The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Goatending? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58294-goatending.html)

vbzebra Thu Jun 03, 2010 01:00pm

Goatending?

Ok, may be a stupid question, but here goes :D

kid driving for layup, ball hits off backboard (layup style) still going up is NOT above the rim and is NOT in the imaginary cylinder, defender does his best LeBron "get-that-weak-mess-out-of-here" block of the ball after it hits the backboard (but again, with above parameters mentioned). NBA has it as goaltending. That we know..

My question is, is this goaltending in NFHS? I can't find anything in the books that says it is. The books only have to do with swatting the ball when it's on its DOWNWARD flight, or is IN the imaginary cylinder that has the ring as its lower base.

so WHY is this called goaltending in NFHS? Not trying to be a smartie, just honestly asking. And please, if you find something in the books to back up the fact that it WOULD be goaltending, please reference. Thanks :)

bob jenkins Thu Jun 03, 2010 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbzebra (Post 679981)
My question is, is this goaltending in NFHS?

Quote:

so WHY is this called goaltending in NFHS?
It isn't and it shouldn't

DLH17 Thu Jun 03, 2010 01:11pm

What do goats have to do with basketball? :p:)

vbzebra Thu Jun 03, 2010 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 679984)

i give up....what DO "goats" have to do with basketball? :D

DLH17 Thu Jun 03, 2010 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbzebra (Post 679987)
i give up....what DO "goats" have to do with basketball? :D

heck, i don't know. but that thread title made me wonder. :cool:

Mark Padgett Thu Jun 03, 2010 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 679984)

Especially a "goat ending". Ewwww! :eek: Although it does remind me of this one coach...er, never mind.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3022/...f8ce6f.jpg?v=0

MD Longhorn Thu Jun 03, 2010 01:32pm

Goat-tending needs two T's, and should be hyphenated.

vbzebra Thu Jun 03, 2010 01:53pm

just read my original thread title...oh lordy, is it Friday yet? :(

Jurassic Referee Thu Jun 03, 2010 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbzebra (Post 680000)

What does Friday have to do with goats? :confused:

DLH17 Thu Jun 03, 2010 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbzebra (Post 680000)

;):)

Judtech Thu Jun 03, 2010 05:40pm

Greatest
Of
All
Time
E
N
D
I
N
G

BillyMac Thu Jun 03, 2010 06:46pm

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket.

Nevadaref Thu Jun 03, 2010 07:12pm

The play described is not goaltending in either NFHS or NCAA games.

just another ref Thu Jun 03, 2010 07:43pm

Will there be a separate thread about goat beginning?

Jurassic Referee Fri Jun 04, 2010 05:05am

T.G.I.F.

Thank Goats It's Friday!

vbzebra Fri Jun 04, 2010 08:05am

well, at least I haven't heard "hey ref, you're officiating like "goats" out there!:eek:

BktBallRef Fri Jun 04, 2010 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbzebra (Post 679981)
Ok, may be a stupid question, but here goes :D

kid driving for layup, ball hits off backboard (layup style) still going up is NOT above the rim and is NOT in the imaginary cylinder, defender does his best LeBron "get-that-weak-mess-out-of-here" block of the ball after it hits the backboard (but again, with above parameters mentioned). NBA has it as goaltending. That we know..

Ah...no, we don't. What you describe is NOT goaltending in the NBA.

From the NBA Rule Book.

A player shall not:
During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched any part of the backboard above ring level, whether the ball is considered on its upward or downward flight.

This is the same as the NCAA rule.

hoopguy Fri Jun 04, 2010 09:02am

Anybody know when this rule was changed and why? I realize the backboard now does not make it goaltending but when I played(dating myself) it was goaltending and I am wondering when the change occurred and what the rational behind it was. Of course I did not read a rule book as a player so I could be wrong but I do not think so. Seems like it would be a lot easier for officials with the old 'once it touches the backboard' goatending vs the more decision making rule of today.

As a fan I think I like the old rule better. More of an advantage toward the smaller player. Once the player gets the ball on the backboard he knew it was safe from being blocked.

