The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   8th grader on varsity (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59699-8th-grader-varsity.html)

lmeadski Thu Nov 11, 2010 08:24pm

8th grader on varsity

I know this isn't something us refs need to know. But, do any of you scholars know what the NFHS or Michigan HSAA association rule is on this? I think you are limited to 4 years of official varsity ball but an 8th grader can play frosh or JV without risking their varsity eligibility. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks.

Adam Thu Nov 11, 2010 08:26pm

AFAIK, the NFHS doesn't take a position on eligibility, games played, quarters played, years played, etc.

BktBallRef Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmeadski (Post 700676)
I know this isn't something us refs need to know. But, do any of you scholars know what the NFHS or Michigan HSAA association rule is on this? I think you are limited to 4 years of official varsity ball but an 8th grader can play frosh or JV without risking their varsity eligibility. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks.

That's a state association call. Does the Michigan association have a website with that type of information?

dsqrddgd909 Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmeadski (Post 700676)

From wikipedia
Participation in Michigan is generally limited to eligible 9th through 12th graders; students are given eight consecutive semesters of eligibility beginning with the 9th grade. Schools with a four year high school enrollment of 99 or less may draw upon the 8th grade for varsity competition in all sports except football, ice hockey and wrestling, while schools with a four year high school enrollment of 49 or less may also draw upon the 7th grade.

Direct from the MHSAA web site:
Maximum Enrollment and Maximum Competition – Once students begin the 9th
grade, they are allowed eight semesters, or 12 trimesters of enrollment (definition above)....... The rule does not apply to 7th and 8th-graders.
http://www.mhsaa.com/LinkClick.aspx?...4I1scUNv_N0%3D

SamIAm Fri Nov 12, 2010 01:27pm

Might anyone know how many years of varsity basketball Diebler played?

Welpe Fri Nov 12, 2010 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 700765)
Might anyone know how many years of varsity basketball Diebler played?

He didn't. He went to three years of junior high and then directly to Division I basketball. Wait...I might be mixing my threads.

Adam Fri Nov 12, 2010 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 700769)
He didn't. He went to three years of junior high and then directly to Division I basketball. Wait...I might be mixing my threads.

He played one continuous season of HS Varsity ball.

Mark Padgett Fri Nov 12, 2010 02:25pm

You guys go it all wrong. Diebler went directly from middle school to the NBA, MLB, NHL and NFL in the same year. He's the only guy to receive MVP recognition from all four leagues in the same year.

And...he did it all with one hand tied behind his back! Wow - what a guy!

Adam Fri Nov 12, 2010 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 700778)
You guys go it all wrong. Diebler went directly from middle school to the NBA, MLB, NHL and NFL in the same year. He's the only guy to receive MVP recognition from all four leagues in the same year.

And...he did it all with one hand tied behind his back! Wow - what a guy!

All while attending classes for personal liesure at TOSU. If he drank Dos Equis, they'd fire that imposter.

mbyron Fri Nov 12, 2010 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 700780)
All while attending classes for personal liesure at TOSU. If he drank Dos Equis, they'd fire that imposter.

The Most Interesting Shooting Guard in the World.

Stay thirsty, my friends.®