The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   camp do's & dont's (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58451-camp-dos-donts.html)

bknp7 Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:35pm

camp do's & dont's

Plan on attending a couple of camps in the upcoming weeks>What is the biggest piece of advice anyone can give maybe what there mainly looking for and what is an automatic no-no.Any info would be appreciated.

bradfordwilkins Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:37pm

The most important no-no --

Do not EVER EVER reply "yea, but..." or any variation thereof. No matter if you disagree who have been told the complete opposite, say thank you and incorporate it into that camp -- and take it with you if you think its useful or leave it at camp if its not.

bknp7 Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:52pm

Thanx im always willing to listen and very respectful thought I was going to a camp where there may be on court traing.My mentor told me about the camp and told told me I should attend.(said i was ready)Couple of guys said it would be helpful,turns out its more of a showcase camp and I'm a little nervous.Just trying to get some info from guys that may have attended some of these camps.

JRutledge Mon Jun 21, 2010 04:43am

Some of this depends on the type of camp you are attending, but this is really what works no matter what. If this is a college camp where they are hiring people for a league this works well too. A teaching camp might be a little more laid back, but at those types of camps people can and will recommend people to others that actually give games. So it is best to do some of these things and more if need be.
  1. Hustle
    You cannot defend not hustling. You will get credit for doing this even if you do not know what you are completely doing. It shows character and shows you take what you are doing seriously.
  2. Always listen to clinicians
    Do this when you are working and when you are not working. It is always a good idea if there is a court where you will work to watch a game or two before. Then you can learn what they want you to do and you follow it completely. And if you see a clinician(s) talking to guys that just worked, go to that conversation.
  3. Do not hold auxiliary conversations when clinicians are talking
    You do not want to be talking to other officials at least right in the court area. It just looks bad as there is always a "know it all" that is trying to tell people what to do and have no idea what is expected.
  4. Clinicians do not care what else you have been told before.
    This drives guys crazy. They do not care what other camps you have been to or what those have told you before. Just do what is asked at the camp. You will not always agree, but never tell them..."Jeff Rutledge told me....." because they will ask who that is or may not respect that person. Even if it is someone that is big time they still may not care who that person is. Just do what they are teaching and then do what works when you leave.
  5. Pick up pennies.
    This is probably the biggest. You will not agree with everything people tell you. You might even be told mechanics that do not apply to the level you work. Deal with it. Many times clinicians are telling you things that work for them. It may not work for you and that is OK. You do not need to have a debate with them about it. Just listen and pick up little things. If you can pick up a little thing from each clinician than you have got your monies worth. You do not need to completely take on everything you are told.

Peace

stripes Mon Jun 21, 2010 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 682637)
Some of this depends on the type of camp you are attending, but this is really what works no matter what. If this is a college camp where they are hiring people for a league this works well too. A teaching camp might be a little more laid back, but at those types of camps people can and will recommend people to others that actually give games. So it is best to do some of these things and more if need be.
  1. Hustle
    You cannot defend not hustling. You will get credit for doing this even if you do not know what you are completely doing. It shows character and shows you take what you are doing seriously.
  2. Always listen to clinicians
    Do this when you are working and when you are not working. It is always a good idea if there is a court where you will work to watch a game or two before. Then you can learn what they want you to do and you follow it completely. And if you see a clinician(s) talking to guys that just worked, go to that conversation.
  3. Do not hold auxiliary conversations when clinicians are talking
    You do not want to be talking to other officials at least right in the court area. It just looks bad as there is always a "know it all" that is trying to tell people what to do and have no idea what is expected.
  4. Clinicians do not care what else you have been told before.
    This drives guys crazy. They do not care what other camps you have been to or what those have told you before. Just do what is asked at the camp. You will not always agree, but never tell them..."Jeff Rutledge told me....." because they will ask who that is or may not respect that person. Even if it is someone that is big time they still may not care who that person is. Just do what they are teaching and then do what works when you leave.
  5. Pick up pennies.
    This is probably the biggest. You will not agree with everything people tell you. You might even be told mechanics that do not apply to the level you work. Deal with it. Many times clinicians are telling you things that work for them. It may not work for you and that is OK. You do not need to have a debate with them about it. Just listen and pick up little things. If you can pick up a little thing from each clinician than you have got your monies worth. You do not need to completely take on everything you are told.

Peace

This is GREAT advice. Also, try out the advice you are given. Like Jeff said, not all of it will work for you, but wou will never know unless you try it out.

piaa_ump Mon Jun 21, 2010 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 682637)
leave. [*]Pick up pennies.
This is probably the biggest. You will not agree with everything people tell you. You might even be told mechanics that do not apply to the level you work. Deal with it. Many times clinicians are telling you things that work for them. It may not work for you and that is OK. You do not need to have a debate with them about it. Just listen and pick up little things. If you can pick up a little thing from each clinician than you have got your monies worth. You do not need to completely take on everything you are told. [/LIST]
Peace

Not a basketball guy, but this is darn good advice for all sports clinics/camps.....I go to more than my share of baseball clinics, looking for that "Nugget"..........or penny as you put it....If I come away with one item that makes me better it was all worth it....

