The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Is it a violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60179-violation.html)

Clark Kent Sat Dec 18, 2010 05:17am

Is it a violation?

A1 is handed the ball on an inbounds play and is a good 3 feet away from the inbounds line (a) he/she drops the ball and it bounces up to him/her and they inbound it. (b) dribbles the ball multiple times but then throws it in?

Are either of these situations violations or am I going to be searching for a rule that doesn't exist?

grunewar Sat Dec 18, 2010 06:19am

Ask yourself this, why do you believe these are violations......?

BillyMac Sat Dec 18, 2010 08:47am

This Looks Like Another Job For The Mythbusters ...

A player inbounding the ball may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin.

bigdog5142 Sat Dec 18, 2010 08:54am

No violation. A player may bounce the ball as much as they want OOB before throwing the ball in as long as they remain in the 3 foot area.

BillyMac Sat Dec 18, 2010 09:05am

Five Seconds ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog5142 (Post 708319)
No violation. A player may bounce the ball as much as they want OOB before throwing the ball in as long as they remain in the 3 foot area.

And release the throwin pass in five seconds.

Jurassic Referee Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 708304)
A1 is handed the ball on an inbounds play and is a good 3 feet away from the inbounds line (a) he/she drops the ball and it bounces up to him/her and they inbound it. (b) dribbles the ball multiple times but then throws it in?

Are either of these situations violations or am I going to be searching for a rule that doesn't exist?

Search for a rule that does exist. Case book play 9.2.2SitD

Rob1968 Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:44am

4-12-1 A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds.
4-12-6 . . . Neither team control nor player control exists during a . . . throw-in . . .

Thus, neither the travel nor dribble rule applies to the thrower, during a throw-in. He/she may touch the ball to the floor in the 3-feet wide area designated as the throw-in spot without penalty. He/she may move his/her feet within that area without penalty. One foot must be on or over that area at the time of releases of the ball, on a pass directly to the playing area. The ball may not touch the floor or structure outside of that area on its path during the throw-in pass.
The 5-second time limit to release the ball on a pass applies.

BktBallRef Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 708304)

No rule against it, Clark. Prefectly legal.

Clark Kent Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:50pm

Thanks guys. Just wanted to double check. I saw it in a game last night and the guy called a violation and signaled it with a "double dribble" signal. I was 100% sure that wasn't the signal and 95% sure it wasn't a violation, and when I looked for a rule against it I couldn't find one, so I thought I'd ask the experts ;) I appreciate all insights fellas.

Adam Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 708350)
Thanks guys. Just wanted to double check. I saw it in a game last night and the guy called a violation and signaled it with a "double dribble" signal. I was 100% sure that wasn't the signal and 95% sure it wasn't a violation, and when I looked for a rule against it I couldn't find one, so I thought I'd ask the experts ;) I appreciate all insights fellas.

What level?

Clark Kent Sat Dec 18, 2010 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 708351)
What level?

J.V. game.

Jurassic Referee Sat Dec 18, 2010 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 708364)
J.V. game.

Competitive JV?

Bad Woddy......

Clark Kent Sat Dec 18, 2010 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 708388)
Competitive JV?

Yes competitive. Pretty good little game.

BillyMac Sat Dec 18, 2010 03:49pm

And Don't Make Direct Eye Contact ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 708388)
Competitive JV?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 708397)
Yes competitive. Pretty good little game.

Clark Kent: Please don't encourage him. Just back away slowly and maybe he'll ignore you.

http://images9.cpcache.com/product/6...olor-White.jpg