The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS signals (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59887-nfhs-signals.html)

Zoochy Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:22pm

NFHS signals

High School/NFHS.
Do you give a 'preliminary signal' on every called foul?
Ex: A1 drives the lane goes up for a shot and is hacked by B1. Ball does not go in the basket. Whistle, fist in the air..... then what?

grunewar Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:27pm

I do not give a preliminary signal.

I will keep an eye on the players to ensure nothing further develops and not be in a hurry. I will keep my fist in the air and then indicate two shots. I will tell my partner who the shooter is. Then I will go around the players and make my report in the reporting area as my partner lines em up.

APG Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:34pm

The only preliminaries I give are for block/charge calls and rarely a handcheck.

Bishopcolle Sat Nov 27, 2010 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 703518)
The only preliminaries I give are for block/charge calls and rarely a handcheck.

If they're gonna shoot FT's, I hold up two fingers headed to the scorer's table so my partner knows we're shooting...if not, I point to the spot, then head to the scorer's table....

dsqrddgd909 Sat Nov 27, 2010 05:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 703516)
High School/NFHS.
Do you give a 'preliminary signal' on every called foul?
Ex: A1 drives the lane goes up for a shot and is hacked by B1. Ball does not go in the basket. Whistle, fist in the air..... then what?

Might be one of those "when in Rome" things. In this area we are told to always give a "4 points of foul reporting" preliminary signal.

stiffler3492 Sat Nov 27, 2010 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 703559)
Might be one of those "when in Rome" things. In this area we are told to always give a "4 points of foul reporting" preliminary signal.

I was told by one veteran I've worked with several times already this season that if I want to move up, I should give a preliminary signal.

Jurassic Referee Sat Nov 27, 2010 07:11pm

You do what your local "Powers That Be" want you to do.

Welpe Sat Nov 27, 2010 09:49pm

I was trained to always give a preliminary signal, along with color, number and foul at the spot of the foul. That said, very few of the people I've worked with do it that way.

MelbRef Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:39pm

I feel like we should provide a preliminary signal, but our association just wants it on block, charge, and handchecks.

Rich Sun Nov 28, 2010 01:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 703569)
I was told by one veteran I've worked with several times already this season that if I want to move up, I should give a preliminary signal.

And in other areas, giving a prelim on garden-variety fouls might keep you from moving up.

I give a preliminary when I feel it adds to the overall picture -- else, I don't.

fullor30 Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by richmsn (Post 703603)
and in other areas, giving a prelim on garden-variety fouls might keep you from moving up.

i give a preliminary when i feel it adds to the overall picture -- else, i don't.

+1

zm1283 Sun Nov 28, 2010 02:29pm

We are told to use the "Four steps" and must give a preliminary signal at the spot of the foul.

BLydic Sun Nov 28, 2010 05:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 703571)
You do what your local "Powers That Be" want you to do.

+110

There really is no other answer and it could vary from observer to observer.