The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

OT: Taking sports too seriously

Another one for JR to file in his "You can't make this s*#& up" folder.

June 17, 2010
S. African killed by wife, kids in TV spat

Associated Press

JOHANNESBURG -- Police say a South African man who wanted to watch a World Cup match instead of a religious program was beaten to death by his family in the northeastern part of the country.
David Makoeya, a 61-year-old man from the small village of Makweya, Limpopo province, fought with his wife and two children for the remote control on Sunday because he wanted to watch Germany play Australia in the World Cup. The others, however, wanted to watch a gospel show.
"He said, 'No, I want to watch soccer,'" police spokesman Mothemane Malefo said Thursday. "That is when the argument came about.
"In that argument, they started assaulting him."
Malefo said Makoeya got up to change the channel by hand after being refused the remote control and was attacked by his 68-year-old wife Francina and two children, 36-year-old son Collin and 23-year-old daughter Lebogang.
Malefo said he was not sure what the family used to kill Makoeya.
"It appears they banged his head against the wall," Malefo said. "They phoned the police only after he was badly injured, but by the time the police arrived the man was already dead."
All three were arrested Sunday night, but Lebogang was released on $200 bail Tuesday, Malefo said. The other two are still being held in custody.
Malefo said the mother and son will reappear in the local Seshego Magistrates Court on July 27.
"He was always a happy man, never violent," Makoeya's nieces, Miriam and Anna, told the Daily Sun newspaper. "On Saturday, we saw him the last time at a funeral."
The World Cup, being played in Africa for the first time, started Friday and runs through July 11.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
Old Fri Jun 18, 2010, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

As if we needed another reason not to watch futbol.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2010, 06:59am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
All in the family?

While this story happened under very unusual circumstances, a Google Search shows unfortunately as we know, fans are more the problem. Sad:

Angry soccer fans kill goaltender. | SportsFilter
Jan 18, 2010 ... A teenage goalkeeper for Benin's national youth soccer team was killed by angry fans after a loss to Nigeria in a weekend match, ...

Iraqi Soccer Player Killed By Fan During Game-Tying Shot
Mar 16, 2009 ... BAGHDAD — Police say an Iraqi soccer player has been shot dead just as he was about to kick what could have been the tying goal in a weekend ...

Iraqi Goalie Killed in Victory Shooting - NYTimes.comMar 16, 2009 ... BAGHDAD — Victory celebrations at a soccer match in Iraq ended abruptly when a fan accidentally shot the winning goalie to death, ...

Colombian Soccer Player Kills Fan For Calling Him "Lousy"
Jul 5, 2009 ... A Colombian soccer player shot and killed a fan for calling him "lousy" on Sunday, days after the player's team lost a local championship, ...

Iraqi fan shoots soccer player dead
Jun 14, 2010 ... An Iraqi fan has shot dead a soccer player of the opposing team as he ... Iraqi footballer Heidar Kazem was shot in the head and killed by a fan...

Suspect arrested in Mexico in soccer killing - World Soccer ...
Jun 15, 2010 ... He is the third soccer player to be shot in the Mexican capital this year. ... death of a soccer player who was killed in an apparent robbery attempt ... Compete against soccer fans worldwide. Sign up for fantasy World

Soccer Player Salvador Cabanas Shot in Head in Mexican Bar ...Jan 25, 2010 ... Paraguayan soccer standout Salvador Cabanas is in serious condition ... Its upsetting because they dont think about his family or fans. ...

Unfortunately there were many, many more pages......
Old Fri Jun 18, 2010, 07:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

June 17, 2010

Associated Press

JOHANNESBURG -- Police say a South African man who wanted to watch a World Cup match instead of a religious program was beaten to death by his family in the northeastern part of the country.
David Makoeya, a 61-year-old man from the small village of Makweya, Limpopo province, fought with his wife and two children for the remote control on Sunday because he wanted to watch Germany play Australia in the World Cup. The others, however, wanted to watch a gospel show.
"He said, 'No, I want to watch soccer,'" police spokesman Mothemane Malefo said Thursday. "That is when the argument came about.
Malefo said Makoeya got up to change the channel by hand after being refused the remote control and was attacked by his 68-year-old wife Francina and two children, 36-year-old son Collin and 23-year-old daughter Lebogang.
"It appears they banged his head against the wall," Malefo said. "They phoned the police only after he was badly injured, but by the time the police arrived the man was already dead."
All three were arrested Sunday night, but Lebogang was released on $200 bail Tuesday, Malefo said. The other two are still being held in custody.
Malefo said the mother and son will reappear in the local Seshego Magistrates Court on July 27.
"He was always a happy man, never violent," Makoeya's nieces, Miriam and Anna, told the Daily Sun newspaper. "On Saturday, we saw him the last time at a funeral."
The World Cup, being played in Africa for the first time, started Friday and runs through July 11.

