The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Examples of ambiguous T/F questions from the NF exam (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57980-examples-ambiguous-t-f-questions-nf-exam.html)

efbyon Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:56pm

Examples of ambiguous T/F questions from the NF exam

Hi guys,

Just wondering if I could get some help here...can anyone provide examples from past NF basketball exams of true/false questions that was considered poorly worded and/or ambiguous? Of course, "poorly worded" and "ambiguous" may be subjective, but our association has had some pretty interesting discussions on certain questions over the years, so I would imagine that there are other officials that may have felt the same way as our guys might have. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fred Byon

Nevadaref Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:44am

True or False: You know how to use the search function on this forum.

Indianaref Wed Apr 28, 2010 06:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 675063)
True or False: You know how to use the search function on this forum.

Simpler said than done.

Jurassic Referee Wed Apr 28, 2010 07:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 675069)
Simpler said than done.

Yup, but anyvbody trying to answer the original question has to do the same research work. No?

bob jenkins Wed Apr 28, 2010 07:31am

T/F: This statement is False.

mbyron Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 675075)
T/F: This statement is False.

Thank you, Prof. Gödel.

bradfordwilkins Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:21am

I had one that annoyed me to no end --

Basically it had to do with the score being final and the game over when the official (singular) has left the visual confines of the court.

It should've been plural and probably included the word "all" officials... because while that statement could be true, it could also be false depending on the 2nd/3rd official.

mbyron Wed Apr 28, 2010 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins (Post 675082)
I had one that annoyed me to no end --

Basically it had to do with the score being final and the game over when the official (singular) has left the visual confines of the court.

It should've been plural and probably included the word "all" officials... because while that statement could be true, it could also be false depending on the 2nd/3rd official.

As you know, the answer to NFHS questions is 'false' unless the statement is true in every respect.

As you also know, nobody is supposed to get 100% on the test; errors are supposed to spark further study of the rules. So poorly worded questions are to be expected as a means to an end.

bradfordwilkins Wed Apr 28, 2010 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 675107)
As you know, the answer to NFHS questions is 'false' unless the statement is true in every respect.

As you also know, nobody is supposed to get 100% on the test; errors are supposed to spark further study of the rules. So poorly worded questions are to be expected as a means to an end.

I didn't know that -- in fact the proctor afterwards told me the answer was "true" and I was over-thinking the question... We didn't use it as a launching point.

Mark Padgett Wed Apr 28, 2010 04:33pm

This was probably the easiest question in the history of the test.

Q: Billy Packer is an idiot.
A: T/T

icallfouls Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 675118)
This was probably the easiest question in the history of the test.

Q: Billy Packer is an idiot.
A: T/T

Since when did the NFHS start using rhetoricals on the exams? ;)

bob jenkins Fri Apr 30, 2010 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 675335)
Since when did the NFHS start using rhetoricals on the exams? ;)

Sorry, but that's not a true/false question.

Of course, maybe that's what makes it fit the thread.