The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 27, 2010, 02:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
I'd agree with you except that your assignor will side with the coach and throw you under the bus if you do make that call, even when the video confirms it. Don't ask me how I know.
I'm an assignor. I wouldn't still be an assignor if I treated my people like that. They'd either get rid of me, go to work with someone else or say t'hell with this crap. Part of our job is to always back our officials up when they make a correct call. If you don't, you will lose good people.

If you had an assignor do that to you, then your local politics need some drastic changes. Assignors should never lie or try to con coaches or league convenvors, but they sureashell also should tell them what the facts are...whether they like it or not.

In my experience, very few if any assignors will throw any official under a bus for making a correct call like that. Not if they want to keep that official. That's not to say that it wouldn't happen in a few cases though, because I know for sure that it has. It happened to an excellent(but short) college official from the Left Coast that I know.
Old Sun Jun 27, 2010, 03:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
I'd agree with you except that your assignor will side with the coach and throw you under the bus if you do make that call, even when the video confirms it. Don't ask me how I know.
Maybe your assigner, but none that I've ever had. And if I ever had an assigner pull that, I'd turn into a major PITA at the next meeting; rule in hand asking for clarification on what other rules we are to ignore.