The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Player/official interaction (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58354-player-official-interaction.html)

SWMOzebra Thu Jun 10, 2010 09:28am

Player/official interaction

A former WNBA player is holding a 4-day skills camp locally and asked me to come speak to her campers about player-official relations ... kind of give a referee's perspective to the young ladies.

Though I have a couple of ideas, I'm certainly open for input or suggestions. Other than "players play, coaches coach and officials officiate" what would you say on this subject to these players?

Thanks in advance!

Adam Thu Jun 10, 2010 09:34am

1. Reinforce that we don't give a crap who wins.
2. Maybe discuss the rules myths.

DLH17 Thu Jun 10, 2010 09:46am

you are not "properly and legally equipped" if you enter the game with metal hair thingies in your hairdo :)

MD Longhorn Thu Jun 10, 2010 09:57am

Here's the player-official interaction... keep your mouth shut.

;)

rockyroad Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 681227)
1. Reinforce that we don't give a crap who wins.
2. Maybe discuss the rules myths.

Definitely do the rules myths...then discuss with them how to talk to an official during the game.

bainsey Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:17am

ABC - Always Be Civil.

It's fine if you question something, just make sure you phrase it politely and succinctly.

And as Snaq mentioned, go over some myths. I'm sure you have a sufficient list. (We all do.)

Adam Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 681237)
Definitely do the rules myths...then discuss with them how to talk to an official during the game.

Agreed. Talk about the difference between whining and legitimate questions.
Unacceptable: "That was...."
Acceptable: "Why wasn't that...." or "What did she/I do?"
Also note the problem with asking to many acceptable questions.

Some of these girls are likely to coach in the future, so you're setting a good foundation, I think.

rockyroad Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:44am

We used to go to the local HS pre-season scrimmages and give little spiels about the new rules, etc...I would always do a little role-playing scenario. Used their team captains as the officials and I would be the player...showed them good ways to approach an official, and some not-so-good ways. Usually went over pretty well.

Pantherdreams Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:34am

1 - It might be valuable to them if you watched them play a little bit before you spoke. Then you could speak specifically about things you needed to be tightened up that would get called in a game.

2 - Walk them through what I call "road game" scenarios. Tweet I blow the whistle, I call a foul that the player doesn't feel they commited. Now what is the proper way to ask and what isn't? I respond (explain the response in various cases). After the explanation player disagrees not believing they actually did what you are calling/accusing them of? Now what is the proper way to respond and what isn't? I respond (explain the responses in various cases).

3 - If your brave you may want to explain (especially to the young women and any of their parents watching) that contact is not foul. Go over something that happen in a game that are likely play on situations and things that you would be calling fouls.

rockyroad Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 681277)
3 - If your brave you may want to explain (especially to the young women and any of their parents watching) that contact is not foul. Go over something that happen in a game that are likely play on situations and things that you would be calling fouls.

Hmmmm...I would be very careful with this. It's a perfect set-up for ourselves.

"Hey ref, you told us that would be a foul!"

"Huh?"

"You know, when you talked to us at that camp last summer."

I guarantee you that the players will remember stuff like that even if we don't.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jun 10, 2010 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 681250)
I would always do a little role-playing scenario.

I've heard that about you also.:eek:

How about a seminar on official-assignor relations? Got any input or suggestions on that?

Adam Thu Jun 10, 2010 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 681314)
I've heard that about you also.:eek:

How about a seminar on official-assignor relations? Got any input or suggestions on that?

Perhaps a break-away on conflict resolution?

Judtech Thu Jun 10, 2010 02:18pm

If you think an official is BAD, then don't make a play where you think the official has to make a GOOD call to help you out.
If you think it should have been a foul the first time, don't be suprised when it isn't a foul the second time. Then ask yourself why you tried the same thing a third time.
Be nice to us and we will be nice to you. Don't be afraid to hand us the ball when there is a TO or it is in your possesion and we have a whistle.
If you see your mom talking to an official who calls himself "Billy" tell her to runaway...very fast and not to give him her phone number:D

JRutledge Thu Jun 10, 2010 03:01pm

All you have to say to players and their families is that what they see on TV does not apply to them. Officials are adults, they are not. So if they think they can talk to us or complain anyway they want to, that is not going to go over well with all officials. You do not have to get into role playing or even give that many examples. And they need to know that when an official is talking to them, it is to their benefit to listen. The player’s role is to play the game, not tell an adult how to do their job. Just like we would be shocked if players were telling coaches who to play and what play to run without being given that authority.

Peace

BillyMac Thu Jun 10, 2010 05:38pm

No Need To Name Names ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 681342)
If you see your mom talking to an official who calls himself "Billy" tell her to runaway...very fast and not to give him her phone number.

Hey! Mind your own business.