The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 26, 2000, 05:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

No matter how long I officiate, I still can't understand why player control fouls are exempt from shooting. Yeah - I know you lose the ball, but you do that on a turnover. Yeah - I know the player still gets charged with a foul, but it seems like the penalty is more like a "semi-foul" than a full foul.

Think of it this way. I'm on offense. I don't have the ball. I swing my arm out in front of me and push a defensive player. They are in the bonus and he gets shots. Now imagine the same play, except I have the ball. I do exactly the same thing. No shots, just change of possession. What's the difference?

Yeah - I know if a PC foul is called on a shot, the shot doesn't count. Maybe just giving the ball to the other team in that case and wiping the basket out may seem equitable to you, but if the shot misses, it's just like a turnover again.

Bottom line - I really think we should eliminate the category of PC foul and treat it just like any other offensive foul.

Comments, please.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2000, 02:39am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alaska Ref:
[B]We are talking NF here, and i believe the intent is to give this foul a substantial penalty.

THEN WHY NO SHOTS?

BLOCK, ball can go plus 1 from the line.
CHARGE, ball can not go, but no chance for 1and1 or 2 from the line.

NOT ALL PC FOULS ARE CHARGES. SOME ARE FOR PUSHING OFF OR OTHER THINGS. WHY AREN'T THEY PENALIZED THE SAME AS IF THEY WERE CAUSED BY ANOTHER OFFENSIVE PLAYER WHO DIDN'T HAVE THE BALL?

Old Mon Mar 27, 2000, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Question - Is team penalized with foul too? I realize no shots for PC foul if in bonus, but does it still count as a team foul?
Old Mon Mar 27, 2000, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Smile

Jackgil,

Yes the foul counts just like any other foul, and like a common (before reaching bonus) the team brings the ball in from out of bounds.

------------------
Don
Old Mon Mar 27, 2000, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

once again, mark, i agree with you in principle. However, my understanding of the intent of the rules is written to benefit the offense, as this is a game of scoring.

Just as we give a shooter who is fouled 2 shots, but not any other common foul.

There are many rules where players with the ball have different conditions & penalties vs. non-ball players.

Just the way it is. Don't have to like it, or agree with it. But I wouldn't mind seeing the NF go with the NCAA mens rule (count the basket, shoot 1&1 on the other end)
Old Mon Mar 27, 2000, 07:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pizanno:
[B]once again, mark, i agree with you in principle. However, my understanding of the intent of the rules is written to benefit the offense, as this is a game of scoring.

Just as we give a shooter who is fouled 2 shots, but not any other common foul.

THIS IS BECAUSE THE FOUL CAUSED THE SHOT TO MISS. IT IS EQUITABLE.

There are many rules where players with the ball have different conditions & penalties vs. non-ball players.

LIKE WHAT?