The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Steve Welmer (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59931-steve-welmer.html)

BillyMac Wed Dec 01, 2010 07:33am

So You've Seen Me Work ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 704163)
While his mechanics and knowledge are good, he just can't make it up and down the court anymore. Someone is gonna have to break the news to him, soon.......

Thanks for reminding me. I need to purchase another bottle of aspirin. Hopefully I'll find a "Buy one, get one free" sale at CVS.

BillyMac Wed Dec 01, 2010 07:36am

The King Is Dead, Long Live The King ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 704084)
And with that it's sad to think that a great drinking game has come to an end too.

Livers of the world rejoice.

mj Wed Dec 01, 2010 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 704153)
J.D had a knee replacement this past spring and he retired. He talked about it at a camp I was at. Very sad story if you value officiating.

Peace

That sucks. JD was one my favorites to watch.

jeschmit Wed Dec 01, 2010 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 704160)
Or anytime a call is "sold". :D

How about when he bends over and puts his hands on his knees to get a "better look" in the lead position? Or anytime he leans?

Adam Wed Dec 01, 2010 05:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeschmit (Post 704371)
How about when he bends over and puts his hands on his knees to get a "better look" in the lead position? Or anytime he leans?

This gets my vote.

CDurham Wed Dec 01, 2010 05:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 704376)
This gets my vote.

With Welmer being so tall. What does everyone think about height in officiating?

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 01, 2010 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 704382)
With Welmer being so tall. What does everyone think about height in officiating?

Not really relevant imo. Getting into and staying in position as well as getting the right angles to see what's going on has nothing really to do with height. Combine that with presence, rules knowledge and good judgment and game management and you're gonna get a well officiated game imo, no matter how tall or short the official may be.

Adam Wed Dec 01, 2010 05:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 704382)

I suppose it can help with "presence," but I've known some shorter officials who have great presence on the court. And I've known some taller officials who have almost zero "presence."

BLydic Wed Dec 01, 2010 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 704149)
We could easily invent one.

First thought: Every time he birddogs, drink.

At least with Welmer you had a slim chance of seeing the end of the game, not with this one.

CDurham Wed Dec 01, 2010 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 704393)
Not really relevant imo. Getting into and staying in position as well as getting the right angles to see what's going on has nothing really to do with height. Combine that with presence, rules knowledge and good judgment and game management and you're gonna get a well officiated game imo, no matter how tall or short the official may be.

I agree. I haven't been in officiating long, but have heard a lot about being over 6' with regards to court presence and picking up the pivot foot and being aware of whats going on closer to the floor in regards to pivoting and having eyes higher up

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 01, 2010 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 704401)
I agree. I haven't been in officiating long, but have heard a lot about being over 6' with regards to court presence and picking up the pivot foot and being aware of whats going on closer to the floor in regards to pivoting and <font color = red>having eyes higher up</font>

Backing up a step or two usually takes care of "eyes higher up" when you want or need to get your eyes higher up. And needing to get your eyes higher up is only applicable to some situations anyway at L, C or T. Sometimes it's your job to get the contact or foot movements below.

I've found that the need for an official to get their eyes higher up is usually a case of that official being too close to the play.

CDurham Wed Dec 01, 2010 06:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 704411)
Backing up a step or two usually takes care of "eyes higher up" when you want or need to get your eyes higher up. And needing to get your eyes higher up is only applicable to some situations anyway at L, C or T. Sometimes it's your job to get the contact or foot movements below.

I've found that the need for an official to get their eyes higher up is usually a case of that official being too close to the play.

I agree with that also, I find myself too close sometimes and having to back out. It just seems difficult for me to referee down low sometimes.

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 01, 2010 06:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 704413)
It just seems difficult for me to referee down low sometimes.

Keep backing. :D

And move around to get a good angle if you can on the separation between a shooter and a defender, or on opponents rebounding. Sometimes though you just can't get a good look and you have to depend on help from your partner(s).

CDurham Wed Dec 01, 2010 06:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 704417)
Keep backing. :D

And move around to get a good angle if you can on the separation between a shooter and a defender, or on opponents rebounding. Sometimes though you just can't get a good look and you have to depend on help from your partner(s).

Thanks JR!

BktBallRef Wed Dec 01, 2010 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref (Post 704148)
Life is too short and youth is wasted on the young!

Isn't it a shame that we don't realize that when we're young?