The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   POI Penalty? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59877-poi-penalty.html)

The R Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:14am

POI Penalty?

I have read some of the discussion surrounding this POE. I am hearing conflicting opinions on how this is being penalized among different HS associations within the same state.

How do you penalize warming up using both ends of the court, running around the complete court before warm ups, and/or gathering in a circle at half court after being introduced?

How is your high school association handling this?

fullor30 Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The R (Post 703385)
I have read some of the discussion surrounding this POI. I am hearing conflicting opinions on how this is being penalized among different HS associations within the same state.

How do you penalize warming up using both ends of the court, running around the complete court before warm ups, and/or gathering in a circle at half court after being introduced?

POI is point of interruption. Point of emphasis is what you're shooting for?

ranjo Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:01am

Quote:

I have read some of the discussion surrounding this POI. I am hearing conflicting opinions on how this is being penalized among different HS associations within the same state.

Assuming you mean POE and not POI, most of these problems can be handled using preventitive officiating. During introductions, officials may stand in the center circle and direct players to their respective end of the court after handshakes, fist bumps, etc.

Scrapper1 Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:03am

My association is not assessing penalties for merely circling the court or gathering in the center circle, unless some other unsporting behavior results. We've been instructed to file a report with the league commissioner and state association for these incidents, whether or not any other unsporting behavior occurs.

bob jenkins Fri Nov 26, 2010 05:58pm

Quote:

I have read some of the discussion surrounding this POE. I am hearing conflicting opinions on how this is being penalized among different HS associations within the same state.

Here, running around the court or gathering at center is a Team T and an indirect to the coach.

And, yes, it is a state-to-state difference.

bainsey Fri Nov 26, 2010 06:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 703428)
Here, running around the court or gathering at center is a Team T and an indirect to the coach.

Same here.

Nevadaref Sun Nov 28, 2010 06:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 703428)

And, yes, it is a state-to-state difference.

That's the way I'd handle it.