The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Assistant coach at pre-game conference (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60061-assistant-coach-pre-game-conference.html)

bainsey Thu Dec 09, 2010 08:41am

Assistant coach at pre-game conference

You're the U in a two-man team. The R performs the pre-game conference with coaches and captains. You believe all has gone well.

During the game, another adult on the bench requests a time out. You ignore it. The R grants it. You check with the bench to advise that only the head coach can request a time out, and you're told that the "other guy" is the head coach. It was the assistant at the pre-game. Apparently, your partner knew that, and you didn't.

I don't see anything under 10-5 that issues a penalty to the coach for not being at the conference. Is there any other incentive, or is this simply chalked up to bad communication?

bob jenkins Thu Dec 09, 2010 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 706344)
You're the U in a two-man team. The R performs the pre-game conference with coaches and captains. You believe all has gone well.

During the game, another adult on the bench requests a time out. You ignore it. The R grants it. You check with the bench to advise that only the head coach can request a time out, and you're told that the "other guy" is the head coach. It was the assistant at the pre-game. Apparently, your partner knew that, and you didn't.

I don't see anything under 10-5 that issues a penalty to the coach for not being at the conference. Is there any other incentive, or is this simply chalked up to bad communication?

Depends on the state, and what the enforced requirements for attending the pre-game conference are.

Adam Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:16am

bob's right (of course), some states require the hc to be at the conference, and in your situation the hc would be the coach who attended. Here, it's not that big a deal. All the HCs here stand, anyway, so whichever coach is standing, that's the one I'll hear when a TO is requested.

Terrapins Fan Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:35am

I referee in Maryland and West Virginia.

In Maryland, it's captains only.

In West Virginia, it's Captains and head coach, but we can have the assistant under certain circumstances.

We once had a head coach who could not talk because of his throat, temporary problem.

Adam Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 706368)
I referee in Maryland and West Virginia.

In Maryland, it's captains only.

In West Virginia, it's Captains and head coach, but we can have the assistant under certain circumstances.

We once had a head coach who could not talk because of his throat, temporary problem.

Here in CO it's two separate meetings.

rsl Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 706368)

I've dreamed of this kind of coach ...

Utah dropped coaches from the pre-game conference this year. We now meet only with captains.

bainsey Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 706358)
All the HCs here stand, anyway, so whichever coach is standing, that's the one I'll hear when a TO is requested.

Funny, no-one was standing from that bench all game. (We have the coaching box, too.) The HC was seated the entire game.

I'll check locally. Thanks, guys.

Jurassic Referee Thu Dec 09, 2010 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 706402)
I'll check locally.

A good rule of thumb would be to ask your local rules interpreter what to do.

And in your case, always do the opposite.

BillyMac Fri Dec 10, 2010 06:17pm

Captains, Head Coaches, Pregame Meeting ...

Here in the Constitution State:

Officials pre-game meeting should occur prior to start of game. If the head coach refuses to attend the meeting, notify Board Secretary or Commissioner, who will notify the school athletic director and CIAC.