The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Real Jump Ball -- Redoux #2 This Year (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60088-real-jump-ball-redoux-2-year.html)

Freddy Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:40am

Real Jump Ball -- Redoux #2 This Year

Fourth "real jump ball" in four years tonight.
Even the veteran coach from the visiting team remarked "I've never seen that before."
More interesting this time, in that the shorter guard who had to jump it up against a much taller forward knew he'd never win it, so he tapped the ensuing jump ball early, on the way up. Easy call for the violation.
Nice way to start a game when nobody in the gym but our crew knew what what was going on.
I'm going for an NFHS record on these.

grunewar Sat Dec 11, 2010 07:28am

Question?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 706823)
Fourth "real jump ball" in four years tonight.
Even the veteran coach from the visiting team remarked "I've never seen that before."
More interesting this time, in that the shorter guard who had to jump it up against a much taller forward knew he'd never win it, so he tapped the ensuing jump ball early, on the way up. Easy call for the violation.
Nice way to start a game when nobody in the gym but our crew knew what what was going on.
I'm going for an NFHS record on these.

A couple weeks ago we had a really quick backcourt on the initial tap. I was U2 and apparently missed it as I didn't see the girl get the ball briefly in the frontcourt before she went the wrong way, realized her error and turned around. Evaluator - be alive at the tap. Me - lesson learned, got it.

I pregamed it the next time. As the R, I put the ball up, and it was pretty obvious to me that A1 stole the tap. But as the R, I didn't have my whistle. U1 passed on it. Ball is gone quickly and in the corner already and play is starting.

I had a stern talk with my P's. Would you blow it dead 2-3 sec late and interrupt the game to get it right or let it go? I was disappointed the game started that way. Thoughts?

Jurassic Referee Sat Dec 11, 2010 07:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 706853)
Thoughts?

Pre-game...."Let's start out right. Don't let 'em steal the tap."

grunewar Sat Dec 11, 2010 08:20am

Completely Agree!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 706854)
Pre-game...."Let's start out right. Don't let 'em steal the tap."

Sad story.

I had a good pregame with U2 and we talked about it. But U1 was late and didn't get that part of the pep talk. Then, they both passed on it. No way to start a game. :(

bob jenkins Sat Dec 11, 2010 08:52am

Quote:

Would you blow it dead 2-3 sec late and interrupt the game to get it right or let it go?

I would let it go. If you (as R and tosser) blow it dead now, you'll be asked to "overrule" your partners all night long.

BillyMac Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:54am

Let's Get Ready To Rumble ...

Quote:

Would you blow it dead 2-3 sec late and interrupt the game to get it right or let it go? Thoughts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 706854)
"Let's start out right. Don't let 'em steal the tap."

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 706857)
I would let it go. If you blow it dead now, you'll be asked to "overrule" your partners all night long.

Stay tuned. This is gonna be good.

Jurassic Referee Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 706869)
Stay tuned. This is gonna be good.

Why?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough but I wasn't commenting on what I'd actually do. I was commenting on what I think should have been done in the pre-game to avoid the problem.

Of course I agree with Bob. You can't wait that long to call any violation. You missed it; learn from it and move on. What's criminal is missing it again.

BillyMac Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:35pm

Just My Opinion ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 706888)
You can't wait that long to call any violation.

So, as the tosser, I can't call any jump ball violations because it takes too long to put the whistle back in my mouth? And to bob's point, as the tosser, I can't call any jump ball violations because it will make my partner look bad? So I guess that as the tosser, I'm never calling any jump ball violations?

When I'm the nontosser, I've got a lot of things, a whole lot of things, to look for. I would appreciate any help that my partner could give me, even if it take a few seconds for him to put the whistle in his mouth. We're a team and I wouldn't think that he was throwing me under the team bus by helping me out here.

Jurassic Referee Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 706908)
When I'm the nontosser, I've got a lot of things, a whole lot of things, to look for.

What is so hard about the "whole lot of things a U1 or U2 has to look for? You learn the jump-ball restrictions listed under rule 6-3 and call them if they happen. Same as you do for the restrictions listed for throw-ins, free throws, etc. It ain't rocket science....just part of our regular job.

What's the old saying?

Those that can, do. Those that can't, time!

just another ref Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 706914)

Those that can, do. Those that can't, time!

.....and do crowd control

.....and, when asked, point out potential administrative T's

.....and sometimes when not asked.

SNIPERBBB Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 706908)
So, as the tosser, I can't call any jump ball violations because it takes too long to put the whistle back in my mouth? And to bob's point, as the tosser, I can't call any jump ball violations because it will make my partner look bad? So I guess that as the tosser, I'm never calling any jump ball violations?

When I'm the nontosser, I've got a lot of things, a whole lot of things, to look for. I would appreciate any help that my partner could give me, even if it take a few seconds for him to put the whistle in his mouth. We're a team and I wouldn't think that he was throwing me under the team bus by helping me out here.

If your U1 your only job is to be watching the ball during the jump, for starting the clock and calling back a bad toss. From the U1 position it should be easier to determine if the ball made it to its highest point before it was tipped, though the R does have responsibility for the jumpers.

U2 gets to sit back and watch the nonjumpers

BillyMac Sat Dec 11, 2010 01:13pm

Cross The Border, Enter The 20th Century ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 706922)
U1,U2

What is this U1, and U2, that you speak of? I'm in Connecticut, the Land of Steady Habits, the Land of Two Person Games, and the land of no alcohol sold on Sundays. We still have Blue Laws.

Freddy Sat Dec 11, 2010 02:39pm

Nota Bene

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 706888)
. . . Of course I agree with Bob. . . .

Newbies to the discussion board: Note this important tidbit of wisdom. Sage advise! :)

SNIPERBBB Sat Dec 11, 2010 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 706923)
What is this U1, and U2, that you speak of? I'm in Connecticut, the Land of Steady Habits, the Land of Two Person Games, and the land of no alcohol sold on Sundays. We still have Blue Laws.

Sorry lol. Didnt know that many states were still in the Dark Ages.

Freddy Sat Dec 11, 2010 09:52pm

White, Beige, Black . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 706923)
I'm in Connecticut . . . We still have Blue Laws.

Do all your schools there have blue as a school color or something?