Looks more like the family took their religion too seriously; or not seriously enough, depending on how you look at it.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2010, 06:39am
In Memoriam

And also into the ol' folder goes this l'il gem.....

The Pittsburgh Pirates fired their racing pierogi for making critical remarks about their team management.

Pirates fire racing pierogi mascot for Facebook criticism - USATODAY.com

Oh, the humanity, the humanity........

Not to worry though. He's already been offered a job by a minor league team as a racing hot dog.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2010, 06:16pm
9/11 - Never Forget

OT - for the OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
The Pittsburgh Pirates fired their racing pierogi for making critical remarks about their team management.
The Washington Nationals version of the races is the "Running of the Presidents" - Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington and Teddy Roosevelt. In "all the yrs" the Nats have been in DC, Teddy has never, ever run a race.

At Starsburg's first game against Pittsburgh, the Pierogi's joined the President's in the race between innings. As it came down to the end of the race one of the Pierogi's tackled another using a flying, shoulder to the gut tackle that would have made Lawrence Taylor proud (LT the football player, not the druggie). Great fun.

PS - many of us believe Teddy will win a race either the day the Nats wrap up a playoff spot or host their first playoff game......whenever that is. Run Teddy, run!
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

If I were the defense attorney I would have my client plead Innocent by reason of insanity brought on by vuvuzelas! My client wouldn't even see the courtroom!
Violence and sport will always be intertwined, you can only hope to keep it under control. And if you actually have watched the World Cup games you will see several commercials for Sportsmanship (which are much better than the NCAA's) and severl displays of GOOD sportsmanship. Unfortunately, it is better to show the "flops" and Red Card fouls.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2010, 06:19am
9/11 - Never Forget

Update!

Quote:
And also into the ol' folder goes this l'il gem.....

Pirates fire racing pierogi mascot for Facebook criticism - USATODAY.com

Oh, the humanity, the humanity........

Not to worry though. He's already been offered a job by a minor league team as a racing hot dog.
Juarassic - you'll probably sleep better tonight!

Pirates put pierogi back in the race
Old Thu Jun 24, 2010, 07:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Juarassic - you'll probably sleep better tonight!
Whew, it was like a death in my family.

Hell, the only reason to watch the Pirates is the Pierogi race.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2010, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hell, the only reason to watch the Pirates is the Pierogi race.
My in-laws are Pirates fans. We have a pool on the next player to be traded. My money is on Lastings Milledge.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2010, 08:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
My in-laws are Pirates fans. We have a pool on the next player to be traded. My money is on Lastings Milledge.
Milledge could one day threaten Milton Bradley's record for times traded...or wearing out his welcome
Old Thu Jun 24, 2010, 08:46am
9/11 - Never Forget

Milledge Has a Long Way to Go.....

Quote:
Milledge could one day threaten Milton Bradley's record for times traded...or wearing out his welcome
Bradley does have a few yrs on him......

Milledge = NYM, Wash, Pitt

Bradley = Mon, Cle, LAD, Oak, SDP, Tex, CHC, SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
From Cool Hand Luke - Prisoner: "Hey, Babalugats. We got a bet here."
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

June 17, 2010

Associated Press

I know it's a hopeless battle, but I must nevertheless request that you respect fair-use doctrines and not copy-and-paste entire works to this or any other forum.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 04:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbduke View Post
I know it's a hopeless battle, but I must nevertheless request that you respect fair-use doctrines and not copy-and-paste entire works to this or any other forum.
Or what?

You'll sic your beloved Coach K on him?

If there was a problem, the mods would have taken care of it.

Don't take yourself too seriously, Dookie. We don't.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Or what?

You'll sic your beloved Coach K on him?

If there was a problem, the mods would have taken care of it.

Don't take yourself too seriously, Dookie. We don't.
What I take seriously is that when you do what the OP did, you're stealing. I'm guessing that IP has never constituted a significant source of income for you. If it had, methinks you'd take this issue a little more seriously.

Nice to see that your commitment to enforcing rules is unwavering. And as for the mods, the fact that they have failed to address this issue after repeated requests to do so doesn't make their lax attitude about it acceptable.

You don't see what's so damn hard about using clear, concise officiating terminology (I don't either). And I don't see what's so damn hard about posting a link so that the people that are paying for a writer's work can get their deserved clicks. This forum didn't pay anything for that story or any other, so the owners here shouldn't get to have eyeballs on this URL while people read others' copyrighted work. It's not hard.