Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So who gets the direct?
The team's scorekeeper.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
So did ours, but no penalty was described if they did. Figures.
Darn, now I have to stay awake for pregame warm-ups just in case.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 12:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Darn, now I have to stay awake for pregame warm-ups just in case.
I have little eye stickers I put on over my eyelids, so I can sleep standing up with nobody knowing. Does any other state require officials to take the court at TWENTY minutes?
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does any other state require officials to take the court at TWENTY minutes?
Yes.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Quote:
So who gets the direct?
From what I was told, no one does. The penalty is simply an indirect to the head coach.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 04:47pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
From what I was told, no one does. The penalty is simply an indirect to the head coach.
In NFHS rules, you CAN'T have only an indirect to the head coach. In NFHS, the indirect is only given when a direct technical foul is assessed to a member of bench personnel.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
So here's a question for everyone.

My alma mater has been doing the full court lap for warmups since before I attended there, what can be done to cease this "unsporting" activity since it is actually illegal to do?
Our state wants it banged since this is not new. The full court lap, huddling in the center circle, full court use for warmups, etc. They want a "T" issued to the head coach and he loses the coaching box. Doesn't matter whether he/she is there or not when it happens.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
In NFHS rules, you CAN'T have only an indirect to the head coach. In NFHS, the indirect is only given when a direct technical foul is assessed to a member of bench personnel.
Duhhh...major brain fart on my part. Good thing I had it now and not during the season

Maybe it was a direct to the coach? I'm getting conflicting answers so I'm just going to email the state office.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 05:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
Duhhh...major brain fart on my part. Good thing I had it now and not during the season

Maybe it was a direct to the coach? I'm getting conflicting answers so I'm just going to email the state office.
There is a ruling in the Case Book that says a HC can receive an indirect when the TEAM is charged with a technical foul. Normally, a TEAM technical foul does not count towards the HC in any way, but there are a few instances where it is appropriate for the indirect to be assessed.

This would seem like one of those cases.

BTW POE #2 in this year's book now makes it a national policy whereas the previous policy of the NFHS was to leave this area up to the determination of each individual state association. That's a big deal, if your state didn't have any previous regulations on these activities. Such is the case with Nevada.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 07:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
BTW POE #2 in this year's book now makes it a national policy whereas the previous policy of the NFHS was to leave this area up to the determination of each individual state association. That's a big deal, if your state didn't have any previous regulations on these activities. Such is the case with Nevada.
This is the first I've seen this, Nevada. You're right, it's a big deal. CO hasn't had a policy that I've been aware of. For those states, it is new, and I wonder if the state offices are going to direct a softer approach the first year.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does any other state require officials to take the court at TWENTY minutes?
Generally around here, the floor officials make their presence known after the teams have already taken the court, with between 15-18 minutes left of pregame.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 07:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Generally around here, the floor officials make their presence known after the teams have already taken the court, with between 15-18 minutes left of pregame.
"Make their presence known?" Do you mean simply walk out onto the court? Or is it like Texas, where the officials blow their whistle to let the pampered athletes know it's time to stop breaking the rules?
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Make their presence known?" Do you mean simply walk out onto the court? Or is it like Texas, where the officials blow their whistle to let the pampered athletes know it's time to stop breaking the rules?
Sorry, should of clarified...I was meaning they are not present when the teams first come out for warmups. They come out while the teams are in the middle of their warmups.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 07:55am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Might be more a case of the coaches in Texas. Don't want to upset 'em.

Ricockulous practice! Find an excuse to ignore a very plainly-written rule that's been in effect umpty-ump years. Texas wants to change their officials into See No Evil monkeys. If you're not going to follow it, just change the damn rule.

Grumble, grumble, grumble.....
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 09:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Might be more a case of the coaches in Texas. Don't want to upset 'em.

Ricockulous practice! Find an excuse to ignore a very plainly-written rule that's been in effect umpty-ump years. Texas wants to change their officials into See No Evil monkeys. If you're not going to follow it, just change the damn rule.

Grumble, grumble, grumble.....
I'm with ya, boss.