and banks in a layup. I'm the new lead/old trail. Mass confusion...visiting team grabs ball out of bounds, I yell across the court, "white ball!!!", the table hits the horn all confused and I tell them 2 points for the visitors. Finally we blow the play dead, indicate to the scorebook who the points go to and make sure scoreboard is correct. During this time, I did not notice that the home team subbed out the player who made the mistake. After the ball came into play I noticed this and at the next timeout I spoke to my fellow officials that I don't believe you can substitute during this situation. Anyone have a rule reference or case play of this happening?
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Play is dead. You stopped the clock to make sure everything is OK. Subs are allowed anytime there is stoppage.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

why cant you substitue during this? the play has been blown dead. when can a team substitue?
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

I believe JUCO plays under NCAA rules...I believe that only restriction about subs coming in is during the final minute of the game.

Rule 3, Section 4

Art. 6. Substitutions shall not be permitted when the game clock has been stopped after successful field goals in the last 59.9 seconds of the second half or any extra period and before the clock has been properly started except for the following:

a. Those substitutions permitted by rule including, but not limited to, injury, blood, violation, foul, disqualification, timeout, or for a lost, displaced or irritated contact lens or displaced eyeglasses.

b. There shall be no substitutions during the dead ball period when the clock is stopped for the made basket to correct a timing mistake or for an inadvertent whistle. After the clock has been properly started following a made basket, then all substitution rules apply.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Wed Jan 05, 2011 at 08:35am.