The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 01:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Spring league follies part 2

Well, I had the JV "Alien Funk Squad" yesterday. They wore t-shirts, not jerseys, of four different colors - red, blue, purple and green with their team name on the front in white. No numbers, so we had to ask each player their number whenever there was a foul on them. Fortunately, the other team had nice black jerseys with large white numbers on both front and back.

One "Squad" member told me his number was "Uh-oh". I asked him to repeat it and he said, "You know - Uh-oh, double zero". We were able to memorize one guy's number because he fouled out in the first 15 minutes (22 minute running halves).

Just before the halftime horn, one of their guys swished a three from beyond the division line. Even though they were still behind by over 20 at that point, they went nuts. As I went to the table to make sure the scorer knew the shot was before the horn, the kid who made it came over and said, "That's a 4, right?" I said "what?" He said, "If I make it from the backcourt, I get 4 points, don't I?" I thought he was kidding, but he was serious. I replied, "Only under international rules, and we're not using those." He said "Oh" and walked away.

BTW - they lost by "only" 45. Now they're 1-11 for the season with two games to go. I wonder who they beat. Maybe it was one of the MS teams I have later today.
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 10:42pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

It sounds like this team might be aware of ABA Rules where shots from behind half court do count as 4 points.

Rules

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball