The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "Wait, not him..." (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59857-wait-not-him.html)

bainsey Wed Nov 24, 2010 09:44am

"Wait, not him..."

B-1 fouls A-1 and is injured on the play. Team A is in the bonus. A-6 reports for A-1 and is beckoned into the game. Prior to A-6 entering the semi-circle to attempt the free throws, the coach has second thoughts and sends A-7 to replace A-6.

Official denies A-7 from entering the game to replace A-6. Is the official correct, and what's the rationale?

Adam Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 703022)
B-1 fouls A-1 and is injured on the play. Team A is in the bonus. A-6 reports for A-1 and is beckoned into the game. Prior to A-6 entering the semi-circle to attempt the free throws, the coach has second thoughts and sends A-7 to replace A-6.

Official denies A-7 from entering the game to replace A-6. Is the official correct, and what's the rationale?

A1's sub has to shoot; A6 is A1's sub, so unless he's injured, he has to shoot now.

26 Year Gap Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 703028)
A1's sub has to shoot; A6 is A1's sub, so unless he's injured, he has to shoot now.

+1 This is not a tech.

fullor30 Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:39pm

Not to be an English major, But B1 is the subject of your double verb, fouled and injured.

Since I screwed up in a game last night, I'll deflect that by being petty!

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Nov 24, 2010 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 703053)
Not to be an English major, But B1 is the subject of your double verb, fouled and injured.

Since I screwed up in a game last night, I'll deflect that by being petty!

The knives are coming out now, :D.

MTD, Sr.

P.S., I agree with your evaluation of his grammar, he had me guessing for a moment too.

26 Year Gap Wed Nov 24, 2010 01:51pm

So now there is a Mr. Annoying Sentence Structure Guy? Or is that a function of Mr. Annoying Grammar Guy?:confused:

Jurassic Referee Wed Nov 24, 2010 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 703060)
P.S., I agree with your <font color = red>evalauation</font> of his grammar, he had me guessing for a moment too.

What's worse? Poor grammar ot terrible spelling?

Hmmmmmm....maybe we should have a poll.....

BktBallRef Wed Nov 24, 2010 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 703068)

The word is "or", not "ot." :D

fullor30 Wed Nov 24, 2010 01:58pm

I'm just plain annoying to my daughter..........

fullor30 Wed Nov 24, 2010 02:00pm

Misspellid you can alway clame just a typow

bainsey Wed Nov 24, 2010 02:00pm

Actually, I'm a big believer in good grammar. I find it funny when other officials, who profess in being exact about the rules, groan about those who take that approach with sentence structure.

Fullor30, are you talking about a mixture of tenses in the double verb? (I copied and pasted the question.)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Nov 24, 2010 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 703068)

DOH!! I do not know which is worse, my eyesight or my typing. LOL

MTD, Sr.

26 Year Gap Wed Nov 24, 2010 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 703073)
Actually, I'm a big believer in good grammar. I find it funny when other officials, who profess in being exact about the rules, groan about those who take that approach with sentence structure.

Fullor30, are you talking about a mixture of tenses in the double verb? (I copied and pasted the question.)

Well, aren't a lot of the test questions using precise language in order to have the test taker arrive at the proper response? It is an extension of that mind set in my opinion.

26 Year Gap Wed Nov 24, 2010 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 703075)
DOH!! I do not which is worse, my eyesight or my typing. LOL

MTD, Sr.

Coaches would claim the former. Everyone else on this board would think you are only making excuses.

bainsey Wed Nov 24, 2010 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 703076)
Well, aren't a lot of the test questions using precise language in order to have the test taker arrive at the proper response?

Not always. I think we've all found grammatical errors on these questions.