The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How Many Free Throws? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59727-how-many-free-throws.html)

stiffler3492 Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:12pm

How Many Free Throws?

A1 is intentionally fouled while in the act of shooting. The try is good. How many free throws follow?

1. One
2. Two
3. Three

All instances are followed with Team A taking the ball out of bounds at the nearest spot.

A rule/case reference would be helpful, too.

My opinion is three. One for the "And 1", and then the two for the intentional foul.

APG Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 701185)

My opinion is three. One for the "And 1", and then the two for the intentional foul.

Incorrect.

The penalty for an intentional foul is two shots and the ball. The only case where this is not true is on a missed three point shot.

stiffler3492 Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:17pm

Do you have a rule reference?

APG Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:27pm

Don't have my 2010 books nearby so you'll have to accept the casebook play from last year. The rule hasn't changed.

4.19.3 Situation A: B1 is charged with an intentional foul on A1 who is in the act of shooting: (a) a successful two-point or three-point try; (b) an unsuccessful two-point try; or (c) an unsuccessful three-point try. RULING: In (a) and (b) A1 is awarded two free throws. In (c), A1 is awarded three free throws. In all situations following the free throws, Team A is awarded a throw-in at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul.

Adam Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 701185)
A1 is intentionally fouled while in the act of shooting. The try is good. How many free throws follow?

1. One
2. Two
3. Three

All instances are followed with Team A taking the ball out of bounds at the nearest spot.

A rule/case reference would be helpful, too.

This may come across as harsh, but this should be basic. Do you ever combine penalties for a single foul? No.

Just as you don't add bonus free throws to technical foul penalties, you don't add "and one" to an intentional foul. By your logic, you'd need to give a shooter four shots if he was intentionally fouled while shooting an unsuccessful shot. Five if it was a three point shot.

stiffler3492 Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36pm

Thank you. That's what I get for looking in the wrong place.

Jurassic Referee Tue Nov 16, 2010 07:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 701188)
Do you have a rule reference?

NFHS rule 10-6 PENALTIES (Rule 10 Summary) #4 on p.64 of the rule book. This is a good reference section for any and all of your free throw penalty questions.

bainsey Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:19pm

For what it's worth, I had a game last spring that had an intentional foul on a made shot (wrapped arms around his waist on a lay-up), and this team was also expected a third free throw, due to the made basket.

That caught me by surprise, but perhaps this is a more common myth than I suspected.