The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Faked basketball injury? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59901-faked-basketball-injury.html)

Mark Padgett Sun Nov 28, 2010 03:14pm

Faked basketball injury?

We've had the thread(s) about the Cal football player faking an injury to slow down the game against Oregon, so now let me ask this. Has anyone ever had a basketball player fake an injury to get an official to stop the clock, perhaps because that team was out of timeouts and needed the clock stopped for something (perhaps a sub)? If so, how did you determine the player was faking? What, if anything, did you do about it?

For the rest of us - if you really thought this was happening in one of your games, how would you deal with it. I know it would be extremely difficult to be positive a player was faking an injury, but I guess they might try it under certain circumstances.

Jurassic Referee Sun Nov 28, 2010 04:20pm

We aren't doctors. We aren't mind readers. If a player goes down, we treat them as being legitimitely injured. Every single time. No exceptions. Ever!

We leave the second-guessing to others.

deecee Sun Nov 28, 2010 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jurassic referee (Post 703667)
we aren't doctors. We aren't mind readers. If a player goes down, we treat them as being legitimitely injured. Every single time. No exceptions. Ever!

+1

APG Sun Nov 28, 2010 04:45pm

In theory I'd call an unsporting technical foul.

In reality, I'm not a mind reader as thus will stop the game each and every time at the appropriate time. I'm not about to get sued because I thought someone was faking an injury when they were indeed injured.

Indianaref Sun Nov 28, 2010 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jurassic referee (Post 703667)
we aren't doctors. We aren't mind readers. If a player goes down, we treat them as being legitimitely injured. Every single time. No exceptions. Ever!

++1

Adam Sun Nov 28, 2010 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 703667)
We aren't doctors. We aren't mind readers. If a player goes down, we treat them as being legitimitely injured. Every single time. No exceptions. Ever!

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 703668)
+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 703674)
++1

To quote my youngest brother; "Me too."

Camron Rust Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:59pm

If I'm suspicious, the few seconds they might think they're saving by faking an injury will probably be lost as I'm checking the status of the ball and/or letting the other team complete their in-progress play.

BillyMac Mon Nov 29, 2010 07:14am

Little Brothers, Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 703696)
To quote my youngest brother; "Me too."

Me three.

Indianaref Mon Nov 29, 2010 09:17am

Years ago, when I used to play a lot of pick up games we had one guy who "grand standed" all the time. All we had to say was " we need a sub" and he miraculously got better immediately.