The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Partner told me this today (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58069-partner-told-me-today.html)

Mark Padgett Sun May 09, 2010 09:00pm

Partner told me this today

Worked some MS spring league games this morning with an experienced guy. He told me that last week he was working with a second year guy. Here's what happened in one of their spring league JV games.

Team A scores and puts on a full court press. B1 inbounds to B2 and team B is having a hard time getting the ball across midcourt. All of a sudden, his partner blows his whistle and calls a three second violation on A1. Yes - A1. He was standing in what was his frontcourt lane but, of course, his team didn't have the ball.

My partner said he went over to the guy and asked him why he made the call. The guy replied that A1 was in the lane for three seconds and that he (the partner) had even yelled at him to get out of the lane twice!

My partner calmly explained the rule about three seconds requiring team control and the guy said, "Are you sure?" My partner said he replied, "Am I sure? You're asking me 'Am I Sure'? What are you - a coach?"

He then announced there was an inadvertent whistle and they resumed play.

He told me that was a new one for him. I told him it would have been a new one for me too.

JugglingReferee Sun May 09, 2010 09:32pm

Not sure if this newbie had 1 year of experience twice, or not.

Tio Sun May 09, 2010 10:14pm

perfect example where common sense could have helped.

Camron Rust Mon May 10, 2010 12:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 676182)
You left out the most important part.

Why is it the most important part? The OTHER TEAM HAD THE BALL. That is all we needed to know. If there is no team control, location is irrelevant.

Nevadaref Mon May 10, 2010 01:40am

Accurately reading the post is also important. :o

Nevadaref Mon May 10, 2010 01:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tio (Post 676186)

Common sense has nothing to do with it. Simply properly understanding and enforcing the rule as written would have handled the matter perfectly.

amusedofficial Mon May 10, 2010 03:13am

Who declared the inadvertent whistle?

ABC Coach Mon May 10, 2010 03:29am

Send that new ref here to Africa with us...he'll fit right in with our refs!

Adam Mon May 10, 2010 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tio (Post 676186)

Why common sense? Rules knowledge would have been sufficient.

Mark Padgett Mon May 10, 2010 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by amusedofficial (Post 676199)
Who declared the inadvertent whistle?

Obviously, it was the experienced guy. BTW - I asked him how the rest of the game went and he said it wasn't bad. Apparently the other guy thought every foul he called was a "hand check", however, since he used that mechanic pretty much every time regardless of what the foul was really for.

Ironically, I watched a young kid do that same thing in a park district league game in which one of my granddaughters was playing a few months ago. It wasn't the same guy, but maybe they got the same training or something.

Camron Rust Mon May 10, 2010 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 676219)
Why common sense? Rules knowledge would have been sufficient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 676197)
Common sense has nothing to do with it. Simply properly understanding and enforcing the rule as written would have handled the matter perfectly.

Consider a person who is very familiar with sports in general but doesn't know anything about basketball. Knowing what each team is trying to do at that point, would they think such a call made sense or not. I think they would and they'd agree that it didn't make any sense. Thus, common sense is adequate to get the right result in this case....explicit knowledge of the rule shouldn't have even been necessary.

Welpe Mon May 10, 2010 11:57am

One thing that can muddy the waters for the uninformed regarding the 3-seconds call is that the NBA actually does have a violation for defensive 3-seconds. We all know how many like to get their rules from the NBA.

Mark Padgett Mon May 10, 2010 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 676249)
One thing that can muddy the waters for the uninformed regarding the 3-seconds call is that the NBE actually does have a violation for defensive 3-seconds. We all know how many like to get their rules from the NBE.

Fixed it for ya'. ;)

Stat-Man Thu May 13, 2010 11:43pm

At the CYO game this past season where the other team had to forfeit for lack of players and we had a scrimmage instead, my partner called an offensive 3 second violation when the team in control had yet to cross the time line. :eek:

amusedofficial Sat May 15, 2010 06:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 676235)
Obviously, it was the experienced guy.

I ask only because I am a rather strong believer that the calling official should be the one to reverse his calls if if is pointed out to him to be incorrect -- and that includes everything from rules stupidity to getting an out-of-bounds call wrong. I don't like the tone that is set by one official overruling another. Better to give him the dope a chance to take it back, with a little conference involving head-nodding, even if the substance of the chat is to advise the offender that his love-life will be gravely endangered if he doesn't make it right.