The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   backboard (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59717-backboard.html)

timeout Sun Nov 14, 2010 04:32pm

backboard

Is it a violation if the ball goes over the backboard, in either direction?

mbyron Sun Nov 14, 2010 04:53pm

Yes.

bob jenkins Sun Nov 14, 2010 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by timeout (Post 700945)
Is it a violation if the ball goes over the backboard, in either direction?

Depends on the type of backboard: Legal if it's fan-shaped; illegal if it rectangular.

Mark Padgett Sun Nov 14, 2010 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 700946)
Yes.

Even this one?

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/tn/cp-5153xxxx.jpg

Back In The Saddle Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 700952)

Yes. Absolutely. Always. Except, of course, for that backboard. 'Cuz it's fan shaped. And it's not a violation for the ball to pass over the top of a fan shaped backboard. But absolutely always for rectangular ones. :)

centkyref Mon Nov 15, 2010 01:24pm

Does anybody still see the fan-shaped backboards any more outside of church/rrec league? I can't think of a game in 20 years that I've seen one.

centkyref Mon Nov 15, 2010 01:26pm

Does anybody outside of church/rec leagues still have fan-shaped backboards? I can't think of seeing any in the past 20 years, at least.

Indianaref Mon Nov 15, 2010 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by centkyref (Post 701077)
Does anybody outside of church/rec leagues still have fan-shaped backboards? I can't think of seeing any in the past 20 years, at least.

Homeowners.

Adam Mon Nov 15, 2010 01:40pm

Seems like a question originating from a pickup game.

Mark Padgett Mon Nov 15, 2010 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by centkyref (Post 701076)
Does anybody still see the fan-shaped backboards any more outside of church/rrec league? I can't think of a game in 20 years that I've seen one.

Originally Posted by centkyref

Does anyone outside of centkyref still make virtually identical consecutive posts? I can't think of seeing any in the past 20 years, at least.

Also - what's the difference between a rrec league and a rec league?

mbyron Mon Nov 15, 2010 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 701083)
Also - what's the difference between a rrec league and a rec league?

The former is to be pronounced with a slight growl.

Unless you're from Spain, in which case you're to add a trill to the r sound.

Back In The Saddle Mon Nov 15, 2010 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 701085)
The former is to be pronounced with a slight growl.

Unless you're from Spain, in which case you're to add a trill to the r sound.

In either case, the "w" is silent.

mbyron Mon Nov 15, 2010 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 701089)
In either case, the "w" is silent.

So is the "k."

Seemingly invisible, too. ;)

bainsey Mon Nov 15, 2010 02:21pm

In a high school tournament here a few years ago, a game-winning shot was described as being "over the backboard" in the local newspaper. I have to wonder if the writer -- and most readers -- know such a thing cannot legally exist, and if it cannot exist, maybe it didn't go over the backboard. If it did, there would have been a lot of noise about that shot. It was a rectangular backboard.

It was very close, though. It made me wonder if the entire ball, any part of the ball, or somewhere in between, has to pass over the backboard to be a violation. I never thought to ask until now.

Mark Padgett Mon Nov 15, 2010 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 701094)
In a high school tournament here a few years ago, a game-winning shot was described as being "over the backboard" in the local newspaper.

Was it at a really old HS with a fan backboard? Not making fun, just asking straight. Or was it a rectangular one and the story was being critical of the call?

bainsey Mon Nov 15, 2010 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 701121)
Was it at a really old HS with a fan backboard? Not making fun, just asking straight. Or was it a rectangular one and the story was being critical of the call?

Good catch, Mark. I failed to mentioned it was rectangular, and have edited my post accordingly.

I don't think there was anything implied by the story. The writer may not have known the rule, and wrote it as an improbable shot. He may have seen it differently than the officals. Or, the officials may have not been convinced it went over at all.

Adam Mon Nov 15, 2010 04:40pm

This rule is interpreted differently by different people. Some say the entire ball has to pass over the backboard, others say any piece of the ball qualifies.

Back In The Saddle Mon Nov 15, 2010 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 701132)
This rule is interpreted differently by different people. Some say the entire ball has to pass over the backboard, others say any piece of the ball qualifies.

NCAA specifies "The ball shall be out of bounds when any part of the ball passes over the backboard from any direction." As you imply, the NFHS does not specify.

I have only seen this happen a handful of times, but my observation is that quite often it can be very difficult to tell for certain whether the ball actually passes over the backboard. It just depends on the angles involved, both the angle of the ball and the angle it is observed from by the official.

Zoochy Mon Nov 15, 2010 05:21pm

Parkway West HS is a school in the St. Louis area that still has fan shaped backboards in their Gyms. Their court is also longer than the average court and they hire only 2 officials for their non-league games. I guess the AD is Old School.

BillyMac Mon Nov 15, 2010 05:43pm

Misty Watercolor Memories Of The Way We Were ...

Our old local high school, now an elementary school, was the first high school in Connecticut to have glass backboards. They were actually three quarters glass (the top three quarters) and one quarter wood, where the rims were attached. They're still there. Old timers tell me that when these glass backboards were first installed visiting fans would enter the gym and just stare and take photos of the "new fangled backboards".

