The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   be a lead camp? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57880-lead-camp.html)

AKOFL Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:54pm

be a lead camp?

Anyone been to this camp. it is comming up here to Wasilla and I am going. just wondering what to expect. Any thoughts?

mbyron Thu Apr 15, 2010 02:20pm

What if I want to be a trail and a center, too?
:D

Raymond Thu Apr 15, 2010 02:40pm

Are there enough officials in your neck of the woods to hold a camp?

AKOFL Thu Apr 15, 2010 02:45pm

I suggest you try to attend the Be a trail and be a center camps. It will help thoes who really don't like the lead position. Focus will be on how to screw up the lead in every way possible. also covered will be how to poach calls from the lead. Finally, how to keep from becoming a lead.:D

Kingsman1288 Thu Apr 15, 2010 03:17pm

If it's anything like the Be A Lead camps they have down here in SoCal (Yes I know...SoCal officials) it should be pretty good. They have them every summer out at UC Irvine and I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it. It's primarily a teaching camp, but I do know some people who got picked up for JC at the camp.

26 Year Gap Thu Apr 15, 2010 05:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 673846)
What if I want to be a trail and a center, too?
:D

Well, he COULD be referring to a pencil lead. Or a fast driver. Or a slow moving official who has lead in his shoes.

Mark Padgett Thu Apr 15, 2010 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 (Post 673854)
Before inbounding the ball on the baseline, remember to put the player's a** to the glass.

Please explain what the h-e-double-hockey-sticks this means. I can't imagine putting a players a** against the backboard. Thanks.

AKOFL Thu Apr 15, 2010 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 673848)
Are there enough officials in your neck of the woods to hold a camp?

Clearly we do or we wouldn't have a camp now would we.:rolleyes:

Kingsman1288 Fri Apr 16, 2010 02:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 673863)
Please explain what the h-e-double-hockey-sticks this means. I can't imagine putting a players a** against the backboard. Thanks.

A couple seasons ago, some of the more junior members were having an issue with properly administering a baseline throw-in. Namely, they would stand in between the inbounder and the basket. One of the JV instructors came up with this lovely little saying to remind those officials that they should not be between the inbounder and the basket.

BillyMac Fri Apr 16, 2010 06:39am

IAABO Option ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 (Post 673903)
They should not be between the inbounder and the basket.

According to IAABO mechanics, this is allowed as an option in a two person game if it will give the lead a better look at the anticipated action. Personally, I've never used it, never have in almost thirty years. I've always found the "box in" principle (official, ball, partner) to work just fine in a two person game.

Mark Padgett Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 (Post 673903)
A couple seasons ago, some of the more junior members were having an issue with properly administering a baseline throw-in. Namely, they would stand in between the inbounder and the basket. One of the JV instructors came up with this lovely little saying to remind those officials that they should not be between the inbounder and the basket.

So none of these guys know that baselines are in baseball and endlines are in basketball?

bradfordwilkins Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 673906)
According to IAABO mechanics, this is allowed as an option in a two person game if it will give the lead a better look at the anticipated action. Personally, I've never used it, never have in almost thirty years. I've always found the "box in" principle (official, ball, partner) to work just fine in a two person game.

Depends where the ball is being inbounded. Are you telling me you box in the play if it goes out of bound close to the 3 point line?

tref Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins (Post 673944)
Depends where the ball is being inbounded. Are you telling me you box in the play if it goes out of bound close to the 3 point line?

Also depends on which direction we're going...

I wouldn't, but it is optional under IAABO mechanics.

bradfordwilkins Fri Apr 16, 2010 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 673948)
Also depends on which direction we're going...

Right, if the ball is going the opposite direction I'll be on the outside of the play (since thats where I'm going anyway)

If the ball is staying at the nearest basket, I'm taking that inside position.

Mark Padgett Fri Apr 16, 2010 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 673842)
Anyone been to this camp. it is comming up here to Wasilla and I am going. just wondering what to expect. Any thoughts?

Is Sarah conducting the camp? If so, better bring a shotgun - and lots of ammo (lead - as in the name of the camp). She'll be teaching math (trigger-nomitry).

http://prettyboring.com/files/images...ni.preview.jpg