Judtech Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:18am

As much as some of these camps cost there should be something bigger than 'penny's':D

BillyMac Mon Jun 21, 2010 03:58pm

Like This ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 682660)
As much as some of these camps cost there should be something bigger than 'penny's'

http://thm-a04.yimg.com/nimage/6ba955936d1f03d0

http://thm-a03.yimg.com/nimage/b43615f14cc3bd1a

JRutledge Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by piaa_ump (Post 682653)
Not a basketball guy, but this is darn good advice for all sports clinics/camps.....I go to more than my share of baseball clinics, looking for that "Nugget"..........or penny as you put it....If I come away with one item that makes me better it was all worth it....

For the record I got this little "nugget" from someone else. I was at a conference where someone associated with ABA told this little story about picking up pennies. I have used it every since and it works. Basically if all you do is pick up one penny from someone you are better off than you were before. You do not have to accept everything someone tells you. I have looked at camps and life through this lens and it works for me.

Peace

DLH17 Tue Jun 22, 2010 08:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 682760)
For the record I got this little "nugget" from someone else. I was at a conference where someone associated with ABA told this little story about picking up pennies. I have used it every since and it works. Basically if all you do is pick up one penny from someone you are better off than you were before. You do not have to accept everything someone tells you. I have looked at camps and life through this lens and it works for me.

Peace

Now, if evaluators would just start acting like they are handing out pennies instead of 20 dollar bills. :D

Indianaref Tue Jun 22, 2010 08:17am

Larks posted this a few years back:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larks (Post 512008)
1. No Hands on Hips EVER inside the lines
2. Don't dribble the ball on the court during a dead ball. You are not a player
3. When reporting fouls - use the correct signal. If he pushed, its a push. If we held, its a hold. etc.
4. Don't Chew Gum
5. When a time out is called, your feet do not move to go to your designated spot until both teams are in their respective huddle. Watch the teams
6. Trail to Lead - look back, don't just run down to trail with your back to the players.
7. If T is beat, C pick up and ref to baseline until Trail can get there.
8. T stay behind the ball in the back court
9. Lead referees 99% of the post on strong side
10. Block / Charge in the post - Fist only, yield to primary (pregame this play)
11. Call in your primary
12. Loose ball on the floor turns into scrum - TWO noses 5" from the ball
13. Technical Fouls - KNOW THE RULES
14. Intentional / Hard Fouls do not need a huddle. It is or its not immediately.
15. Talk to Coaches - he who handles coaches moves career forward.
16. No Bad Tosses - U1 blow it back.
17. When you kick a call, and we all do, your next two whistles should be 110% calls. This will get you back in the groove
18. Don't have to get the game back under control.
19. Huddles - at 1st Media and then end of game.
20. A block is a block. A charge is a charge an if there is ANY question what it is, its a CHARGE
21. When reporting fouls, do so from a spot on the floor where no player can pass between you and the table
22. On Subs, do not put ball in play until the old player is in the coaches box.
23. Be on floor at 30. Check out the court. Find things that will get you in trouble later so you are not surprised. IOW, dont just stand there.

Some other items I picked up

If you want to be one of the 96 - you better be in the correct free throw position on first of 2.

Camp: Issues present themselves - those who handle them, distinguish themselves.

Camp: Be Ready. There are no warm up games in camp when you are there trying to get hired. If you take the first game to "warm up" you will fall behind.

Camp: Looking for leaders. Not U2s

Camp: Deal with Coaches - control your game.

Camp: Get better game to game. It will be noticed.

Other tidbits I wrote down:

Look for opportunities to rotate.
Use your voice / Have a strong Voice
No out of primary calls unless they are must gets.

DLH17 Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:06am

Fantastic input. Thanks, All.

Back In The Saddle Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlh17 (Post 682793)
now, if evaluators would just start acting like they are handing out pennies instead of 20 dollar bills. :d

rofl!

bradfordwilkins Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:22pm

Another thing -- and this is for NEXT YEAR --

Take notes and write them down -- revisit them during the year...

but more importantly, revisit them before you go to the same camp NEXT YEAR. The clinicians, if they are good, will remember where you were and needed to work on last year and will notice if you've spent the year working on them.

dbking Tue Jun 22, 2010 01:28pm

Here are my $.02

1. Referee your primary, when ball is not in primary, do not ball watch. Find the match ups in your area and commit to them 100% of the time.
2. Trust your partners, if they pass on a call that you think that you see, pass on it too. If you are going to go fishing outside of your primary, make sure it is a non basketball play of something that the primary official may not have a look at.
3. Step down on every shot from C and T.
4. All rebounding fouls should come from C and T. Work very hard at not calling this foul from L.
5. Mirror signals, this is a hard one to do but if your partner calls a foul and it is close to your primary just put a fist in the air and no whistle. This helps to sell the call to coaches and players.
6. Talk to players and coaches, help them to not call game interupters.
7. Have a patient whistle. If the ball goes in the hole and players played through the contact, play on.
8. Hustle
9. Be in position, move with a purpose to see between players in your primary.
10. Listen

Smitty Tue Jun 22, 2010 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbking (Post 682851)
5. Mirror signals, this is a hard one to do but if your partner calls a foul and it is close to your primary just put a fist in the air and no whistle. This helps to sell the call to coaches and players.