Amesman Fri Jun 04, 2010 09:29am

All this goat talk got me wondering: Why haven't we heard from Billy on this one yet? :D

Jurassic Referee Fri Jun 04, 2010 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoopguy (Post 680150)
Anybody know when this rule was changed and why? I realize the backboard now does not make it goaltending but when I played(dating myself) it was goaltending and I am wondering when the change occurred and what the rational behind it was. Of course I did not read a rule book as a player so I could be wrong but I do not think so. Seems like it would be a lot easier for officials with the old 'once it touches the backboard' goatending vs the more decision making rule of today.

As a fan I think I like the old rule better. More of an advantage toward the smaller player. Once the player gets the ball on the backboard he knew it was safe from being blocked.

Afaik, the rule has never changed in NFHS rules. It's been the same for the last 50 years anyway. Goaltending has always been defined as touching a shot that has a chance to go in on the way down. The FED issued periodic interpretations that noted that touching a shot after it hit the glass had to meet the exact same criteria defined in the GT rule. We had to judge whether the touch after the ball hit the glass was on the way up or on the way down, and then rule accordingly. Iow, it's always been a straight judgment call.

This is one rule that I can see the FED changing to the NCAA rule sometime in the future...to make our job easier and take out some of the judgment factor.

mbyron Fri Jun 04, 2010 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 680164)
The FED issued periodic interpretations that noted that touching a shot after it hit the glass had to meet the exact same criteria defined in the GT rule.

This is the bit that's different from NCAA (and NBE). The glass is irrelevant to the NFHS rule.

In the other codes, once the ball touches the glass above the rim, you can have GT even when the ball is still going up.

Jurassic Referee Fri Jun 04, 2010 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 680165)
This is the bit that's different from NCAA (and NBE). The glass is irrelevant to the NFHS rule.

And iirc the NCAA only changed their GT rule a couple of years ago to match the NBE. Before that it was the same as the the NFHS.

vbzebra Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 680142)

From the NBA Rule Book.

A player shall not:
During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched any part of the backboard above ring level, whether the ball is considered on its upward or downward flight.

my bad, good point about being ABOVE ring level...

bob jenkins Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:38am

Quote:

so I could be wrong

I vote for this explanation.

bob jenkins Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 679994)

Correct.

The OP meant Goa-tending, just (about) as he spelt.

Mark Padgett Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 680185)
The OP meant Goa-tending.....

Maybe he meant he wanted to know about going to Goa and tending bar?

http://www.amchegoa.com/images/map_of_goa.gif

BktBallRef Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:44am

Quote:

What old rule? It hasn't changed. Contacting the ball after it's hit the backboard has never been GT unless it was above the rim and on it's way down.

bainsey Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 680203)
Contacting the ball after it's hit the backboard has never been GT unless it was above the rim and on it's way down.

I believe the NCAA changed the rule recently. Now, if it hits the backboard, it doesn't matter whether it's going up or down. If it's above the rim, it's goaltending.

Adam Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 680205)
I believe the NCAA changed the rule recently. Now, if it hits the backboard, it doesn't matter whether it's going up or down. If it's above the rim, it's goaltending.

Close.
You might want to read his earlier post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 680142)

From the NBA Rule Book.

A player shall not:

SamIAm Fri Jun 04, 2010 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 679994)

Except when it is a proper name. In that case it is just fine.

Just ask Jonathan Goatending of Bridger, Montana.

vbzebra Fri Jun 04, 2010 02:42pm

Earl "The Goat" Manigold must be smiling :D

DLH17 Fri Jun 04, 2010 02:44pm

http://www.cubssuckclub.com/wp-conte...-goat-logo.jpg

M&M Guy Fri Jun 04, 2010 03:12pm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Head_Soup.jpg

(I'll bet BillyMac's head is spinning right now. It's probably like holding an AA meeting at the local tavern.)

Adam Fri Jun 04, 2010 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 680251)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Head_Soup.jpg

(I'll bet BillyMac's head is spinning right now. It's probably like holding an AA meeting at the local tavern.)

Billy "Goat" Mac fell of that wagon a long time ago.

BillyMac Fri Jun 04, 2010 04:49pm

Genesis 30:38-39

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 680083)
Will there be a separate thread about goat beginning?

"When the animals were in heat as they came to drink, the goats mated by the rods, and so they brought forth streaked, speckled and spotted kids."

Adam Fri Jun 04, 2010 05:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 680271)
"When the animals were in heat as they came to drink, the goats mated by the rods, and so they brought forth streaked, speckled and spotted kids."

You forgot the blue font.