The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Australian Rules Football--I know, I know, just read the article. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59016-australian-rules-football-i-know-i-know-just-read-article.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Sep 04, 2010 07:01pm

Australian Rules Football--I know, I know, just read the article.

Read this article:

Police, 16-year-old umpire attacked in on-field brawl - News - FOX Sports on MSN

MTD, Sr.

grunewar Sat Sep 04, 2010 07:21pm

Nice (sarc)

From the article,

"At the time the brawl broke out, police were actually being briefed in preparation for violence expected at the senior grand final, which was to be played later in the afternoon."

Expected?

Aside from how sad this is, one of my first thoughts was - a 16 yr old official doing a U17 game?

Mark Padgett Sat Sep 04, 2010 08:11pm

Despite this story, Aussie rules football is the coolest. :)

BTW - there's a link on that page to photos of what Fox Sports considers the worst sports mascots. They forgot the Cubs mascot - Richard Simmons. :p

grunewar Sun Sep 05, 2010 07:32am

Concur! Way cool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 691154)
Despite this story, Aussie rules football is the coolest. :)

As I recall, it was one of the first sporting events repetitively shown late at night on "that new all sports station" ESPN when it first started.

For those of you unfamiliar, check out this promo film:

YouTube - Aussie Rules Football Promo

Notice all the pads? Brutal!

You only really see an official once in the film - look for the guy with the hat under the goal post (at about the 39 second point) who comes out and points his fingers for a score. As memory serves me, the official used to be in a trench coat.

I add this for your viewing pleasure. My favorite was #4.....should we take a poll? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1nxxVe5pTs&feature=fvw

26 Year Gap Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:37am

Those signals for a good score were great. Not that I want them to change the 3 pt score signal to that in basketball.

BillyMac Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:43am

We Don't Need No Stinkin' Officials ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 691178)
Those signals for a good score were great.

Love the hat, the trenchcoat, and the "robot" like signals.

JugglingReferee Sat Sep 11, 2010 05:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 691169)
I add this for your viewing pleasure. My favorite was #4.....should we take a poll? ;) YouTube - Top 10 Aussie Beer Commercials

Your view of sexy is WHACKED! :eek:

Judtech Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:45am

Quote:

As I recall, it was one of the first sporting events repetitively shown late at night on "that new all sports station" ESPN when it first started.

So YOU were the other person watching those games!

BillyMac Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:49pm

Broadcast From Beautiful Bristol, Connecticut ...

Quote:

Let's not forget those unforgettable men's professional slow pitch softball games.

26 Year Gap Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:29am

Some may laugh, but I much rather would have Australian Rules Football than a bunch of jokers playing cards as a viewing choice.

Welpe Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 692070)
Some may laugh, but I much rather would have Australian Rules Football than a bunch of jokers playing cards as a viewing choice.

So you don't consider The World Series of Poker (it has "World Series" in the title!) to be part of the Wide World of Sports? ;)

26 Year Gap Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 692071)
So you don't consider The World Series of Poker (it has "World Series" in the title!) to be part of the Wide World of Sports? ;)

No, but I'd bet that Tim Donaghy does.:rolleyes:

grunewar Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:50am

Not a laughing matter....

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 692070)

I thought Australian Rules Football was great!! Similar to a good game of Rugby, I'd watch it if it was back on!

TACKLES, AND RUCKS, AND MAULS......oh my! :)

Welpe Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 692083)
I thought Australian Rules Football was great!! Similar to a good game of Rugby, I'd watch it if it was back on!

Theys till play matches. I watched one late night a month or so ago.

silverpie Wed Sep 22, 2010 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 692083)

Baltimore DC Eagles Footy You have a team in your vicinity...