The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pre-season workout advice (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58388-pre-season-workout-advice.html)

lrichels Sat Jun 12, 2010 05:49pm

Pre-season workout advice

I am 61 years old and attempted to get back into officiating Bloomington Athletic Assoc games (6-10 grades) last winter--5-6 games a week (sometimes 3 games a night). I found out that my elliptical trainer workouts did not prepare me for the running, turning and stops and starts of officiating. Thus after one month I had to quit due to muscle issues throughout my legs.
Can anyone give me some advice on a workout regimen to prepare for another attempt at officiating this fall and winter?

Larry

Mark Padgett Sat Jun 12, 2010 06:55pm

Try this person's tape - or not.

http://coachjcblog.com/wp-content/up...rd-simmons.jpg

bradfordwilkins Sat Jun 12, 2010 09:24pm

I go here Acceleration Program - Videos - Chelsea Piers Bluestreak - New York City - NYC - 10011 2-3 times a week during the offseason and it really is a perfect preparation for officiating.

grunewar Sun Jun 13, 2010 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins (Post 681684)
I go here Acceleration Program - Videos - Chelsea Piers Bluestreak - New York City - NYC - 10011 2-3 times a week during the offseason and it really is a perfect preparation for officiating.

I got tired and sore just "watching" that basketball training. Wow! :eek: I'm going to take a nap.

Mark Padgett Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 681707)
I got tired and sore just "watching" that basketball training. Wow! :eek: I'm going to take a nap.

Just make sure that the guy shown in my post isn't around when you do it. :D

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :rolleyes:

grunewar Sun Jun 13, 2010 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 681721)
Just make sure that the guy shown in my post isn't around when you do it. :D

You just keep your posts to yourself Padgett! :D

26 Year Gap Sun Jun 13, 2010 04:05pm

get a training partner

http://foolery.typepad.com/photos/un...2/04/advil.jpg

grunewar Mon Jun 14, 2010 05:48am

OK, Seriously

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrichels (Post 681664)
I am 61 years old and attempted to get back into officiating Bloomington Athletic Assoc games (6-10 grades) last winter--5-6 games a week (sometimes 3 games a night). I found out that my elliptical trainer workouts did not prepare me for the running, turning and stops and starts of officiating. Thus after one month I had to quit due to muscle issues throughout my legs.

Can anyone give me some advice on a workout regimen to prepare for another attempt at officiating this fall and winter?

Larry

No one size fits all. You must do what you feel is right for your body and lifestyle.

Some people like distance running to keep up their cardio. Others might like to bike or swim (keep their cardio up and reduce wear and tear on the knees/feet). Some may have a regiment of stretching and sprinting during the offseason. Others may hit the weight room. Some may do a few hoops games all year round and have less trouble when games pick up again in full force in the fall. Some might do several of the above (cross training) to break up the monotony. Others might just take the summer off and worry about it when the season arrives again.

Me, I’m in the hybrid mode. In the summer I run, swim, lift some weights, and do a few AAU and summer league games when I can get them. I try to stay physically fit all year round so it’s not so stressful on the body come fall (although I still get a bit stiff/sore every year the first time I do 4 or 5 games in a day).

Do what’s right for you to keep yourself in "basketball shape." Good luck and hope you have a good year!

PS - Oh yeah, and what Gapper said is good advice too! ;)

Judtech Mon Jun 14, 2010 09:32am

As goofy and crazy as it sounds I am a big fan of using the Wii FIT as a training tool. There are a couple of other type 'games' as well that I have. Since you already use an elliptical which is great for cardio, the Wii helps with flexibility, strength and coordination. I have used it the past two knee surgeries and after my back surgery. It is suprising how much of a work out you can get with them. It really is a great supplemental training tool. The PT I go to is setting up about 4 of them to use with some of his patients.
I know it doesn't sound "macho" and all, but it IS effective.

bainsey Mon Jun 14, 2010 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 681817)
As goofy and crazy as it sounds I am a big fan of using the Wii FIT as a training tool.

I started using WiiFit some time ago, but now, I've been using it mostly as a scale and weight tracking device, while doing my actual exercise elsewhere. Which exercises do you find are best, Jud?

Back In The Saddle Sun Jun 20, 2010 03:49pm

Just my personal experience (I'm not a doctor, nurse, trainer, or even very bright)...