Huh? :confused:

Adam Tue Jun 22, 2010 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty (Post 682855)
huh? :confused:

+1

Jurassic Referee Tue Jun 22, 2010 02:25pm

Quote:

Here are my $.02

1) Mirror signals, this is a hard one to do but if your partner calls a foul and it is close to your primary just put a fist in the air and no whistle. This helps to sell the call to coaches and players.

2) Talk to players and coaches, help them to not call game interupters.

3) Have a patient whistle. If the ball goes in the hole and players played through the contact, play on.

And here's my questions:

1) Why should you try to sell the call when you didn't make it? Shouldn't the call sell itself?

2) I have no idea what you're talking about about. What is the "game interrupter" thingy that you're referring to?

3) Isn't all contact either illegal or incidental? How can "playing through ther contact" change illegal contact to incidental contact? Why should players have to play through anything that might slow them down, push 'em off-line, etc.?

CLH Tue Jun 22, 2010 03:36pm

Quote:

Here are my $.02

7. Have a patient whistle. If the ball goes in the hole and players played through the contact, play on.

5. NO! NO! NO! Absolutely do not do this. What are you going to do when you partner didn't really believe what he saw and passes it off to you? In a split second he's taken his eyes off the play, he's lost the number, you never had a number. There are a hundred things that could go wrong with this. Horrible advice db...Everyone please disregard this, it is not a good idea.

6. I have no idea what you're talking about

7. More bad advice, illegal contact must be penalized regardless of the outcome. If the contact is marginal, great play on. Waiting for the ball the go in basket is gutless officiating and is going to lead to problems and the death of you officiating aspirations.

I would usually apologize for sounding so rude, but this is just really bad advice and should be disregarded so I won't.

Adam Tue Jun 22, 2010 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLH (Post 682880)
7. More bad advice, illegal contact must be penalized regardless of the outcome. If the contact is <strike>marginal</strike> incidental, great play on. Waiting for the ball the go in basket is gutless officiating and is going to lead to problems and the death of you officiating aspirations.

Now I can agree with this. Sometimes, whether the contact is incidental or illegal requires us to wait for the outcome. By all means, have a patient whistle. That said, I do not wait to see if a basket is made. I see whether, and by how much, the shot is affected by the contact. If there's no significant negative impact on the shot, it's likely incidental. If there is, then foul.

Judtech Tue Jun 22, 2010 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 682882)
Now I can agree with this. Sometimes, whether the contact is incidental or illegal requires us to wait for the outcome. By all means, have a patient whistle. That said, I do not wait to see if a basket is made. I see whether, and by how much, the shot is affected by the contact. If there's no significant negative impact on the shot, it's likely incidental. If there is, then foul.

Don't take this the wrong way, but that may be the smartest thing I have ever seen posted!!!!
It explains in a subtle way what could be called a "gamus interruptus" and pulls together nicely, 'marginal' into incidental contact. To some people these are the same thing, but this helps put everyone on the same page
< sniff sniff > I told myself I wouldn't cry < sniff sniff>;)

Tio Tue Jun 22, 2010 05:24pm

Have a good time. Be yourself. Go with an open mind to learn and the mindset that you will be a better ref when you leave.

bknp7 Tue Jun 22, 2010 09:24pm

Thanks guys i guess all i can do is do my thing not try anything different listen to the staff and see were I stack up and what I need to work on.Thanks for the advice guys.

Jburt Wed Jun 23, 2010 07:57am

lets not make it more then it is...

Have fun, hustle, referee the best you can, listen, learn,meet new people, make some new officiating friends, improve, HAVE FUN.

tref Wed Jun 23, 2010 09:15am

Great info here! I just have a couple other things that you can try or toss:

Someone mentioned "puposeful movement" but I recently learned that "confident purposeful movement" is a very promoting factor when others are looking at you.

Act as if you belong there.

If the clinician has something for you at a t/o or halftime, try to make the adjustments immediately.
Clinicians/Supervisors are looking at: 1. Are you coachable? 2. How soon can you adapt?

Double down in the paint.

What you do AFTER you blow the whistle is so important. Be strong at the table. When reporting the players numbers "slap the window" dont "break the window."

Be a good partner. ie: "good get, Bob" "I have your shooter, Mary."
Non calling official get em lined up or set up OOB for the throw-in.

Commuicate, communicate, communicate!!

Scrapper1 Fri Jun 25, 2010 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 682760)
For the record I got this little "nugget" from someone else. I was at a conference where someone associated with ABA told this little story about picking up pennies. I have used it every since and it works.

Pretty sure I've heard this person speak as well. Are the initials "T.C.", by any chance?

BillyMac Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:23pm

Allan Sherman Gives Some Great Camp Advice ...

YouTube - Allan Sherman - Hello Muddah Hello Faddah (1963)

BillyMac Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:35pm

You Mean This Guy ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 683384)
Are the initials "T.C.", by any chance?

http://thm-a01.yimg.com/nimage/a4f24bff57f92180