The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59771-backcourt-violation.html)

cmhjordan23 Thu Nov 18, 2010 01:11am

Backcourt violation?

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to my own question, but I wanted to make sure. Player A1 is in front court. Player A1 passes to A2. A2 established position is in the backcourt. Jump from the backcourt to frontcourt, catches ball in frontcourt. Is this a backcourt violation because his established position was in backcourt?

Camron Rust Thu Nov 18, 2010 03:41am

What is an established position? Where is A2 when A2 contacts the ball?

BktBallRef Thu Nov 18, 2010 05:08am

He's in the FC when he touches the floor in the FC and is no longer touching the BC.

If he catches it before it lands in the FC, it's a violation.

BillyMac Thu Nov 18, 2010 07:21am

Global Positioning System ...

You are where you were until you get where you're going.

mbyron Thu Nov 18, 2010 07:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 701687)
You are where you were <strike>until</strike> till you get where you're going.

Saved your anapest for ya. ;)

bob jenkins Thu Nov 18, 2010 08:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 701675)
catches ball in frontcourt. Is this a backcourt violation because his established position was in backcourt?

Those two statements conflict. A2 can't catch the ball in the FC if his established postition is in the BC.

Adam Thu Nov 18, 2010 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 701675)
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to my own question, but I wanted to make sure. Player A1 is in front court. Player A1 passes to A2. A2 established position is in the backcourt. Jump from the backcourt to frontcourt, catches ball in frontcourt. Is this a backcourt violation because his established position was in backcourt?

The words "established position" will only get you in trouble. Did A2 land in the FC before catching the ball? That's all that matters here.

Note: all that's required for "land" here is one foot touching the FC (and nothing touching the BC) after he jumped.

justacoach Thu Nov 18, 2010 01:00pm

onomatopœia, iambic pentameter, quo vadis?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 701688)
Saved your anapest for ya. ;)

Mbyron, you will get extra credit if, within the next week, you can interpose any of these terms in a meaningful forum post.:p

Jurassic Referee Thu Nov 18, 2010 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 701754)
Mbyron, you will get extra credit if, within the next week, you can interpose any of these terms in a meaningful forum post.:p

Hell, you should give him extra credit if, within the next week, he can make a meaningful forum post.

Give him something a bit harder to shoot for.

mbyron Thu Nov 18, 2010 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 701758)
Hell, you should give him extra credit if, within the next week, he can make a meaningful forum post.

Give him something a bit harder to shoot for.

Shut up.

Where's my credit? :D

cmhjordan23 Thu Nov 18, 2010 04:59pm

Sorry for the poor wording. I got my answer. What I was referring to was, yes he caught the ball before touching the ground jumping from BC.

Adam Thu Nov 18, 2010 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 701828)
Sorry for the poor wording. I got my answer. What I was referring to was, yes he caught the ball before touching the ground jumping from BC.

In case there's any question: violation.