The elliptical is a good tool for maintaining cardiovascular fitness. But officiating requires than just cardio fitness. There is all the pounding our legs and joints take, and there is the stress on legs and joints from stops, starts, turns, etc. The elliptical won't train your body for those. Neither will swimming, or any other activity that doesn't work those muscles and joints in a manner similar to basketball.

I run to prepare for those stresses. So my advice, if you're physically okay to do so, take to the track, trail, or roads and add some real running into your workout. As with any fitness program, you need to ease into it. Your body needs time to adapt to the different physical stresses, as you found out. Take it pretty easy the first few times out; for most people, cardio fitness improves a lot faster than their muscles/joints adapt. Most running injuries are overuse injuries...especially in new, eager, motivated runners. So to reap the benefits in November, start slowly today and keep going consistently.

Check out the Runners World forums for lots of helpful advice about starting a program (couch 2 5K is a popular place to start), how often to run (forget what your HS coach said, running hard every day is not good), how quickly to add mileage (the general rule is no more than 10%/week), how to stay safe, how to stay motivated, and lots more.

Beyond that, as long as you don't have any actual injuries...Aleve/Advil/Tylenol is your friend. And the older you get, the better friends you're going to become. It sucks getting old. :)

Good luck!

grunewar Sun Jun 20, 2010 04:27pm

The Mind is Willing, But the Flesh is Weak.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 682605)
Aleve/Advil/Tylenol is your friend. And the older you get, the better friends you're going to become.It sucks getting old. :)

+1

Amen brother BITS.

Judtech Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:03am

One side bar if you are going to be using the Tylenal etc. Make sure you know which are pain killers and which are anti inflamatories. (NOT to be confused with supositories!) I actually find the anti inflam's work best. Either way these pills can wreak havoc on your stomach lining and cause ulcers or worse. I suggested that if you do take them (as I do) you supplement them with a PPI. You can get them over the counter, Prilosec Prevacid etc or prescription Nexium, Aciphex etc. (I prefer Nexium) These will help keep the acid/Ph level in your stomach more neutral thus helping prevent ulcers etc.
(No I am not a doctor but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express once!)

nevaeh.aaric Sat Jun 26, 2010 06:40am

The specific training. In the pre-season, it is important that you develop a good aerobic base for endurance, and maintain a lifting program for strength. You should not neglect these two aspects of training in the pre-season. Consider your pre-season to be a training phase that conditions your body for the intensity of a long season.

Texas Aggie Fri Jul 02, 2010 09:47pm

At 61, it will take you longer (obviously, given your injury issues), but if you are in otherwise good condition, you can do it. Here's a broad brush plan I'd advise if someone came to me:

-- 6 weeks of walking; start at at least 20 minutes per day (sounds like you might be able to do more) and work up to at least an hour; an hour and fifteen minutes is better. Around week 5, start to add brisk walking periods in there -- 1 minute brisk, 2 minutes regular, repeat. Do this 6 days a week minimum.

-- After 6 weeks, your legs should be more properly conditioned for more intense workouts. Warm up by walking for 20 minutes and then start a slow jog: first week, 30 second jog followed by 3:30 walk; repeat for at least 30 minutes, but continue to walk until no less than :45 minutes -- an hour is better. In other words, if you have to stop the interval jog, that's fine, but don't stop the workout.

-- Continue the :30 second interval jog until you've worked up to :45 minutes on the jog portion. At that point, start adding either :15 seconds or :30 seconds to the jog interval -- i.e. 45 second jog followed by a 3:15 minute walk; repeat until 45 minutes total. You will be doing the adding portion every week until you jog up to 2 minutes, then continue the progression with x minutes jogging, and 1 minute walking all the way to a full 15 minutes jog (i.e., 2 min jog/1 min walk; 3 min jog/1 min. walk; 4 min. jog/1 min walk, etc.)

When you can jog for 15 minutes straight -- and it may be sooner than I've laid out here, but don't rush the program too much -- you should be in sufficient condition to work basketball without much problem. Your body will now also be conditioned to take the wear and tear it couldn't take now.

This is a guideline, not a specific workout. You'll need to work something out that makes sense to you. But do not rush this or you will face injury issues again. Also, it may take you six months, but by basketball season, you should be able to do some games.

Oh, and the difference between you at 61 and those of us in our 40s: YOU can no longer take time off. Your workout program just became a year round one, except maybe for a few days every 3 months (i.e. 2 3 day instead of 6 day weeks)