The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Would you ref solo in summer league (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58096-would-you-ref-solo-summer-league.html)

kmw Wed May 12, 2010 09:01pm

Would you ref solo in summer league

I have been approached by a HC to ref their summer league. It would be 3 games and each game would be 20 min halves with clock stopping in second half only. I have several issues with doing it- liability being the primary issue. Would you do it?

The coach is also wanting to know what my fee would be. She just finished her first year as head coach and was a very prominent college player. I don't know if I feel comfortable enough to tell her I don't think she is going to find anyone to do it solo - but I think its the reality.

grunewar Wed May 12, 2010 09:14pm

I dislike working solo very, very, very much and would never go into a game knowing I would be doing it solo, especially at some of the more senior age levels.

7/8 yr olds on an elementary school floor is much different than trying to do older teenagers on a HS floor.....

Nevadaref Wed May 12, 2010 09:16pm

Tell her that HS basketball is officiated with at least two officials. Perhaps she doesn't know that there is no system for a single ref.

Whether anyone should do it or not is a personal choice, but I would advise finding out what your/the league insurance policy needs in order to provide coverage.

Personally, I don't work 1-man games. Just too much headache to be worth it.

JRutledge Wed May 12, 2010 10:46pm

Not only would I officiate alone. I have officiated alone. And I took full advantage of it. I just would move wherever I wanted to and I would use it as exercise. I would probably run a few miles when you consider how many games I would do. It was great. That being said it helped my judgment and it helped my fitness. And it was summer ball where the ramifications were minimal. Granted this was several years ago and the league I worked was in my backyard.

Peace

mbyron Thu May 13, 2010 07:27am

The coach sounds inexperienced to me and perhaps hopes to save a few bucks by skimping on officials. I would not do it, and if I knew her at all I would tell her that she's (a) asking for trouble on the court, (b) likely to get crap officials for cheap solo work, and (c) not putting the players in a game-like situation by hiring only 1 ref.

If she persists, then I would allow her to learn her own lessons.

Raymond Thu May 13, 2010 07:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmw (Post 676618)
I have been approached by a HC to ref their summer league. It would be 3 games and each game would be 20 min halves with clock stopping in second half only. I have several issues with doing it- liability being the primary issue. Would you do it?

The coach is also wanting to know what my fee would be. She just finished her first year as head coach and was a very prominent college player. I don't know if I feel comfortable enough to tell her I don't think she is going to find anyone to do it solo - but I think its the reality.

Charge $70 a game then bring your own partner with you.

Jay R Thu May 13, 2010 08:04am

Ask the coach if you can bring a partner (give them a deal maybe).

I did something similar a few summers ago and brought along an eager young official who was happy just to get the experience of doing games and getting feedback form me. I was getting paid half price but in the summer I just want to the exercise anyway.

bradfordwilkins Thu May 13, 2010 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 676675)
Charge $70 a game then bring your own partner with you.

So you'd ask your partner to work for free?

26 Year Gap Thu May 13, 2010 08:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins (Post 676680)
So you'd ask your partner to work for free?

You would give him half. $70 per game is steep for summer ball. Esp if you are doing 3 games. Tell her you'll do it for 50 bucks if you can bring a partner.

irp Thu May 13, 2010 09:24am

Personally I would never agree up-front to work solo, insurance liability would be massive if there is an incident. That said, if I turned up and my partner(s) did not and both coaches were happy I would do so.

I would personally take a reduced rate and say that you need another official, perhaps it can be used to give experience to someone else who is new / willing to give it a go and maybe get qualified.

My £0.02 worth.

Nevadaref Thu May 13, 2010 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by irp (Post 676689)
That said, if I turned up and my partner(s) did not and both coaches were happy I would do so.

As long as your insurance policy covered you under those circumstances.
That's the problem. Unless you've checked and found out for sure, you are putting yourself in the same position. Not a good idea.

Mark Padgett Thu May 13, 2010 11:22am

I've worked a number of games solo but only when a partner didn't show up for one reason or another. When that happens in our local kids rec league, we get paid 1 1/2 times our normal rate, which seems fair since you don't do double the normal work, but you do do (do do - HA HA) 1 1/2 times the work.

Another "competitive" rec league I work pays us only an extra $5 if we wind up working solo. That sucks. That's one reason why I always confirm games by email with those partners even though the assignor maintains a website that indicates acceptance of games.

If you do wind up working alone, be sure to work FT line to FT line and alternate sides, although I recommend working the side opposite the coaches as much as possible. ;)

26 Year Gap Thu May 13, 2010 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 676711)
I've worked a number of games solo but only when a partner didn't show up for one reason or another. When that happens in our local kids rec league, we get paid 1 1/2 times our normal rate, which seems fair since you don't do double the normal work, but you do do (do do - HA HA) 1 1/2 times the work.

Another "competitive" rec league I work pays us only an extra $5 if we wind up working solo. That sucks. That's one reason why I always confirm games by email with those partners even though the assignor maintains a website that indicates acceptance of games.

If you do wind up working alone, be sure to work FT line to FT line and alternate sides, although I recommend working the side opposite the hot moms as much as possible. ;)

I think this is what you meant.:D

grunewar Thu May 13, 2010 11:40am

No, no, no.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 676711)

If you do wind up working alone, be sure to work FT line to FT line and alternate sides, although I recommend working the side opposite the coaches and near the hot moms as much as possible. ;)

I think THIS is what he meant!