The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How late is too late (foul call) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60100-how-late-too-late-foul-call.html)

MelbRef Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:30pm

How late is too late (foul call)

First time this happened, so I wonder what other opinions are.

Situation: Drive to basket, foul on shooter, raise fist and realize that I didn't have the whistle in my mouth.

Rebound to other team, starting up court near half court by the time I get whistle ready to blow.

I felt it was too late and the opportunity passed. Let it go. Coach questioned no call at next dead ball.

Guidance? Comments?

grunewar Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:32pm

Just curious?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 706993)
Situation: Drive to basket, foul on shooter, raise fist and realize that I didn't have the whistle in my mouth.

Why?

JRutledge Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:38pm

I do not think you can reasonably call a foul on a drive and shot after the ball is going in the other direction. ;)

Peace

MelbRef Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 706995)
Why?

Not sure. Never happened before.

BillyMac Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:39am

Whistle While You Work ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 706993)
Drive to basket, foul on shooter, raise fist and realize that I didn't have the whistle in my mouth. Rebound to other team, starting up court near half court by the time I get whistle ready to blow.

There was a foul. You saw it. Coach saw it. Get the whistle back in your mouth as soon as possible, and sound it, as loud as you can. It can't take that long, can it? If the other coach complains, tell him that you accidentally spit out your whistle.

I once started a period as the nonadministering official and happened to be standing right in front of the coach. She politely asked me a simple question and I responded with a simple answer. Then I forgot to put the whistle back in my mouth. Seconds later the ball goes out of bounds on my endline. My partner was kind enough to sound her whistle. Thanks partner.

Scratch85 Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:13am

Whistle blunder

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 707042)
I once started a period as the nonadministering official and happened to be standing right in front of the coach. She politely asked me a simple question and I responded with a simple answer. Then I forgot to put the whistle back in my mouth.

I did this exact thing during a live ball. However after giving my simple answer the coach asked for a TO. I raised my hand, pointed to her bench and yelled "TIME OUT WHITE.! She looked at me and with a slight southern draw said: "You gotta blow your whistle." :o It took me a second but I finally blew my whistle and got her the TO.

I've made several embarrassing blunders on the court but this one ranks very high on my list. :o :o :o