The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What does one do? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60334-what-does-one-do.html)

cmhjordan23 Mon Jan 03, 2011 02:28am

What does one do?

My wife is pregnant and she happens to go into labor while I'm doing a game. I would probably have cell phone at table so she can text or call. Does the school just proceed with 1 official if the game already started or try and find somone real quick. I can tell you I am not missing the birth of my first child. What would one do in my situation. I don't do varsity. Only up to JV.

APG Mon Jan 03, 2011 02:33am

That's really going to be up to your state and local rules. Some places continue with one official, while other places don't allow a game to continue with only one official. Only those in your area can answer.

Also, if I was in that situation, I would ask my assignor if there was any way possible to give back the game...I'm sure he'd be more than willing. Don't want to potentially hang a partner out to dry by myself if I don't have to.

constable Mon Jan 03, 2011 06:54am

I'd be very apprehensive about taking games within 3 weeks of a due date.

Raymond Mon Jan 03, 2011 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 711614)
My wife is pregnant and she happens to go into labor while I'm doing a game. I would probably have cell phone at table so she can text or call. Does the school just proceed with 1 official if the game already started or try and find somone real quick. I can tell you I am not missing the birth of my first child. What would one do in my situation. I don't do varsity. Only up to JV.

Don't work any games during the due date timeframe. It's not fair to the schools, players, and your partners to be distracted like that during your game(s).

Indianaref Mon Jan 03, 2011 08:41am

Do not take any games around your wife's due date. You are not Phil Mickelson at the US open.

Welpe Mon Jan 03, 2011 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 711635)
Don't work any games during the due date timeframe. It's not fair to the schools, players, and your partners to be distracted like that during your game(s).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 711636)
Do not take any games around your wife's due date. You are not Phil Mickelson at the US open.

I completely agree. My wife is also pregnant with our first and her due date is around the end of the month. I kept several weeks surrounding the date free. I know that it stinks to have a shortened season but in the end, it is just basketball. It will always be here.

Good luck to you!

Adam Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:14am

Other options aside from not taking games.
1. Have her induced.
2. Risk having to turn back a game at the last minute.

As for whether she goes into labor during your game; the chances of you not being able to finish the game and get to the hospital in time are slim. The real issue is if she goes into labor during the day, perhaps 6 hours before your game.

I missed my son's birth since I was deployed, and I catch a bit of good natured grief for it still (5 years later). I can't imagine the grief I'd have caught if it had been for a basketball game. Fortunately, my daughter was born in April, no conflicts there unless I ever get selected to work a Final Four game.

BillyMac Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:19am

Just Do The Math ...

Wives of real basketball officials should not be delivering babies during the months of December, January, February, and March. No "fooling around" in March, April, May, or June. Lots of cold showers. It's just that simple.

mbyron Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 711649)
Other options aside from not taking games.
1. Have her induced.
2. Risk having to turn back a game at the last minute.

3. Plan ahead next time for a July birth. :D

I just mention that because that's what we did for 2010. ;

Adam Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 711673)

We were able to "plan" the first one for a spring birth. With the 2nd one, we eventually gave up trying to time it and ended up with an August birth.

Welpe Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 711673)

Hmmm around here that may not be so good...very pregnant wife in May, June and July....some of the hottest months here. Yeah that could get pretty unhappy around the ol' household.

BktBallRef Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 711614)

Follow the advice listed above or consider this.

If it's her first childbirth, chances are you will have plenty of time. You're not going to miss anything. It will probably be many, many hours before she's even close to delivery. Even for our third, I finished watching the Bulls beat the Pistons 110-93 on 11/12/1991. Jordan only had 20 by 5 Bulls were in double figures. :)

Or, follow the advice above and do not take the games. It's not fair to the schools, kids, coaches, fans, and especially your partner.

Indianaref Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 711681)
It's not far to the schools, kids, coaches, fans, and especially your partner.

It's not fair either. :)

mbyron Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 711680)
Hmmm around here that may not be so good...very pregnant wife in May, June and July....some of the hottest months here. Yeah that could get pretty unhappy around the ol' household.

That's why they invented baseball. Duh. :p

just another ref Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:46am

Control the official population. Have your partner spayed or neutered. ***

***paraphrased