The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Need help on administrative Technical (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60200-need-help-administrative-technical.html)

bbref17 Sun Dec 19, 2010 09:55pm

Need help on administrative Technical

After the 10 minute mark before start of game team enters starting line-up. A technical is given. Later in the game another admin. error is discover against the same team. The coach left a player out of the book. He wants to put her in. Is this another admin technical or does it fall under only 1 admin technical?

Thanks for help in advance!

RobbyinTN Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:16pm

Adding a player AFTER the 10 minute time limit is a technical foul. It sounds like the first T was given because the lineup was not in place on time - different situation than adding a player later.

You would have a T for the line up infraction and a second T later for adding a player.

Robby

Adam Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:22pm

Sorry, Robby. Both fouls fall under 10-1-1. One T total per game.

Welpe Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 708673)
Sorry, Robby. Both fouls fall under 10-1-1. One T total per game.

Doesn't the first fall under 10-1-1 while the second falls under 10-1-2?

RobbyinTN Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:37pm

OK I went back and read that several times. When I read this I see 10-1-1 being a separate penalty than all the ones listed in 10-1-2. The way I read it you would only give one T for (1) not providing players by 10 minute mark or (2) not providing line up by 10 minute mark but not 2 Ts if both occur. I see 10-1-2 as listing additional players after the 10 minute limit. It says to penalize at the time the infraction occurs.

It says only one penalty for infractions in article 1 and only one T for infractions listed in article 2.

Am I reading this wrong?

bbref17 Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 708677)
OK I went back and read that several times. When I read this I see 10-1-1 being a separate penalty than all the ones listed in 10-1-2. The way I read it you would only give one T for (1) not providing players by 10 minute mark or (2) providing line up by 10 minute mark but not 2 Ts if both occur. I see 10-1-2 as listing additional players after the 10 minute limit. It says to penalize at the time the infraction occurs.

Am I reading this wrong?

Hey guys, this is the same discussion 3 of us had Friday night, I have read those 2 rules at least 10 times and still is not clear to me.

Adam Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:42pm

robby and welpe are right. 10-1-1 is for failing to supply the information.
10-1-2 is for changing it after it's been supplied.

One each.

jevaque Mon Dec 20, 2010 03:56am

In Ncaa snaqwells you would be right. Only one admin tech for entire game.

BillyMac Mon Dec 20, 2010 07:16am

Can Be Confusing ...

Some administrative infraction technical foul situations can occur before the jump ball is even tossed. If a team fails to supply the official scorer with its roster, and/or designate its five starting players at least ten minutes before the scheduled starting time, then a team technical foul is charged. This team technical foul is charged when it occurs, after the ten minute time limit. A maximum of one technical foul is charged for both requirements (roster and/or starters).

If a team changes a designated starter (with exceptions) after the ten minute time limit, then a team technical foul is charged. If a player starts, and that player was not designated to be a starter, the infraction has to be discovered, and penalized, before the ball becomes live to start the game. Once the ball becomes live, it is too late to penalize this specific infraction, and no penalty can be assessed. As a reminder, the ball becomes live when: on a jump ball, the tossed ball leaves the referee’s hand; on a throw-in, it is at the disposal of the thrower; and on a free throw, it is at the disposal of the free thrower.

Many administrative infractions can involve the scorebook and rosters. If a team adds a name to the team roster after the ten minute time limit, then a team technical foul is charged. When such a player legally enters the court, the player’s name and uniform number must be entered into the official scorebook. In order to penalize this infraction, the offending team member must be one of the five players currently in the game. In addition, if a team requires the official scorer to change a team member or player’s uniform number in the official scorebook (with exception), after the ten minute time limit, then a team technical foul is charged. If there is no request for change, or if a team member does not become a player, thus avoiding the change, there is no penalty.

Similarly, if a team requires a player to change to a number in the official scorebook after the ten minute time limit, then a team technical foul is charged. A maximum of one team technical foul is charged regardless of the number of players, and substitutes, not wearing the number indicated in the official scorebook. Each player must wear the number indicated in the official scorebook, or change the official scorebook number to that which the player is wearing. Any additional substitutes who become players and require the changing of the number indicated for them in the official scorebook will not result in a penalty, as the one maximum technical has already been charged to the team for this administrative infraction. If there is no request for change, or if the team member does not become a player, thus avoiding the change, there is no penalty.

Three scorebook situations: adding a name to the team roster, changing a name or a number in the official scorebook, and/or having a player change a uniform number, are penalized with a team technical foul when they occur, after the ten minute time limit. These infractions occur when the scorer is advised to add to or change the official scorebook. The foul must be charged when it occurs and enforced when the ball next becomes live. Once the ball becomes live, after such changes have been made to the scorebook, it is too late to penalize. Remember, the ball becomes live when: on a jump ball, the tossed ball leaves the referee’s hand; on a throw-in, it is at the disposal of the thrower; and on a free throw, it is at the disposal of the free thrower.

After the ten minute time limit a team is charged with a maximum of one technical foul regardless of how many infractions of the following are committed: changing a designated starter, adding a name to the team member list, requiring the scorer to change a team member’s or player’s number in the scorebook, requiring a player to change to the number in the scorebook, and/or having identical numbers on team members and/or players. Each player must wear the number indicated in the scorebook, or change the official scorebook number to that the player is wearing. Any additional substitutes who become players and require the changing of the number indicated for them in the official scorebook will not result in a penalty, as the one maximum technical has already been charged to the team for that team’s administrative infraction

dsqrddgd909 Mon Dec 20, 2010 08:08am

Billy,

Thanks. Where is that from?

bob jenkins Mon Dec 20, 2010 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jevaque (Post 708702)
In Ncaa snaqwells you would be right. Only one admin tech for entire game.

Not correct. You can have two admin Ts in NCAA. See for example AR 43.

In the OP, it would be two admin Ts in NCAA as well.

BillyMac Mon Dec 20, 2010 07:17pm

Administrative Infraction Technical Foul Penalties ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 708719)
Billy, Where is that from?

An article that I'm still trying to write for our local board's newsletter. I've been workng on this for over a year. I'm not a very good writer. Mark Twain, I'm not.

I believe that this was my most recent post of a draft:
http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...tml#post685000

bainsey Mon Dec 20, 2010 07:35pm

For clarity, is there no penalty if the error turned out to be the scorekeeper's, and not the coach's? Should we request evidence in a roster, or give the benefit of the doubt?

BillyMac Mon Dec 20, 2010 08:05pm

Where Did You Get These Names And Numbers ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 708859)
For clarity, is there no penalty if the error turned out to be the scorekeeper's, and not the coach's? Should we request evidence in a roster, or give the benefit of the doubt?

I would want to see what the official scorekeeper copied the incorrect roster from. Probably not in the manual. Just common sense, and fair play.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 20, 2010 08:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 708859)
For clarity, is there no penalty if the error turned out to be the scorekeeper's, and not the coach's?

Hint: What does the rule say?