The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I don't like to brag, but....yeah, right (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59985-i-dont-like-brag-but-yeah-right.html)

Mark Padgett Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:15pm

I don't like to brag, but....yeah, right

The daily newspaper here in Portland, The Oregonian, publishes a humor column every day called "The Edge". On Fridays, it consists of content sent in by a reader. About six months ago, just for fun, I sent in my "howler monkey language" stuff, which I posted on this forum quite some time ago. I'd forgotten all about sending it in, but imagine my surprise when I opened my paper this morning and there it was! :eek:

Here's the link:
Friday's Edge: Basketball speak, the official translation | OregonLive.com

Welpe Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:17pm

Good job, Mark.

Did you submit an essay espousing the first rule of officiating?

JugglingReferee Fri Dec 03, 2010 02:08pm

Enjoyed it.

SCalScoreKeeper Fri Dec 03, 2010 02:23pm

Same here Mark,
That was one of the funniest basketball reads I've seen in a long time.

DLH17 Fri Dec 03, 2010 02:32pm

funny stuff right there

bainsey Fri Dec 03, 2010 02:33pm

Coaches throughout Oregon suddenly saw spikes in blood pressure.

26 Year Gap Fri Dec 03, 2010 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 705024)
The daily newspaper here in Portland, The Oregonian, publishes a humor column every day called "The Edge". On Fridays, it consists of content sent in by a reader. About six months ago, just for fun, I sent in my "howler monkey language" stuff, which I posted on this forum quite some time ago. I'd forgotten all about sending it in, but imagine my surprise when I opened my paper this morning and there it was! :eek:

Here's the link:

You weren't so surprised that you puked on your shoes, I trust.

fullor30 Fri Dec 03, 2010 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 705024)

Here's the link:

"I don't like to brag, but....yeah, right"

Then don't..............;)

BillyMac Fri Dec 03, 2010 06:03pm

If The News Fits, Print It ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 705027)
Did you submit an essay espousing the first rule of officiating?

Please don't post this link.

Mark Padgett Fri Dec 03, 2010 07:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 705159)
Please don't post this link.

But I have such a good pic. :rolleyes:

mbyron Fri Dec 03, 2010 08:14pm

Why hasn't anyone posted comments on the article yet? Are the 10 of us the only ones who read it? :p

Mark Padgett Fri Dec 03, 2010 09:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 705170)
Why hasn't anyone posted comments on the article yet? Are the 10 of us the only ones who read it? :p

Since this appeared in print in the daily paper, it could have been read by over 260,000 people, since that is the paper's daily circulation. I have no idea how many people register to participate in their on-line blog, which is where the link takes you.

I get the paper delivered seven days a week. I usually read the sports, Daily Jumble puzzle, comics and the humor column. My wife does the crossword. I guess they also have news.

grunewar Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:57pm

Our own Mark, a published author.

I'm all verklempt......:p

PS - yeah, right, you don't like to brag......hey, haven't heard anything about the hoop playing grandkid lately........ahem

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 705182)
I'm all verklempt......:p

There's probably only a handful (if even that many) here who know what that means. When I first saw you use it, I thought my grandmother was posting. :)

grunewar Sat Dec 04, 2010 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 705226)
There's probably only a handful (if even that many) here who know what that means.

I figured you and justacoach for sure......the others can look it up! ;)