The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 06:54pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The chart on page 71 of the NFHS rules book lists "excess time-out" in the "Administrative" box.
Good eye, Nevada. Does this mean that you can't T-up a team for an excessive time out if they've already received one for a book violation? That doesn't add up.

As for "fashion police" thing, the toughest thing is getting everyone on the same page in how to enforce these rules. The league coordinator in Mark's case made an effort to do so; we have a hard enough time doing this in regular season, especially in middle school.

When it's a travel league or scrimmage or off-season game, I can take or leave "properly and legally equipped." If the board expects you to follow a rule, however, then I play by the book.

My board made it clear to me that middle schools are expected to play by the same uniform rules (except that the home team must wear white -- that's varsity only) as the high schools. I wonder if they made it clear to everyone else, because I ran into a series of uniform issues this year. I don't mind enforcing these rules, but they become a hardship when others aren't doing their jobs.

Last edited by bainsey; Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 06:57pm.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
No, it's just a team technical foul. The team still gets the time-out, but they have to pay the price of the T.
Perhaps you are unaware that a team can be charged with a technical foul for either an administrative infraction or an unsporting act. One doesn't know the reason just because a team technical foul is charged. It could even be for delay of game.
Your response didn't answer Mark's question. Mine did.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Good eye, Nevada. Does this mean that you can't T-up a team for an excessive time out if they've already received one for a book violation? That doesn't add up.
Doesn't mean that at all. The rule is not that a team can only receive one administrative technical foul following the 10-minute mark prior to the game. The rule is that a team shall only receive one technical foul no matter how many violations of the five specific administrative items listed in 10-1-2 it commits. This is not all-inclusive. Somewhere along the way someone misinformed you.

You are kind of new here. Stick around and your understanding of the rules will greatly improve. There are a lot of really sharp people on this forum.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 09:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
There are a lot of really sharp people on this forum.
Are you talking about head shapes?

Two things stood out in today's three MS games. In the first, my partner teed up a coach. At the next break, I asked him what happened. He said the guy complained about the lack of a three second call. My partner gave him the stop sign and he still said something. According to my partner, the guy wasn't really bad and never raised his voice but just wouldn't stop talking.

The other thing was somewhat of a pleasant surprise for me. There is a guy I know who holds camps for MS kids at this venue and he has a bunch of teams playing in this spring league. He coaches a few of them himself. He is David Lucas, younger son of "The Enforcer" Maurice Lucas. I've known David since he was in third grade and played in our local kids rec league. His older brother Maurice Jr. (called "Reece") was in the same grade as my son and they went through HS together. Reece also played in our rec league for quite a few years (and yes, Maurice Sr. would come to some of both boys games). I had David coaching a 7th grade team in my second game today. We said hi to each other before the game. He did a great job and his team won by almost 40. He's a terrific young man and I wish him well.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 10:02pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Perhaps you are unaware that a team can be charged with a technical foul for either an administrative infraction or an unsporting act....Somewhere along the way someone misinformed you.
Maybe, maybe not. It could just be me. The crux of this was my understanding of "administrative," which I considered only to be book-related.

That's what threw me off about Mark's question. How could calling an excessive time-out be book-related? I thought. The definition goes well beyond that, I see. Thanks for the heads up.