The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   He's got legs, he knows how to use them ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57928-hes-got-legs-he-knows-how-use-them.html)

BillyMac Tue Apr 20, 2010 07:30pm

He's Got Legs, He Knows How To Use Them ...

(Apologies to ZZ Top)

In the past my local IAABO board only assigned AAU games when the games were in conjunction with our local camp. Now our board is assigning AAU games for several tournaments over the next few months. I plan on working games in these tournaments for several reasons: get in some running, stay on top of my game, see some of my buddies that I don't normally see in the off season, and make a few bucks.

Problem. Since, other than camps, I have never worked spring, or summer, ball, I don't own a nice pair of black shorts for officiating. I always wore long pants for the camps. Does anyone have a suggestion, or a link, to where I can purchase a few pairs of black officiating shorts? They can be belted, or beltless. I take pride in my appearance, and always like to look professional, so I don't just want to run down to our local sporting goods store and buy a pair of black running shorts.

Another silly question. With black officiating shorts, do I wear black socks, or white socks?

grunewar Tue Apr 20, 2010 07:49pm

I hear's ya Billy

I had the same issue last yr........

I bought my mid-leg, length running shorts from Runners World. They're not short. I did find that you can get them in most any sporting goods store though.

We wear white socks.

I do however bring a complete, regular uniform just in case.......as happened at a tourney a few weekends ago when my partner wore the wrong uni. ;)

Nevadaref Tue Apr 20, 2010 08:12pm

Where I am ALL summer games, including camps, are officiated in shorts. Most people just go down the sporting goods store and pick up a pair of Adidas, Nike, Reebox, etc. As long as they are black, no one is going to say a word.
People wear either white or black socks. There is no standard on that in this locale.

JRutledge Tue Apr 20, 2010 08:33pm

Do everyone a favor and wear shorts that are long. Do not buy those ugly coaching shorts (I do not know what you mean by officiating shorts BTW anyway). :D

Also wear white socks, it looks better and you do not look corny.

Peace

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 20, 2010 08:47pm

You might try these. They look pretty good, especially with the black socks.

http://www.binarybasketball.com/site...ack-Shorts.jpg

26 Year Gap Tue Apr 20, 2010 08:56pm

Some AAU, like the tournaments that Disney runs, require us to be in full uniform. Many others allow shorts. I have some black Nike shorts that have pockets. Some want us with white socks. Some want black socks. But they are the short socks, not the 'normal' length socks. I would ask the assignors what the proper dress is for each tournament.

And leave the fishnets at home. Unless you have a night game.

Nevadaref Tue Apr 20, 2010 09:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 674468)
Some AAU, like the tournaments that Disney runs, require us to be in full uniform. Many others allow shorts. I have some black Nike shorts that have pockets. Some want us with white socks. Some want black socks. But they are the short socks, not the 'normal' length socks. I would ask the assignors what the proper dress is for each tournament.

And leave the fishnets at home. Unless you have a night game.

We don't allow the tournament folks to dictate anything to us. We tell them what we are going to do and if they don't like it they can find other officials.

I believe that the powers that be in your local area are making a huge mistake by allowing the tournament directors too much say on officiating matters.

Camron Rust Wed Apr 21, 2010 01:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 674469)
We don't allow the tournament folks to dictate anything to us. We tell them what we are going to do and if they don't like it they can find other officials.

I believe that the powers that be in your local area are making a huge mistake by allowing the tournament directors too much say on officiating matters.

It is not like the tournament director wants to have veto power over foul calls.

I don't have a problem with the TD/customer wanting to buy a certain product with a certain image to give his event the appearance of a higher level of professionalism than the others...as long as he's paying more than the ones using officials that can wear shorts.

BillyMac Wed Apr 21, 2010 05:58am

You Don't Know What You Don't Know ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 674461)
I do not know what you mean by officiating shorts BTW anyway.

I don't either. This is new territory for me.

mbyron Wed Apr 21, 2010 06:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 674490)
I don't either. This is new territory for me.

Never heard of officiating shorts? Tosh.

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/Pur...g/SS-PSS_0.jpg

JRutledge Wed Apr 21, 2010 08:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 674492)
Never heard of officiating shorts? Tosh.

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/Pur...g/SS-PSS_0.jpg

All you have to do is go to a sporting goods store of some kind and buy them. I have several pairs I have bought over the years. And that is what many people wear when at local camps and working AAU ball.

Peace

grunewar Wed Apr 21, 2010 08:58am

Uniform Police and Full Disclosure......

....and, FYI, my shorts even have a small (barely noticiable) manufacturers logo on it and no one has said anything to me yet. :rolleyes:

JRutledge Wed Apr 21, 2010 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 674501)
....and, FYI, my shorts even have a small (barely noticiable) manufacturers logo on it and no one has said anything to me yet. :rolleyes:

Isn't that the case with most of them? I have several pair with a Nike logo on them. Then again I get the joke. :D

Peace

dsqrddgd909 Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:42am

Any nice golf shorts will do. I wear a belt..(oh, the horror). I wear short black socks.

JRutledge Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 674509)
Any nice golf shorts will do. I wear a belt..(oh, the horror). I wear short black socks.

That just looks ugly. But that is after all a personal choice. :D

Peace