The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Got my schedule... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59404-got-my-schedule.html)

A Pennsylvania Coach Mon Oct 18, 2010 02:51pm

Got my schedule...

...and I got my first varsity game! It's only one game, and it is a tourney consolation, but I'm still pretty happy. It'll be only my fourth season. The rest of my schedule is all JV boys, which I'm thrilled about. There are a few guys in our chapter who are a couple years ahead of me doing split varsity girls/JV boys so hopefully that is the next step for me next year!

CaRef5 Mon Oct 18, 2010 04:57pm

congrats! keep up the hard work!

oh and remember to have fun and relax while you're out there too :)

Mark Padgett Mon Oct 18, 2010 05:45pm

And don't forget the first rule of officiating. :p

grunewar Mon Oct 18, 2010 06:02pm

Good for you!

Fourth season - seems about right.......unless of course you're from....wait for it.....SoCal! ;)

Enjoy and let us know how it goes!!!

Mark - on ignore! :)

Judtech Mon Oct 18, 2010 08:51pm

Posts like this always remind me of the old Monster . com commercial where the kid says "I wanna claw my way to middle management!". I always tell myself that when I get my schedule, it keeps me humble!! Unless and until I do a Final Four and you all tune in and heckle me (I sense Jurrasic salivating now!) at that point I will be "Big Time" and scorn all of the 'Little People":D

This is not to say anything bad about your schedule. I think it is exciting when you see your schedule increase in quality (and hopefully quantity). Those of us who have done Varsity games can remember our "first". It is such a highlight to circle on your calendar, you make sure that your shirt is extra bright, the shoes are looking good, possibly take the slacks to the dry cleaner!! Don't just enjoy the game my friend, revel in it and in the anticipation as the date gets closer. Its those types of feelings that make officiating fun, and too often we get "used to it" and forget the joy we once knew.
OK, so I ordered an extra glass of Melancholy tonite!!
CONGRATS!!!!!

Kingsman1288 Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 696917)
Fourth season - seems about right.......unless of course you're from....wait for it.....SoCal!

I resent that...it took me 2 years :p

PA Coach, congrats! It's like they all say, you'll always remember your first!

Welpe Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18pm

My congrats as well! Have a great one!

BillyMac Tue Oct 19, 2010 06:27am

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/...311ef18c_m.jpg

GoodwillRef Tue Oct 19, 2010 06:41am

I think we all remember that first varsity game...congrats...have fun.

Rich Tue Oct 19, 2010 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 696962)

I do. I was in a small association in PA that only covered a handful semi-rural schools and assigned very little in the way of varsity games. While I had all the JV/FR/MS games I wanted, it took me 6 years to get my first varsity game. That was 17 years ago.

Enjoy it. You'll never get another first.

Rufus Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:51pm

Congratulations and please let us know how it goes!

A Pennsylvania Coach Tue Oct 19, 2010 01:29pm

Thanks everyone. Should be no pressure. I only have a dozen people already promising to come including a couple great officials from my chapter!

Jurassic Referee Tue Oct 19, 2010 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 696962)

The first varsity high school basketball game that I officiated was also the first organized basketball game that I officiated. December, 1959 and I'd just turned 16 at the end of October. Pre-season exhibition game. Also did varsity football that fall in 2 rural high school leagues at the age of 15. Was in high school but recovering from knee surgery and the doctors wouldn't let me play high school sports for a year. Made between $5 and $7 per game in both sports. Good money back then for a kid. Draft beer was a quarter or less.:D

Whole different world back then. I was too stoopid to know what I didn't know.

just another ref Tue Oct 19, 2010 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 697052)
...... I'd just turned 16 at the end of October. Draft beer was a quarter or less.:D

They had fake ID's back in them days? :D

Judtech Tue Oct 19, 2010 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 697052)
The first varsity high school basketball game that I officiated was also the first organized basketball game that I officiated. December, 1859 and I'd just turned 16 at the end of October. Pre-season exhibition game. Also did varsity football that fall in 2 rural high school leagues at the age of 15. Was in high school but recovering from knee surgery and the doctors wouldn't let me play high school sports for a year. Made between $5 and $7 per game in both sports. Good money back then for a kid. Draft beer was a quarter or less.:D

Whole different world back then. I was too stoopid to know what I didn't know.

Fixed it for ya. I think they called the game Rounders back then!!!:D