The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Traveling

I have been noticing at all levels of play the escalation of the 3 step layup. For some reason there are a lot of players that are learning that on a right handed layup, they pick the ball up while on the left foot then step on the right then left and jump.

I am going to blame this on the NBA but I also think it has to do with the prevalence of using the jump stop. Right handed players typically jump off the left foot to use the jump stop which is legal. Because they are learning to pick up their dribble on the left foot on the jump stop, they continue to do that with the traditional lay up. That is my theory anyway...

The classic NBA example of this that I see is Rondo. It is probably legal in the NBA but he often picks up his dribble on his left foot then changes direction on the right foot and then steps with his left and lays the ball in. Any time you see a change of direction with the right foot and then step on the left and then jump then you have a 3 step layup.

The key is being able to see where the player picked up their dribble. On a right handed layup, did the player pick up their dribble on the right foot or the left foot? Right foot ok, left foot is a travel.

I know that the travel definition is based on pivot foot not on steps but 3 steps still means the player must have travelled.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

I don't think it has anything to do with jump stops.

Kids develop a lot of bad habits during open gym, pick up ball, whatever.

If we don't call it, they continue to do it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 10:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
The classic NBA example of this that I see is Rondo. It is probably legal in the NBA but he often picks up his dribble on his left foot then changes direction on the right foot and then steps with his left and lays the ball in. Any time you see a change of direction with the right foot and then step on the left and then jump then you have a 3 step layup.The key is being able to see where the player picked up their dribble. On a right handed layup, did the player pick up their dribble on the right foot or the left foot? Right foot ok, left foot is a travel.
I disagree.

First of all, it's two steps, unless you're counting that last jump as a step. You're right with your description of the pivot. Most of the time, the player picks up his dribble in the air, just after taking off with his left foot.

And I believe it is legal in the NBA for it to happen as you describe Rondo doing it.

However, your statement in red above is just not true.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

This is a cop out to blame the NBA.

First of all, the play you describe is absolutely legal in the NBA. NBA rules shouldn't effect what you're calling at the high school level. Players at the high school level shouldn't be trying to emulate what they see at the professional level because the rules are different.

If you see the travel, call it. The players will adjust.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 04:20pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Players at the high school level shouldn't be trying to emulate what they see at the professional level because the rules are different.
That is true, of course, but they still do.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 07:21pm
We don't rent pigs

Blame the college game if you want. Plenty of theirs on tv go uncalled. And somebody correct me if this is not right, but I think the NCAA travel rule is the same as NFHS.

Lonesome Dove