The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Inadvertent Whistle (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60293-inadvertent-whistle.html)

Johnny Ringo Wed Dec 29, 2010 04:58pm

Inadvertent Whistle

Ball is live ... Official blows whistle to grant a timeout to a team that does not have possession. Obviously, it's an inadvertent whistle, but do you go ahead and grant the timeout?

Adam Wed Dec 29, 2010 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 710731)
Ball is live ... Official blows whistle to grant a timeout to a team that does not have possession. Obviously, it's an inadvertent whistle, but do you go ahead and grant the timeout?

Yep. 5.8.3E

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 29, 2010 05:03pm

Here's a follow up for you rookies. Team A is in possession and requests a TO. You grant it but then the scorer tells you (correctly) that team A did not have any timeouts left. You call the technical. Question: does team A still get the timeout?

KJUmp Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 710733)
Here's a follow up for you rookies. Team A is in possession and requests a TO. You grant it but then the scorer tells you (correctly) that team A did not have any timeouts left. You call the technical. Question: does team A still get the timeout?

Yes.

RobbyinTN Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:51pm

Although not a rookie but....

Yes - a time out can be requested and granted even if the team is out of TO's - at the expense of a T Foul.

Had this happen in a game last week. It was a 2 man crew and I was the U. My R didn't want to give them the TO - said they weren't authorized since they were out. Fortunately I stepped in and granted the TO and gave them a T.

He questioned me again after the game as to why I over ruled him. I took out my rule book (which I always carry to the games) and I showed him in the rule book why I did. His response? "Oh I guess i didn't know that". No joke Sherlock :rolleyes:

Raymond Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 710731)

I did it tonight. But it was under NCAA-M rules so I immediately proclaimed "inadvertant whislte" and we put the ball in play with appropriate throw-in.

In NFHS I would have granted the T-O.

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 710804)
No joke Sherlock :rolleyes:

Hey - my dog likes jokes!

Dog profile for Sherlock, a male Lhasa Apso

Adam Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 710816)
I did it tonight. But it was under NCAA-M rules so I immediately proclaimed "inadvertant whislte" and we put the ball in play with appropriate throw-in.

In NFHS I would have granted the T-O.

Is that the proper ruling in NCAA-M?

Raymond Thu Dec 30, 2010 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 710883)
Is that the proper ruling in NCAA-M?

As far as I know. :D My crew chief had no problem with it. But I will look it up and get the proper citation for the forum.

Hold on. :)

A.R. 61. Team A scores with 59.9 seconds left to play in the second half.
(2) The official inadvertently blows his whistle to recognize a timeout request by Team A when the ball is at Team B’s disposal
for a throw-in; or
RULING: (2), The inadvertent whistle shall be ignored. Team A’s request for a timeout shall be recognized and granted since the request occurred during the dead ball created by the inadvertent whistle. Substitutions are permitted during this timeout period. However, when a timeout is not requested, there shall be no substitution during the dead ball period created by the inadvertent whistle.

So in the same ruling the inadvertent whistle is supposed to be ignored and yet we are told to recognize the time-out b/c it was requested during the dead ball created the the inadvertent whistle. :confused: But the timeout was not requested during the dead ball created by the inadvertent whistle.

Is the NFHS ruling written the same way? I've always thought the NCAA and NFHS were written differently for this situation. Too lazy to find my FED books right at this moment.

Adam Thu Dec 30, 2010 09:47pm

I've done a grand total of 1 NCAA game, but my understanding is the IW rule was different for subs but the same for TOs.