The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 19, 2010, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

For FIBA officials (here we go again)

I'd like some input from FIBA officials regarding the new no charge semi-ciricle which FIBA is adopting this year. I just starting reading the 2010 FIBA rules and if I am understanding the new rule, it will be different than the NBA interpretation. In FIBA, there will be no charge called when a defensive player is inside the semi circle area. That means (I believe) that unlike the NBA, a defensive player could be standing on the semi circle line and a charge can be called. It is only when both his feet are completely inside the line that a block will be called. Please verify this or correct me if I'm wrong.

I was sorta hoping that I was wrong because it means that the NBA and FIBA versions will be different and it will lead to confusion. It would not be the first time. In 2008, when FIBA adopted the clear path rule, they never bothered to specify when the clear path foul ceases. So we had officials who thought that if you stole the ball in the open floor and you were fouled going up for a lay up on the other end, that it was still a clear path foul. In our province, that interpretation was only clarified after the season began (not good).

I also noticed that many rules have been changed that were not announced as rule changes by FIBA.
Old Thu Aug 19, 2010, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Not a FIBA official, but I've seen the diagrams and interpretation for the no charge semi circle, and it appears the player must be completely within the circle. Not sure if that will be easier or harder for officials to determine rather than just seeing if any part is in the semi circle. You can guarantee that announcers and fans will be beyond belief when a charge is called whenever a player is standing on the line.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

You should be able to download from Fiba the 2010 Rule Interpretations. Article 33 deals with the rule which includes examples + their interpretations.
cheers- Nick
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 08:17am
MABO Member

Jay I noticed that the rule changes are only in effect in 2010 for Level 1 competitions (Olympics, World Championships, Zone/Continental Championships).

All other levels will come into effect in October 2012.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Sun Aug 22, 2010, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

In Ontario no one seems to be sure as to when the new rules come into effect.I've heard 2010. I have also heard 2012. I can tell you that a bunch of facilities spent a boat load repainting their floors a few years ago when Basketball Ontario made the choice to go to FIBA rules.

I can only imagine what some floors will look like at community colleges etc if they paint the new lines on and have three different 3 point lines for FED, NCAA and FIBA.
Old Sun Aug 22, 2010, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

Also, I believe the OP is correct. Both feet must be completely inside the circle.

Sec. 33.10 goes into great detail complete with diagrams.

http://www.fiba.com/asp_scripts/down...sp?fileID=1259
Old Sun Aug 22, 2010, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Was told that this change would not come to the local level until at least 2012
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to irp
I hear that the rules come into effect for Tier 1 from 2010 and for others from 2012.

In part this is because all the courts need to remarked to take account of the changes in court layout (Square key and moving the 3pt line amongst others) and it takes time to get this stuff done.

My understanding is that the no charge applies when both feet are within (not touching) the semi-circle, other than that it is fair game for a call...
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the replies folks. We won't be worrying about the semi circle for two years.

One new rule that will probably cause some problems this year is the adoption of putting 14 seconds on the shot clock on non-shooting fouls similar to the NBA rule. I can see the "teenage" shot clock operators resetting to 24 as soon as a foul is called. That will take some time to adjust.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

And speaking of FIBA, I am getting a nice re education of FIBA officiating by watching the USA 'friendlies". From past experience, it is good to see that the pros are as befuddled by the 'tight' travel calls when starting a dribble and the 'loose' travel calls when ending the travel and./or shooting as someone I know!
I must say it is a different game and I do enjoy watching it a whole lot more than the NBA/E
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
And speaking of FIBA, I am getting a nice re education of FIBA officiating by watching the USA 'friendlies". From past experience, it is good to see that the pros are as befuddled by the 'tight' travel calls when starting a dribble and the 'loose' travel calls when ending the travel and./or shooting as someone I know!
I must say it is a different game and I do enjoy watching it a whole lot more than the NBA/E
I'd say the biggest change between the international game and the NBA game is the amount of contact that's allowed...especially on the perimeter. A lot more handchecking and body bumps from what I've seen.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 06:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
The 'tight' travel calls when starting a dribble and the 'loose' travel calls when ending the travel and/or shooting.
I noticed this when my daughter's AAU team played in Spain several years ago.

I actually thought that international travel rules were different than NFHS travel rules. That's how obviously "odd" the calls were.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 06:01pm.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 08:02am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Thanks for the replies folks. We won't be worrying about the semi circle for two years.

One new rule that will probably cause some problems this year is the adoption of putting 14 seconds on the shot clock on non-shooting fouls similar to the NBA rule. I can see the "teenage" shot clock operators resetting to 24 as soon as a foul is called. That will take some time to adjust.
Part of my pre-game with the table is to tell the shot clock operator to wait until the refs have a chance to see what's left on the shot clock before they reset it. A good rule of thumb is 3 seconds or more.

They understand after I've explained that if I was being evaluated, I must answer correctly if the evaluator asks me how many seconds remained on the shot clock after each game clock stoppage.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

As a FIBA official I can second most of the sentiments already expressed:

- There is more contact outside the key and on the ball/shooter that occurs without being deemed a foul.

- A lot of the footwork issues we get into issues aren't (imo) "tight take off,loose ending" it has a lot to do with when we clearly judge a dribble has stopped or started. At our officials meeting we are told not assume a player has ended their dribble until we clearly see the ball stalled with a hand breaking the plane or we see both hands on the ball. Conversely we are not to assume the ball has to come out until we see it come free on the take off. A lot of the moves we see coaches training kids are these "pro-hop" types of moves where they are jumping to split defenders but leaving the floor before the ball is gathered. Then trying to land two feet at the same time to allow either pivot foot.

- There is often so much going on with contact and footwork I see a lot of refs when in doubt play on. I guess how often your in doubt plays a big factor!

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

To generalize, I think alot of it has to do with growing up with a soccer mentality. "Play On" and the type of bumping that goes on with the dribbler was one of the most difficult things to adjust too. However, 'back in the day' the US game was more physical. But internationally, they seemed to try to bump you off the ball but on the other hand there was not much in regards to post defense. Now adays you are seeing more international players 'lock down' into a nice little post battle. There are not many but way more then before.
As I said, it is a different take on the same game and I really enjoy it. One last thing on the soccer reference, I love the way I feel as a spectator wondering what/if the official is going to call something, just like the world cup games. I think it adds a different spice to the games. (Yes, I did watch the World Cup and DID enjoy it)