The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   40-2 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/5771-40-2-a.html)

mick Wed Sep 11, 2002 08:59am

In the first game last night, the half-time score was H40-V2.
The home team pressed throughout the first quarter 28-0 and into the 2nd quarter.
Michigan was allowed by Fed to retain the 40-point mercy rule for sub-varsity games. Thank you.
Final score : 58-3

In the 3rd quarter, Free-throw shooter H1 stepped over the line before the ball got iron. (Ball went in.) "Violation!"

Very next trip V1 stepped over the line before the ball got iron (Ball went in.) (Score was 46-2)

Practically, does the Trail see her step over the line?

A Pennsylvania Coach Wed Sep 11, 2002 09:26am

Based on the "3" in the final score, I'm going to guess this was ignored. In this blowout situation, I'd agree except that it was <i> just called </i> at the other end. I think you'd have to call this one, if you called it within the last few minutes against the opponents. If the call was a quarter or two ago, might be a different story. Just my perception of things.

ChuckElias Wed Sep 11, 2002 09:57am

Please. This is the equivalent of the Pats/Steelers ending. Steelers score a meaningless TD and there's one second left on the clock. But you know what? The refs decided there really wasn't one second left. Game over.

Same thing here. A meaningless FT for a JV team that's getting smoked. The ref decided that she didn't actually step over. Let's get this thing over with.

To be fair, I have no real problem with calling it, especially if it's totally obvious to everybody. Then you might have to call it. But if I'm the observer at that game, I have NO problem with moving on. As always, just my two cents.

Chuck

Dan_ref Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:03am

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
The home team pressed throughout the first quarter 28-0 and into the 2nd quarter.
Michigan was allowed by Fed to retain the 40-point mercy rule for sub-varsity games. Thank you.

In the 3rd quarter, Free-throw shooter H1 stepped over the line before the ball got iron. (Ball went in.) "Violation!"

Very next trip V1 stepped over the line before the ball got iron (Ball went in.) (Score was 46-2)

No.

rainmaker Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:03pm

Quote:

"Coach, the table was signalling me about the book. Sorry!"

bard Wed Sep 11, 2002 01:37pm

<b>Life!! Don't talk to me about life!

--Marvin the Paranoid Android in
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by
Douglas Adams</b>

Juulie,

Given all of the academic reading that you appear to do, I'm glad to see you take the time to enjoy some "real" literature!

rockyroad Wed Sep 11, 2002 02:53pm

Not only don't call it - don't even see it!!! Be looking at "something else" - like Juulie suggested the table, or an "unruly fan" or something...

And is the meaning of life still 87 according to the Hitch-hiker's Guide???

hawkk Wed Sep 11, 2002 03:33pm

mick Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:14pm

"No basket !"

Sorry folks.

I called both of 'em. Both were the front ends of a bonus, and I'm thinking "...if this counts so does the next one."

Even the home team fans groaned a little, and I heard one of the "Home Moms" say, "Aw you should've given it to her."

I'll tell ya, it was a lose-lose situation.

mick

Mark Padgett Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:53pm

Re:

Quote:

I heard one of the "Home Moms" say, "Aw you should've given it to her." mick

I bet you didn't hear any of the "Home Moms" say, "Aw, she shouldn't have stepped over the line."

Make the call. It's the only way they learn to do things correctly and learn they will be penalized if they don't.

rainmaker Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:17am

Re: Re:

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Make the call. It's the only way they learn to do things correctly and learn they will be penalized if they don't.

Mark, as you know, generally I agree with you. But I've had teams where the girls just DIDN"T learn. I did one game where the score was oh, 82 -15 or some such. I called the point guard (losing team) for carrying the ball at least 10 times, I'm not exaggerating. In the last five minutes the winning coach finally called me over, and said, "Don't call it any more on MY account!"

Incidentally, I'd had him two other games that season which were all blow-outs in his favor. At the end of this third game, he told me he thought I'd done a very good job. Two weeks later when he lost, I wasn't doing quite so well!!

Stan Thu Sep 12, 2002 08:49am

Re: Re:

[[/B][/QUOTE]

I bet you didn't hear any of the "Home Moms" say, "Aw, she shouldn't have stepped over the line."

Make the call. It's the only way they learn to do things correctly and learn they will be penalized if they don't. [/B][/QUOTE]
I have to agree with Mr. Padgett. Although I do let somethings go when calling elementary kid's games. Kind of an advantage/disadvantage thing isn't it?