The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

1st Technical of the Season

Had to issue a Technical on an AC during a scrimmage of all things. Hopefully it isn't a sign for the upcoming season, but if it is its part of the job. In the end though the AC came up and said the HC set him up for the Technical and that is was all a part of an inside joke that I wasn't aware of so I guess "Technically" it wasnt a true Technical.
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 11:02am
Courageous When Prudent

It was a scrimmage, so you are right, it wasn't a true technical.
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It was a scrimmage, so you are right, it wasn't a true technical.
It was a good prank for the HC to pull on the AC, but it would have been nice to know beforehand.
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 12:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

details?
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 12:28pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I knew of an official that was given abuse in a scrimmage to see how he would handle it. An inside agreement with a senior official & the HC.
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
details?
Okay here it goes.

A2 is driving to the basket in front of her teams bench (2nd half). B2 jumps straight up in her vertical plane and A2 initiates the contact. I have a no call and the ball ends up deflecting off of A2 after it contacts the rim and it goes OOB in front of Team A's. So it will be Team B's ball OOB in front of Team A's bench.

As I get ready to give the ball to B1 to make the inbounds throw in one of the AC's for Team A stands from his seat on the bench and raises his arms and yells straight in my direction "are you not going to call anything?". I look at him as I had them a couple of weeks prior in a scrimmage and I wasnt expecting something like this, but every day is different. I waited a couple of seconds as I wasn't going to respond to a question in that manner. I looked to the HC who was standing and asked would he please control his bench and personnel. He asked if I wanted it handled for me to do it myself. So I did.

Come to find out the AC runs over to me after the scrimmage and says that the HC set him up, because of an ongoing "inside joke" between the two.
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 03:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Coaches Are Teachers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
HC set him up, because of an ongoing "inside joke" between the two.
I hope that the kids, from both teams, were in on the joke. We've had some major issues regarding sportsmanship and coaches lately here in Connecticut.

The Bristol Press: Bristol, Conn., and surrounding areas (BristolPress.com)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 09:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Okay here it goes.

A2 is driving to the basket in front of her teams bench (2nd half). B2 jumps straight up in her vertical plane and A2 initiates the contact. I have a no call and the ball ends up deflecting off of A2 after it contacts the rim and it goes OOB in front of Team A's. So it will be Team B's ball OOB in front of Team A's bench.

As I get ready to give the ball to B1 to make the inbounds throw in one of the AC's for Team A stands from his seat on the bench and raises his arms and yells straight in my direction "are you not going to call anything?". I look at him as I had them a couple of weeks prior in a scrimmage and I wasnt expecting something like this, but every day is different. I waited a couple of seconds as I wasn't going to respond to a question in that manner. I looked to the HC who was standing and asked would he please control his bench and personnel. He asked if I wanted it handled for me to do it myself. So I did.

Come to find out the AC runs over to me after the scrimmage and says that the HC set him up, because of an ongoing "inside joke" between the two.
I'm really not sure how that was set up. What could they have done to set that up?
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At the end though the AC came up and said the HC set him up for the Technical and that is was all a part of an inside joke
If you get the HC during the season, you might call a TF on him and when he asks why, say "Its just an inside joke between the other official(s) and me."
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
If you get the HC during the season, you might call a TF on him and when he asks why, say "Its just an inside joke between the other official(s) and me."
Haha that wouldnt be a bad idea.
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 07:29pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Thumbs down

Quote:
Haha that wouldnt be a bad idea.
Actually, it would be a bad idea. Especially if that inside joke made its way to your assignor.
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 07:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Actually, it would be a bad idea. Especially if that inside joke made its way to your assignor.
Lighten up, Francis.
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Oh yeah your right, that probably wouldnt turn out too good. I'm glad you said something or I might have went ahead joined in on the fun
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 08:00pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Oh yeah your right, that probably wouldnt turn out too good. I'm glad you said something or I might have went ahead joined in on the fun
A lot of things are funny to talk about, but not so funny when implemented.