The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Halftime score 36-3! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58189-halftime-score-36-3-a.html)

Mark Padgett Sun May 23, 2010 09:23pm

Halftime score 36-3!

Final day of spring league. I'm working an 8th grade boys game and there's a 7th grade boys game on the court adjacent to mine. We get to halftime just a few seconds before they do. I happen to look over at their scoreboard and it shows a score of 36-3. I ask one of the refs - a buddy of mine - if that's the "real" score or is it a mistake. He says it's the actual score, and the team with three scored all their points on free throws! He said the other team really wasn't pouring it on, either. They're setting up most of their shots, but sometimes they just can't help going on a breakaway. He said he felt bad it was such a beating, but that's just the way the game was going.

During breaks, I would look over and it was obvious the leading team was far superior. Their coach apparently told them to slow it down because they won "only" 59-14. These games were the last ones of the day for both of us and we walked out to the parking lot together. He told me the losing team hit a three pointer in the final minute and you would have thought they won the NCAA title, the way they jumped around and congratulated the shooter. He said he didn't have the heart to T them up for coming off the bench onto the floor.

BTW - all three of my games were won by margins in the 20s. It was a good ending to the season. I worked the three games with three different partners, and one of them was even older than me. I didn't think that was possible. :rolleyes:

icallfouls Sun May 23, 2010 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 678209)
Final day of spring league. I'm working an 8th grade boys game and there's a 7th grade boys game on the court adjacent to mine. We get to halftime just a few seconds before they do. I happen to look over at their scoreboard and it shows a score of 36-3. I ask one of the refs - a buddy of mine - if that's the "real" score or is it a mistake. He says it's the actual score, and the team with three scored all their points on free throws! He said the other team really wasn't pouring it on, either. They're setting up most of their shots, but sometimes they just can't help going on a breakaway. He said he felt bad it was such a beating, but that's just the way the game was going.

During breaks, I would look over and it was obvious the leading team was far superior. Their coach apparently told them to slow it down because they won "only" 59-14. These games were the last ones of the day for both of us and we walked out to the parking lot together. He told me the losing team hit a three pointer in the final minute and you would have thought they won the NCAA title, the way they jumped around and congratulated the shooter. He said he didn't have the heart to T them up for coming off the bench onto the floor.

BTW - all three of my games were won by margins in the 20s. It was a good ending to the season. I worked the three games with three different partners, and one of them was even older than me. I didn't think that was possible. :rolleyes:

Mark, you should start a Twitter account and tweet during games. I think it would be great to know what goes on in your head during a game. :D

Mark Padgett Sun May 23, 2010 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 678215)
I think it would be great to know what goes on in your head during a game. :D

Actually, nothing exists in a vacuum. :o

grunewar Mon May 24, 2010 07:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 678209)
Final day of not too competitive spring league.

Fixed it for ya..... ;)