The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   timeout while in the air going OOBs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60101-timeout-while-air-going-oobs.html)

Splute Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:53pm

timeout while in the air going OOBs

Okay gang need to set some varsity officials straight. They bet me our game fees that a player can not call a timeout while in the air going OOBs. Would you please point me to the case play or interp so I can collect? Its been a long day and I cant seem to locate it thru the search process. Thanks...

CMHCoachNRef Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splute (Post 707000)
Okay gang need to set some varsity officials straight. They bet me our game fees that a player can not call a timeout while in the air going OOBs. Would you please point me to the case play or interp so I can collect? Its been a long day and I cant seem to locate it thru the search process. Thanks...

A player can call time out in NFHS (college, I believe, is different) in this case. A player (or coach) can call time out when a player has control (or if he/she has the ball at his/her disposition for a throw-in). There is no specific mention in the rules that would prohibit the calling of a time-out while a player is in control (and in the air), therefore, the time-out can be granted.

I will search for the case or interp, but the rule is the rule.

Splute Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 707001)
A player can call time out in NFHS (college, I believe, is different) in this case. A player (or coach) can call time out when a player has control (or if he/she has the ball at his/her disposition for a throw-in). There is no specific mention in the rules that would prohibit the calling of a time-out while a player is in control (and in the air), therefore, the time-out can be granted.

I will search for the case or interp, but the rule is the rule.

Agree it is legal in High School, but I thought I had read a specific case play or interp on it. Thanks for the help.

justacoach Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splute (Post 707002)
Agree it is legal in High School, but I thought I had read a specific case play or interp on it. Thanks for the help.

You may be somewhat influenced by this thread from 2006 when the NCAA precluded a TO being granted when the controlling player was in jeopardy of goinng OOB or into BC
http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...-goes-oob.html

The operative fed ruling is 5-8-3 which places no limiting requirement for granting a TO aside from player control.
Casebook cite here further amplifies that an airborne player with control can be granted a TO

5.8.3 SITUATION D: A1 or A2 requests a time-out: (a) while airborne A1 is
holding the ball; (b) while A1’s throw-in is in flight toward A2; or (c) when the ball is on the floor at A1’s disposal for a throw-in. RULING: The request is granted in (a) and (c), but denied in (b), as there is no player control while the ball is loose between players.
I'll defer to Nevada to provide us an oldy, moldy interp from the archives but, IIRC, this situation has never been treated with in view of the clarity of 5-8-3.
HTH

BillyMac Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:42am

The Mythbusters Have Been Very Busy This Weekend ...

A player saving the ball in the air can ask for and be granted a timeout even if that player is going out of bounds. The key is whether or not the player has control of the ball.

Adam Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:55am

The question to ask is of them; what rule prevents them from being granted the TO there?

JugglingReferee Sun Dec 12, 2010 05:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splute (Post 707000)

ANY player on the court, or the HC, may request the timeout in this case.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Dec 12, 2010 05:44pm

NFHS: Legal.

NCAA Men's/Women's and NBA/WNBA: To quote Mike Singletary, "Can't do it!" (YouTube - Mike Singletary)

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Sun Dec 12, 2010 06:31pm

I Love Brian Piccolo ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 707108)
To quote Mike Singletary, "Can't do it!" (YouTube - Mike Singletary)

YouTube - Mike Singletary vs David Letterman "Go get Robbie Watts finger"

Splute Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:42pm

Thanks guys