The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:40am
This IS My Social Life

Real Jump Ball -- Redoux #2 This Year

Fourth "real jump ball" in four years tonight.
Even the veteran coach from the visiting team remarked "I've never seen that before."
More interesting this time, in that the shorter guard who had to jump it up against a much taller forward knew he'd never win it, so he tapped the ensuing jump ball early, on the way up. Easy call for the violation.
Nice way to start a game when nobody in the gym but our crew knew what what was going on.
I'm going for an NFHS record on these.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 07:28am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Fourth "real jump ball" in four years tonight.
Even the veteran coach from the visiting team remarked "I've never seen that before."
More interesting this time, in that the shorter guard who had to jump it up against a much taller forward knew he'd never win it, so he tapped the ensuing jump ball early, on the way up. Easy call for the violation.
Nice way to start a game when nobody in the gym but our crew knew what what was going on.
I'm going for an NFHS record on these.
A couple weeks ago we had a really quick backcourt on the initial tap. I was U2 and apparently missed it as I didn't see the girl get the ball briefly in the frontcourt before she went the wrong way, realized her error and turned around. Evaluator - be alive at the tap. Me - lesson learned, got it.

I pregamed it the next time. As the R, I put the ball up, and it was pretty obvious to me that A1 stole the tap. But as the R, I didn't have my whistle. U1 passed on it. Ball is gone quickly and in the corner already and play is starting.

I had a stern talk with my P's. Would you blow it dead 2-3 sec late and interrupt the game to get it right or let it go? I was disappointed the game started that way. Thoughts?
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 07:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Thoughts?
Pre-game...."Let's start out right. Don't let 'em steal the tap."
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 08:20am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Completely Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Pre-game...."Let's start out right. Don't let 'em steal the tap."
Sad story.

I had a good pregame with U2 and we talked about it. But U1 was late and didn't get that part of the pep talk. Then, they both passed on it. No way to start a game.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would you blow it dead 2-3 sec late and interrupt the game to get it right or let it go?
I would let it go. If you (as R and tosser) blow it dead now, you'll be asked to "overrule" your partners all night long.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 10:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Get Ready To Rumble ...

Quote:
Would you blow it dead 2-3 sec late and interrupt the game to get it right or let it go? Thoughts?
Quote:
"Let's start out right. Don't let 'em steal the tap."
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I would let it go. If you blow it dead now, you'll be asked to "overrule" your partners all night long.
Stay tuned. This is gonna be good.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 11:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Stay tuned. This is gonna be good.
Why?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough but I wasn't commenting on what I'd actually do. I was commenting on what I think should have been done in the pre-game to avoid the problem.

Of course I agree with Bob. You can't wait that long to call any violation. You missed it; learn from it and move on. What's criminal is missing it again.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just My Opinion ...

Quote:
You can't wait that long to call any violation.
So, as the tosser, I can't call any jump ball violations because it takes too long to put the whistle back in my mouth? And to bob's point, as the tosser, I can't call any jump ball violations because it will make my partner look bad? So I guess that as the tosser, I'm never calling any jump ball violations?

When I'm the nontosser, I've got a lot of things, a whole lot of things, to look for. I would appreciate any help that my partner could give me, even if it take a few seconds for him to put the whistle in his mouth. We're a team and I wouldn't think that he was throwing me under the team bus by helping me out here.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
When I'm the nontosser, I've got a lot of things, a whole lot of things, to look for.
What is so hard about the "whole lot of things a U1 or U2 has to look for? You learn the jump-ball restrictions listed under rule 6-3 and call them if they happen. Same as you do for the restrictions listed for throw-ins, free throws, etc. It ain't rocket science....just part of our regular job.

What's the old saying?

Those that can, do. Those that can't, time!
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:54pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

Those that can, do. Those that can't, time!

.....and do crowd control

.....and, when asked, point out potential administrative T's

.....and sometimes when not asked.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, as the tosser, I can't call any jump ball violations because it takes too long to put the whistle back in my mouth? And to bob's point, as the tosser, I can't call any jump ball violations because it will make my partner look bad? So I guess that as the tosser, I'm never calling any jump ball violations?

When I'm the nontosser, I've got a lot of things, a whole lot of things, to look for. I would appreciate any help that my partner could give me, even if it take a few seconds for him to put the whistle in his mouth. We're a team and I wouldn't think that he was throwing me under the team bus by helping me out here.
If your U1 your only job is to be watching the ball during the jump, for starting the clock and calling back a bad toss. From the U1 position it should be easier to determine if the ball made it to its highest point before it was tipped, though the R does have responsibility for the jumpers.

U2 gets to sit back and watch the nonjumpers
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 01:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cross The Border, Enter The 20th Century ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
U1,U2
What is this U1, and U2, that you speak of? I'm in Connecticut, the Land of Steady Habits, the Land of Two Person Games, and the land of no alcohol sold on Sundays. We still have Blue Laws.

Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 02:39pm
This IS My Social Life

Nota Bene

Quote:
. . . Of course I agree with Bob. . . .
Newbies to the discussion board: Note this important tidbit of wisdom. Sage advise!
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What is this U1, and U2, that you speak of? I'm in Connecticut, the Land of Steady Habits, the Land of Two Person Games, and the land of no alcohol sold on Sundays. We still have Blue Laws.
Sorry lol. Didnt know that many states were still in the Dark Ages.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 09:52pm
This IS My Social Life

White, Beige, Black . . .

Quote:
I'm in Connecticut . . . We still have Blue Laws.
Do all your schools there have blue as a school color or something?