The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 11:29am
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile Ya' gotta love spring league

Three sixth grade boys games yesterday. First game, team A scores the first 25 points of the game. Team B gets their first point on a technical foul FT because A1 reached over the endline and slapped the ball during a throw-in. B1 made one of two. Team A won the game 65-10.

Second game, both teams played "slow down" style. I loved it. Just getting to stand still for two or three minutes with the clock running is my kind of game. Team A eventually won 28-14. Fortunately, they had at least a 10 point lead in the last two minutes of the game so we didn't change from running clock to stop clock.

Third game was the best of all. Two hot moms at the scorer's table, one on the book, the other on the clock. I went to the table at virtually every break to "check something". A few times, one of them would motion for one of us to come over for a question so I made sure I responded before my partner did. Here's the best part - at halftime, hot clock mom pulled a bottle of water out of her purse and started to drink it. Hot book mom was turning around in her chair and accidentally bumped hot clock mom's arm so she spilled quite a bit of the water on her knit top. Need I say more? Oh yeah - the final score was team A something and team B something or other, I guess. All I know was the game didn't go in OT. I had mixed feelings about that.

Can't wait until next weekend. Maybe I'll get those same two teams.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 11:52am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
While I start Spring Leagues tonight, something tells me it's not going to be "this good."
Old Sat Apr 24, 2010, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Mark, just wondering as I have seen many posts from you regarding many games. How many games do you call weekly and how long is your season with the different leagues?

You stay a busy man from what I can tell!
Old Sat Apr 24, 2010, 06:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Mark, just wondering as I have seen many posts from you regarding many games. How many games do you call weekly and how long is your season with the different leagues?

You stay a busy man from what I can tell!
I'm usually off in the summer, mostly June, July and August. Fall leagues start in Sept. and I work through May. Some weeks I have as many as 18 games (I had 23 in a week once last year) but I average during "regular" season about 12-14.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2010, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Three sixth grade boys games yesterday. First game, team A scores the first 25 points of the game. Team B gets their first point on a technical foul FT because A1 reached over the endline and slapped the ball during a throw-in.
I hope that this was a throw-in from the frontcourt awarded after a violation or a foul, and not that the team which was ahead 25-0 was pressing full-court.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2010, 10:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I hope that this was a throw-in from the frontcourt awarded after a violation or a foul, and not that the team which was ahead 25-0 was pressing full-court.
Yes, it was in the frontcourt and it wasn't after either a violation or a foul. So - can you figure out why there was a throw-in?
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Yes, it was in the frontcourt and it wasn't after either a violation or a foul. So - can you figure out why there was a throw-in?
Held ball?
Stoppage for an injury?
Resumption from a time-out?
Accidental whistle?
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Start of the 2nd quarter or 2nd Half???

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 11:30am
certified Hot Mom tester

Resumption of play following a timeout. The cool thing about the league is that each team gets two timeouts per half (no carryover) and they're all 30s.
Old Thu Apr 29, 2010, 04:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Two things

Last Sunday, I tossed a 7th grade coach. His player was fouled on the drive, I called it, then his player turned and threw the ball at the head of the player who had fouled him. WHACK. Coach yelled that he was "going OOB and was just trying to save the ball from going out" - if you can believe that. I told him the play was already dead and his player was going to shoot two FTs, and that he could have really hurt the other player. Coach threw out his hands and said I was nuts. WHACK. He then went on about how "we" (meaning my partner and me, I guess) didn't know what we were doing. I gave him the stop sign and said "That's enough, coach". He threw out his hands again and said we might has well toss him because it wouldn't matter anyway because we were "favoring the other team". WHACK.

His guy made one of two, a player from the other team made all six of his, they inbounded and hit a three. This all happened with about ten minutes left in the game. His team wound up losing by three. If they would have hit their free throws down the stretch, they would have won the game, but they missed at least seven or eight in the last two minutes.

Now the really good news. I just got my schedule for this coming weekend and one of my 7th grade games has a team coached by David Lucas (who I've mentioned a few times before). He's a terrific coach and this should be a lot of fun. That other coach has a game at the same time on the next court over, so I'll make sure I give him a wave as I walk by.