BillyMac Mon Nov 15, 2010 05:45pm

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 701144)
Old School.

Once is alright. Twice and it gets a little scary. Just don't say it three times in a row. Please.

Zoochy Tue Nov 16, 2010 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 701158)
Once is alright. Twice and it gets a little scary. Just don't say it three times in a row. Please.

I try to choose my words carefully.
I do not believe he is the original 'Old School'.

ref3808 Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:55am

Fan Shaped Backboards

There are at least two HS summer leagues in our area that schedule games outdoors on courts with fan shaped backboards. Inclement weather causes games to be moved indoors.

I don't think there are any gyms in our area used for MS/HS contests that still have fan shaped.

Jurassic Referee Tue Nov 16, 2010 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 701132)

What does IAABO say? They issued an informational rules e-mail today mentioning that exact play but didn't say whether the violation was all-ball or part-ball. And yes, I've already asked Whats-His-Name his thoughts on it as an IABBO interpreter.:D

Imo the rule says its a violation if the ball passes over a rectangular backboard. It doesn't say a part-ball or 51% of a ball. Iow it has to be the whole ball.

Mark Padgett Tue Nov 16, 2010 02:36pm

In our local kids rec league, we play some 3rd, 4th and 5th grade games at elementary schools that still have old fan backboards. Since there's no "official" school teams below HS level in our school district, there's no reason to upgrade. From 6th grade thru HS, they play at two middle schools which have rectangulars. We make sure the newbie refs (who do the lower grade games) know the difference in the rule, although it almost never comes up.

Judtech Tue Nov 16, 2010 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 701144)
Old School.

Snoop A Loop, we're goin streakin..............ooops OT my bad!:p

Scrapper1 Wed Nov 17, 2010 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 701410)
Snoop A Loop, we're goin streakin..............ooops OT my bad!:p

http://www.askfitnesscoach.com/wp-co...k-the-Tank.jpg

Back on topic, it's always been my understanding that any part of the ball is the ball. Any part that goes over the backboard makes it out of bounds.

A player, for example, is out of bounds when on or outside a boundary line. Are you saying then that the WHOLE player must be on or outside the boundary line to be out of bounds? Of course not. S/he only needs to be touching one toe or one finger or any PART of the body on the line to be out of bounds. Likewise, if any part of the ball is over the backboard, the ball is out of bounds.

Jurassic Referee Wed Nov 17, 2010 09:11am

[QUOTE=Scrapper1;701501Back on topic, it's always been my understanding that any part of the ball is the ball. Any part that goes over the backboard makes it out of bounds.

A player, for example, is out of bounds when on or outside a boundary line. Are you saying then that the WHOLE player must be on or outside the boundary line to be out of bounds? Of course not. S/he only needs to be touching one toe or one finger or any PART of the body on the line to be out of bounds. Likewise, if any part of the ball is over the backboard, the ball is out of bounds.[/QUOTE]The rules say that a ball is in bounds if it touches the side of a rectangular backboard. The rules also say that a ball is out-of-bounds if it passes over the top of a rectangular backboard. Sooooo...what do you call, Skippy, on a shot from the deep corner when one half of the ball passes over the plane of the side of the board and the other half of the ball passes over the plane of the top of the board? Half a violation?

Riddle me that, BatThingy!

Johnny Ringo Wed Nov 17, 2010 09:26am

In the 90s the much of the state of Iowa did not have rectangular backboards. Not sure about now, but used to all be fan.

Scrapper1 Wed Nov 17, 2010 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 701510)
The rules say that a ball is in bounds if it touches the side of a rectangular backboard. The rules also say that a ball is out-of-bounds if it passes over the top of a rectangular backboard. Sooooo...what do you call, Skippy, on a shot from the deep corner when one half of the ball passes over the plane of the side of the board and the other half of the ball passes over the plane of the top of the board?

What's the problem here? You've told me the ball is inbounds if it touches the side of the backboard and then provided an example where the ball is NOT touching the side of the backboard. The ball has passed over the backboard. Violation.

I think it's probably impossible for the ball to touch the side of the backboard AND go over the backboard, so your dilemma isn't really a concern for me.

Adam Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 701515)
In the 90s the much of the state of Iowa did not have rectangular backboards. Not sure about now, but used to all be fan.

Really? I grew up in a small town in Iowa in the 80's, graduating in 1992. They updated the gym after I graduated and moved away. We had rectangle backboards.

Jurassic Referee Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 701524)
I think it's probably impossible for the ball to touch the side of the backboard AND go over the backboard, so your dilemma isn't really a concern for me.

Sorry I bothered you. I'll take my dilemmas elsewhere.

Back In The Saddle Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 701565)
Sorry I bothered you. I'll take my dilemmas elsewhere.

Your description of passing over multiple planes simultaneously doesn't quite make sense to me. I can't picture what you're describing. Would you mind restating it? (Yeah, I know, small simple words 'cuz I'm not that bright).