The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Face Mask (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60114-face-mask.html)

slow whistle Mon Dec 13, 2010 09:14am

Face Mask

Looking for opinions on the editorial change re: face masks (3-5-2). It states that face masks must be worn "molded to the face". Sat night BV we had a player who had a face mask that was molded, ie "shaped" to his face, however, there was a pad of approximately 1/2 in that went all around the mask between it and his face so it sort of sat off the face a bit. There were no protrusions/edges to the mask and we didn't deem it dangerous so we let him play with it. Has anyone seen a picture of an illegal mask? Thanks...

chartrusepengui Mon Dec 13, 2010 09:20am

Wow - you're really asking for it now!!!

slow whistle Mon Dec 13, 2010 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui (Post 707185)
Wow - you're really asking for it now!!!

Uh oh did I just walk into something?

Adam Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:32am

15 yards if you deem it unsportsmanlike. If not, no penalty; they've eliminated the 5 yard version.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow whistle (Post 707184)
Looking for opinions on the editorial change re: face masks (3-5-2). It states that face masks must be worn "molded to the face". Sat night BV we had a player who had a face mask that was molded, ie "shaped" to his face, however, there was a pad of approximately 1/2 in that went all around the mask between it and his face so it sort of sat off the face a bit. There were no protrusions/edges to the mask and we didn't deem it dangerous so we let him play with it. Has anyone seen a picture of an illegal mask? Thanks...

The illegal mask is something that looks sort of like a football face mask.

What you describe is legal.

Welpe Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 707187)
15 yards if you deem it unsportsmanlike.

Is that your final answer? :)

Adam Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 707197)
Is that your final answer? :)

Nope, I don't deal with many facemasks, so the terminology probably needs to be translated from "Fanboy."

Welpe Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:43am

NCAA: Incidental face masks (grab and release) have been eliminated. Only facemasks that are a personal foul (grab and pull or twist) are illegal.

NFHS: The incidental face mask is still illegal in addition to the personal foul variety.

slow whistle Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 707198)
Nope, I don't deal with many facemasks, so the terminology probably needs to be translated from "Fanboy."

Ok I'll bite, what am I missing here? The terminology comes right out of the NF, I'm not making it up! I didn't say he was wearing it on the baseline!

bob jenkins Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow whistle (Post 707200)
Ok I'll bite, what am I missing here? The terminology comes right out of the NF, I'm not making it up! I didn't say he was wearing it on the baseline!

You're missing that the "final answer?" question wasn't directed at you but was directed at Snaqwell's use of the word "unsportsmanlike".

Adam Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow whistle (Post 707200)

Sorry, I was responding to Welpe's response to my football reference.

You were fine, and the answer you got came from bob, so it's correct.