The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA forms corporation for officials (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59275-ncaa-forms-corporation-officials.html)

RefAHallic Tue Oct 05, 2010 03:59pm

NCAA forms corporation for officials

Did anybody see this?

NCAA establishes two corporations for college basketball officials - ESPN

Bad Zebra Tue Oct 05, 2010 08:55pm

Strange article. What, exactly, is a LLC supposed to do to create uniformity between conferences? Are the officials going to be sub-contractors for the LLC instead of the conferences? I think there's much more to this story than what's in this article.

Raymond Tue Oct 05, 2010 09:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 695058)
Strange article. What, exactly, is a LLC supposed to do to create uniformity between conferences? Are the officials going to be sub-contractors for the LLC instead of the conferences? I think there's much more to this story than what's in this article.

Maybe they are creating an organization that conference supervisors will eventually have to answer to. I don't know, as you say, article is rather vague.

Raymond Wed Oct 06, 2010 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 695059)
Maybe they are creating an organization that conference supervisors will eventually have to answer to. I don't know, as you say, article is rather vague.

Found more in an article via the NCAA Central Hub. Guess my guess was right. :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by article from NCAA Central Hub
...The LLC approach streamlines the structure among conferences, their officiating coordinators and the officials themselves, most of whom operate as independent contractors. Officiating coordinators will be accountable to the LLC boards, which should unify evaluating processes and, ultimately, make the games be called more consistently across the country and throughout the year...

...Neither officiating LLC will delve into assigning officials. That will still remain under the realm of the conferences. But the goal is to establish a uniform evaluation process for officials...

Bad Zebra Wed Oct 06, 2010 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 695098)
Found more in an article via the NCAA Central Hub. Guess my guess was right. :cool:

If that's the case, it will be interesting to see which conferences dominate that board. Will the smaller conferences get a seat at that table or will it be dominated by the majors? It should be fun to watch the NCAA try to create this thing on the fly.

Personally, I don't think it will work. Just like everything else having to do with major NCAA sports, there's too many egos and too much money at stake to get everybody to agree to anything.

Another thought occurs to me...will we see this same template used for football? softball? baseball? Different LLC's for each sport? Male & female? Wonder who's law firm is getting the incorporating work.

Adam Wed Oct 06, 2010 03:54pm

As long as the LLC's bills are paid by the conferences; they will maintain the power.

BillyMac Wed Oct 06, 2010 06:24pm

I Know Who The Stooges Recommend ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 695218)
Wonder who's law firm is getting the incorporating work.

Five firms are competing: Dewey, Cheatem & Howe; Sue, Grabbitt & Runne; Skrewer, Widow & Children; Dewey, Scruem & Howe; and Ketchem, Cheatham & Howe.

sseltser Mon Oct 11, 2010 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by article from NCAA Central Hub
Officiating coordinators will be accountable to the LLC boards

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESPN
Neither group will assign officials. Conferences will still make those decisions.

How is this gonna work? Is the LLC going to have some kind of power to remove a coordinator?

amusedofficial Tue Oct 12, 2010 05:42am

NCAA lips are moving, it must by lying

There can be no doubt that the ultimate goal is to make the LLCs responsible for providing the officials for every NCAA contest in one or more divisions.

Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason to create a legal entity to oversee all of this; coordinating what coordinators do does not require a corporation with independent legal status.

The only reason to create a legal entity with independent legal status is to have the officials work for that entity.